My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Lavinia World - Light As a Feather

Greetings, Blogging Friends!
Hope this finds you well, and enjoying life.
I had a very difficult time photographing today's project, but hopefully you'll be able to see what I did.


IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER Lavinia World Challenge!
Details of our challenge:
Challenges begin every other Thursday with an Anything-Goes theme for chances to win a $15 gift certificate to the store, and badges for your blog. Use ANY brand clear or rubber stamp - no digitals. If your project features Lavinia World stamps, your chances to win double.

While "our" Lavinia World store is located in the US, it ships worldwide. Buy $25 and get free shipping! Lavinia World carries other coordinating products for your convenience (like Brushos, inks, art supplies and dies).


Today's project is sparkly and full of shiny details. First, a background was created using watercolor pigments and metallics, and then stamped with Distress inks and Distress Oxide inks using the Feather stamp. This stamp's detail is exquisite!


I trimmed it down, die cut a frame from royal blue mirror cardstock to coordinate with the blue feather die cut. Various copper colored ribbons and twine were wrapped around the background paper:


The little Fairy Forager was stamped with Blue Belle Versafine Clair ink and heat set with clear detail embossing powder. Stamped on a little piece of left over background paper and loosely fussy cut, the fairy was placed on the slant, as though she is resting on the copper twine. 

The Feather, stamped in Warm Breeze Versafine Clair ink, was stamped once on turquoise vellum, and once on plain vellum, heat set with white detail powder containing glitter, and clear detail powder. The detail is extraordinary, and I apologize for the poor photography, unable to capture the crisp embossed images.



The vellum (with heat set feathers) is actually shiny and glistening, but when I photographed them, the camera picked up more shine than detail. Feathers were die cut from the blue mirror cardstock, and the copper glossy cardstock - each providing a complementary texture.

This photo was taken in the dark, without lights and no flash on the camera, to better show the stamp details:



The sentiment is PoppyStamps Fairy Loose Script, and was cut once from the blue mirror CS and once from white cardstock to help show it off. The "wings" portion was computer generated and lined with White Galaxy Opaque Marker.

I learned a lot making this project because it was full of new-to-me ingredients, and many unused items from my stash! Because I kept dropping things during my creative process, I deliberately adhered the framed panel on an angle:



Thanks for visiting! Hope I didn't write too much, but I also wanted to convey what was done to each layer.

Wishing you a lovely week-end, and many happy fairy days ahead!
Remember! ANY brand rubber or clear stamp is acceptable in the challenge, so hop on over and play!

Products:
Challenges I'd like to play in please:



  1. Joy of Sets Tic Tac Toe (JOSTTT007) Last Column Copper Twine--Die Cut--Heat Embossing 8/3
  2. Die Cuttin' Divas #429 Embossing Heat or Dry (dry embossed both SB feathers, heat embossed the two stamped feathers and the stamped fairy) 7/23 bottom of post
  3. Creative Fingers Challenge #168 Anything Goes 8/12 (check chal 170)
  4. Creative Crafters #17 Anything Goes 8/15
  5. A Perfect Time to Craft #7 Anything Goes 8/1
  6. ScrapyLand Challenge #117 Anything Goes SL dies (SB and PS listed above) 8/1
  7. World Wide Open DT Challenge #7 AG DT 8/15
  8. Dragonfly Dreams Challenge (July 7) Things With Wings 8/7



Stamping Hugs,




62 comments:

Chris said...

This is beautiful Donna, it was the amazing colours that first caught my eye, fabulous combination of blues and bronze.The background is stunning with the delicate feather stamp. Love the thought process of fairy wings and feathers!
xx

KraftyKoolKat said...

Such a beautiful array of colours & look of texture Donna. Such a gorgeous background.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Lisa said...

This is so stunning, Donna!! The shimmer is amazing!! I love the beautiful background and the colors!! So artistic and gorgeous, my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Bunny said...

I love the colors. The card is beautiful. The feathers look great. Very creative. [Bunny]

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is a stunning card. I love it. There are just so many fabulous details. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Lori Kobular said...

Donna your card is awesome! I can't believe I missed that feather stamp! Of course after seeing your card I want that feather die too! I love the background you made, the colors are perfect together! Absolutely gorgeous card!!

Natalia said...

Wow,that is so pretty, love those colors ☺

Wendy L said...

Wowzer, that background is amazing. Love the card, xxxx

Linda Simpson said...

This is stunning Donna, I do love the feather background and layout.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Krafty Kaylin said...

this is a very pretty and sparkly card. love the die cut feathers. thanks for playing a long at JOSTTT.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Donna, how cool is that, it has an almost pearly finish to it that I just love. How fun to have played with new stuff, always makes it more interesting to create :) I like how you wrapped the top portion too, very clever.

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's a beautiful card Donna, fab colours

gr karin

Natalia said...

I am looking forqard to see more of those pretty crafts, so I am following, greetings from Poland ☺

Sue said...

Hi Donna, That is beautiful. I love the colours on the backing card.

Hope you are having a nice week. Sue

Margarets designer cards said...

Fabulous card and brilliant colouring

Mac Mable said...

What a stunner of a card, so unique and absolutely amazing. Great colours, great design and love the background and all the eye catching feather elements x.

Steph Ackerman said...

Very pretty, amazing colors.

Beebeebabs said...

Wow another beautiful card - love the background and shimmer - another fabulous card thanks for sharing!!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

So very gorgeous and in such wonderful colors.

Donna said...

So stunning with with your gorgeous background and design!

Julie Odil said...

I love all the sheen on this, Donna. That feather looks much bigger than I would have anticipated! I'm glad I've been able to check it out on your blog. The colors of this are gorgeous.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Donna wow your work is amazing i love the different mediums that you have used to make your card,just stunning,well done.
A;lso i am your newest follower hope you will visit and follow me too,hope you have a lovely day xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

So in love with these colors, Donna! Love how you stamped the feather background. Hope you haven't melted in all this heat. This weekend looks like it's gonna be brutal! We've got a baking sauna going on here. Hey, good for the pores! haha xoxox

Sue said...

WOW! What gorgeous colors, textures and design!! Love the feather background and the metallic twine with your darling fairy perched on it. The added feather dies look awesome too. Wonderful card, love everything about it Donna.

Hugs
Sue

Monica C. said...

Wow Donna, this is exquisite. I can only image how gorgeous it is in real life. Thank you for sharing your process with us, I always enjoy reading how you created your masterpieces.
I have been out of state for a week, but it was pretty warm up in Georgia too, so I did not feel too out of place lol.
Hugs Monica

brenda said...

I'm running late this week Donna but wanted to jut pop in and say what a pretty card in the wonderful Peacock colours.

B x

Shona Erlenborn said...

What an amazing color palette, Donna, and all the different layers and textures are gorgeous. Love how you used the different ribbons and threads and the feathered background. So many beautiful details - just stunning!

Anne Temple said...

This is gorgeous Donna! I love how the background turned out. Great color combo.

cotnob said...

This is beautiful Donna, you have created a fabulous background and I love the gorgeous, rich colours.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my word, what a beautiful background! That feather stamp surely is very detailed and it looks absolutely exquisite in the repeat stamping. Lots of beautiful gloss and shimmer in your different parts, and I know how hard that is to photograph, but it appears to show up beautifully. There's a real luminous effect to your background, especially after you've constructed the the card so it peeks out. Lovely, Donna!

Dawn Phillips said...

Wow, that background is awesome. Love Dawn x

pam said...

OMW stunning creation Donna, love those gorgeous colours and beautiful design
Pam x

Donna Phelan said...

Oooh that background is absolutely magical! I love the colors and shine....and the brighter lighter colors make it appear as if another fairy or two is flitting by! I can see that as a card all by itself, with a bold black sentiment topping it. Fantastic!

Angie McKenzie said...

Love your background. Thanks for participating in the #JOSTTT007 challenge this month.

Sarah said...

What a sensational piece of work. I love the detail and the rich blue is gorgeous xx

Lena said...

This is a work of art Donna. The colours are just amazing! The combination of the colours with the bronze of the ribbons is stunning. So much dimension and texture! Gorgeous!
Have a great day.
Big hugs,
♥ Lena
Lena’s Creations

Pia S said...

You make me want to go fetch my feather stash. This looks amazing. I really like how you arranged ribbon and string with the feathers. The colors are beautiful too.

Laura's Craft Closet said...

Your background is spectacular! Thanks for playing along at Joy of Sets!

DIANA L. said...

Wow! That is gorgeous Donn. I love the colors. The feathers are fabulous

CA Scrapper said...

So beautiful!! Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin' Divas this week.

Leslie

creationsnz said...

O wow, how fabulous is this! Stunning colours too. CarolG

Valerija said...

Oh my goodness this is just adorable card and such wonderful colours. Love it!!
Valerija xx

aussie aNNie said...

EXQUISITE is the word...love this delightful and gorgeous design, the shine is amazing.
You asked re the Arteza paints? I love them, they are easy to use and the colours are gorgeous. I only have the 24 gouache colours as a trial to see if I liked them. I had to get them via amazon as Australia doesn't sell them from what I could see. I only used a smidge on my Lavinia project. Thanks for my last win, I was allowed to give the coupon away as it was going to cost me a fortune in postage to Australia so dear Bunny has it now and makes me feel good to give it to her.xxx

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation Donna, love the background! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters. We hope to see you again.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

April said...

Beautiful card and background!

Monica C. said...

Such a gorgeous creation! Back again with a DT hat on.
Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Monica DT Member for https://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com/


Loose Stitches said...

I'm back again to see your beautiful creation Donna! :) Thank you for sharing with us over at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

Fiona said...

A lovely creation Donna - I love seeing how you made the background - thanks for joining us at JOSTTT this month - hope to see you again next month. Fiona, DT

crafty said...

A stunning card. Thank you for joning in our Things with wings challenge at Dragonfly Dreams.
Mary

Shelly Schmidt said...

How beautiful! I am loving your colors, and really enjoyed seeing the background of your make!

Andrea said...

Wow, the colours on this card are just amazing. It's fabulous. Thanks for joining us at #jostttt007 this month.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous background and love the feathers
carol x

aussie aNNie said...

De I had to re follow you?? Blogger must have taken me away which made me angry...back on again...xxx

aussie aNNie said...

Thank you also for your kind words and I also have changed my options so you can just return via blog post.xx

Lori m said...

Stunning and beyond, so beautiful and your background and layers are just gorgeous, hugs, Lori m

Lori said...

Beautiful! You created an amazing background and your feathers are fabulous!

*Vicki* said...

Hello friend!! I am REALLY loving that colorful feather background you've made here! It looks amazing along with your feathered accents and cute little fairy too! I am in a "happy place" right now! Glad to see your blog again and be able to just sit and enjoy!! HUGS

Migdalia said...

WOW! This is just Stunning! I love the beautiful gold & blue!! The die cuts are just lovely!!
I would love for you to enter my "Thank you" GIVEAWAY over at my blog
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia Rodriguez
Migdalia's Crafts

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW this is so cool...I love the brilliant blues and the magical theme Donna
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Donna said...

Beautiful card and stunning background Donna!

mum of two said...

So pretty! Thanks so much for playing with us at Die Cuttin Divas. Hope to see you again soon :)

michelle (Die Cuttin Divas DT)
Purple Monkey Moments

Archana Sehgal said...

Amazing.. Thank you so much for your entry at
The Creative Crafters
DT Archana Sehgal
Archu's Art World