My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Love is in the Air {Scrapy Land}

A Big Hello to my Sweet Crafting Friends!
Welcome to Scrapy Land Challenge #34!



Theme: "Love Is In The Air" - (Valentine's) PLUS use Die Cut brands sold by Scrapy Land
Up for grabs is a $15 gift card to the Scrapy Land Store, and several badge opportunities, as well. 
We love being inspired by your pretty card submissions to our challenges.
You have until January 31 to submit your pretties!


My 6" square Project uses the following Scrapy Land Products:
QuicKutz Nesting Hearts, and Nesting Scallop Hearts
Crafter's Companion Die'Sire Rose Vine embossing folder
Crafter's Companion Die'Sire Floral Wonder embossing folder
Cuttlebug Swiss Dot embossing Folder (around image)
Memory Box Butterflies: Cascadia Trio, Leavenworth Trio
Spellbinders Grand Square Scallops Nestabilities
Boo Boo Time!

It's fun showing off my boo-boo's LOL
I wanted to use lots of embossed textures on this card, soooooo...
that meant using the dotted embossing folder around the image, but not ON the image!
I carefully fussy cut a mask from THICK CHIP BOARD to match the mice in a cup. 
Then ran the entire thing through my Grand Calibur.
Guess what? Those embossing folders are STRONG! The EF embossed right through chip board!
Next time I'll try cutting a piece of thick plastic.
Therefore, my mice look like they have some sort of pox. 
What can I say? Here is the close-up!

I am in love with the Crafter's Companion Die'Sires Embossalicious embossing folders! BEAUTIFUL! The FLORAL WONDER was used on the white heart layered, and covered with Lime Pearlescent Brilliance ink. I hated layering on top of the green background. The card base is really too pretty to cover up. The VINTAGE ROSE VINE folder is gorgeous! I used a sanding block on the coordinations paper to bring out the texture:


To provide  shaped visual interest, a thin frame was creating using the Nestabilities Scallop Squares. The actual square was used in another project, leaving this pretty frame. It's a great way of using the negative portion of our "left overs" when die cutting.

Inside:



I recently hit the jackpot! A drawer of forgotten lace holders was rediscovered.
These are laces from the 1940s, 50s and 60s, formerly belonging to my Great Aunt Agnes.
How surprising to discover one of the laces was pale yellow with blue detailing for my second card!


Please notice that these mice have not been afflicted with the pox in this card:
(giggle)
The stamp set includes the sentiment.
The Nesting Hearts contains 11 dies, and the scallop hearts has five dies.

Now it's your turn to share your projects with us!

Scrapy Land Products:

Other Products:
  • Paper: SU designer paper, SU green CS, SU pink CS, Express-it White, DCWV Glittered paper
  • INK: lemonade distress, Brilliance Lime Pearescent
  • Yellow Heart Brad, Lace (on both cards), pink prima flowers, Copic Markers
  • MS lace heart edge punch
  • Images: Stamping Bella "Little Things"
Challenges I'd like to play in please!
  1. 2 Creative Chicks (Jan #6) "Anything Goes" 2/1
  2. Dies R Us #41 "Stitching" (zigzag stitch around frame Blue and Yellow card) 1/28
  3. Crafty Friends Challenge #23 "Anything Goes" 1/29
  4. Let's Color Linky Party #2 "Anything Goes option use pink" 1/29 (see tab top of blog)
  5. Crafting From the Heart #95 "Anything Goes" 1/24
  6. Hiding in my Craft Room #234 "Embossing" (used 3 different embossing folders listed under the SL Products) 1/24
  7. Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #26 "Anything Goes" 2/5
  8. Craft Your Passion #295 "Anything Goes" 1/24
  9. Love to Scrap! #70 "Anything Goes" 2/1
  10. Simon Says Wednesday Challenges (Jan 20) "Create With Critters" Stamping Bella's Mice 1/26 (sep post)

Stamping Hugs,








50 comments:

brenda said...

I've been a bad blogger of late I am afraid Donna, shame on me.

Loving both of today's cards and the super design and layering, if I had to pick a favourite I think I would have to go with the pink and green although I always think blue and yellow work very nicely together.

B x

Shona Erlenborn said...

Super sweet Donna! Pox and all! Love all the layering of these gorgeous dies and embossing folders - along with such a sweet little image - beautifully colored! What a great find on the lace. Just the perfect finishing touch on the second card.

Gertrude said...

Wuuuuunderschön, tolle Farben
glg Gertrude

craftieodmae said...

Beautiful card, love your image and coloring!!!!

KarinsArtScrap said...

super sweet and a beautiful card Donna
Gr Karin

Samra said...

Super adorable!!! Love both color combos and such great choice of dies and embossing folders!
Hugs

Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Anne Temple said...

Both of these are gorgeous! Love your coloring of the image and the non traditional color combo for both of these. Great find on re-discovering the lace too.

Maryvonne Coussé said...

Gorgeous cards Donna !Love this adorable image , and your design is Stunning !
Hugs
MARYVONNE

KT Fit Kitty said...

What an adorable image you've used on these cards, Donna! I know they are mice but they look like bunnies to me - I love bunnies! They are so cute in the teacup! Beautiful dies used!

KraftyKoolKat said...

Two really adorable creations sweetie.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,

deine Karten mit den süßen Mäuschen sind herzallerliebst gestaltet. Sie gefallen mir in beiden Farben sehr gut. Ich kann mich kaum entscheiden so wunderschön sind sie geworden. Ich bin begeistert von beiden Werken. Hugs Silvi

Linda said...

They are absolutely gorgeous! :)

*Vicki* said...

That image is so incredibly adorable!! Fabulous coloring and I love both of these designs with the different colors!! The dies you've used on these are so pretty and add really amazing detail to your finished design!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS

Leslie Miller said...

Well, I love your bumpy mice. They're darling on both cards, pox or not! I spent the longest time studying your first card. Amazing the wealth of design details you incorporated! I'm crazy about embossing folders and these look so lovely. The sanding really brings out the pattern nicely. I know how hard it was to cover up, but I'm still able to enjoy it. Card #2 is just as pretty! Honestly, Donna, those mice are adorable and your coloring brings life. More fabulous details such as the little hearts on the flower petals. What a hidden treasure you unearthed in that lace! I have so much lace, vintage and otherwise, that I hardly use anymore. I must correct that. More ribbon and buttons and lace!

Darlene said...

Adorable images and fabulous card creations! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘STITCHING – Real or Faux’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Lisa said...

Oh wow, Donna, both of your cards are absolutely stunning!! I love your sweet mice, both the ones affected with the pox and the healthy ones ;) (BTW - that made me laugh out loud!!) I just keep going back to look at the details of each card!! They're so gorgeous!! I love the rediscovered lace!! What an awesome find!! The layers and dies you used are fabulous!! Love, love both of these my sweet friend!! You did an amazing job!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Lori Kobular said...

Donna I love that sweet image and all the lovely dies and embossing folders you used on these adorable and beautiful cards! I have those same quickutz heart dies and I always forget about them! Thanks for reminding me to use them! Both of your cards make me smile!

Kathy Krug said...

What a fun post. I loved reading your story. Love ALL the texture and dimension on both cards.

Sue said...

What beautiful cards Donna.

Hope you are having a good week. Sue

Pia S said...

Your first card looks so beautiful with the combo of dies, both positive and negative cuts (I very seldom remember to use the latter one myself) and what a clever idea to dry emboss the image! Must remember this alternative for one if my future projects.
Your second card, although you've used the same image, looks very different from the first. I always love seeing posts where the same materials have been used and how different the designs look. Envy you those vintage lace bits, what a treasure!
Well done!

cotnob said...

These are gorgeous Donna, such an adorable image and two lovely colour combinations. Lots of lovely die cut details and beautifully designed.
Pauline
x

Ellibelle said...

Such darling cards! Love the mice and so beautifully colored. Beautiful card designs on both! Thanks so much for playing along in my let's color linky party! Hope you'll come join in again soon!

pam said...

Two adorable card designs Donna, love all the layering, die cuts, beautiful embellishments, funny I have this yellow lace and in blue, must be from mine and my Mums sewing days.
When you made your mask for embossing, did you cut away the centre shape in your cardboard, leaving the outer edge the same size as your folder? use this on top of your folder in place of a glass plate?..hope I`m not interfering!!! but just wondered why you got dots on your image.
Hugs Pam xxx

crafty-stamper said...

Both beautiful cards love the cute image,beautiful papers,dies and embossing-just slightly prefer the green -only because it's my favourite colour lol
Carol x

McCrafty's Cards said...

These are really gorgeous Donna I like the designs and the gorgeous images that lemon lace is lovely
Kevin xx

Carla's Cards said...

Sweet cards, thanks for sharing with Crafting from the Heart!

Linda Vich said...

Donna, you sure know how to rock the die cuts! Love the green and pink in the first card and thanks for sharing the story about it! The sevond card is also lovely!

Diane said...

Both are beautiful cards, and those little mice are adorable...honestly I probably wouldn't of even noticed the booboo, but I actually think they look sweet all dotted up. You have some really neat supplies to work with..I want to come and play...I can bring my own lace..lol! Thank you for joining us at our Dies R Us 'stitching' challenge ...
Diane DRU DT

coldwaters2 said...

Lol they do look like they have some sort of disease, lol, but they are still cute, Donna these are two wonderful, adorable cards the first one really stands out in that green colour, the designs are each card are excellent I love them both
hugs
lorraine x

Pamellia said...

Oh my gosh Donna, this is just amazing! I love that image, how freaking adorable is that!! Your colours are so wonderful, like a breath of spring air amid the cold dark days! Always a pleasure to visit you! hugs :)

Shirley said...

I do love the colour schemes on both these lovey dovey cards Donna, beats the usual reds and white.

Two unique cards with totally unique layouts on both.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Nancy Hill said...

Another gorgeous card. Love the cute little image and felt very cheerful and springy. Hugs

Karenladd said...

What sweet and happy card designs...and those mice are the cutest! I wondered how you managed to emboss around the mice, but not on them. Then I read your process and saw that the chipboard mask didn't work as well as you had hoped. However, it looks like it softened the embossing somewhat and I don't feel like it's a distraction at all. The image still takes center stage with your beautiful coloring, so all is well. LOVE that pale yellow and blue lace, which give such a dainty touch to your second card.

Karen said...

Oh Donna, my beautiful friend, your cards are filled with endless sweetness and dreamy details... the hearts, lace, precious images... everything makes my heart flutter in the sparkliest way. They are delicate, yet vibrant, just like the most inspiring love. :o) Spectacular as always, dear friend. I am forever thankful for you!

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Diane Louise J said...

Thanks for sharing your cards with the 'Anything Goes' challenge over at CRAFTY FRIENDS... they are adorable and that little mouse is fab.. good luck in the draw and hope to see you again.
Diane Louise (DT) xx

Mandy LaCroix said...

Such a cute image. :) Your cards are exquisite!
Thanks for sharing it over at 2 Creative Chicks! :)

Stampsnob. said...

Who says valentines should be red or pink These are perfect and say I LOVE YOU just fine ........Lis

Monica said...

Both so pretty and inspiring.

Wendy L said...

So gorgeous, fab design, thanks for joining us at Crafty Friends, xxx

Patricia St Martin said...

Donna, Stunning and Love that darling images it is so cute. I know the poor mice have some bumps but I love the texture and so creative using both negative cuts on the first card and all the wonderful layers. Great colors with the green with the pink. Inside turned out so nice and love the sentiment.
Love the blue with the yellow, the extra sewing you did is wonderful. all the hearts are wonderful and the pretty paper.
Hugs Pat

Heather said...

These are both adorable!!! The color combos are fabulous and make me ready for spring! Thanks for sharing the little "oops" with the embossing folder, it's nice to know I'm not the only one that those things happen to. : ) And it doesn't take away from those adorable mice at all! Thanks for playing with LTSCB.

Petra Swart said...

With and without pox your two little mice are just the sweetest little tings, Donna!!!! What a cute image, beautifully framed with lovely die-cuts!!! The colours of both cards are so super and that lace is just stunning - what a lovely discovery!!!! These are both soooooo cute, my friend!!!
Hugz

MaryH said...

What delightful little love cards! I especially am liking the green one, as I'm working a green & yellow right now, feeling a bit odd to have those colors on a V. card. Feel so much better after seeing your beautiful one. Such cute images and I love the blue version too! Somebody is going to feel so loved to receive these. Love that luscious lace....good job! TFS

Sue said...

You are too funny! Love your boo boo, I sometimes emboss over an image on purpose!!! Pretty pink, yellow and green combo is so nice with the sweet little mice. Need to get my hearts out for Valentines, love them on your card. And of course, in true Donna style, a two-fer. Love all the blue, my favorite color! Always beautiful details and the inside of the cards are lovely too.

Hugs
Sue

Jingle said...

These are very cute! Love the little mice! Thank you so much for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

Tracey said...

Beautiful card Donna & I love the colours :o)
Hugs
Tracey
xx

SewPaperPaint said...

These are just the cutest ever! What gorgeous designs!

ChristineCreations said...

Aw those little mice are so sweet! Both cards are adorable!

I'm a Little Teapot said...

Both cards are so cute, Donna! I like how you used the negative cut from the scalloped square to create the frame. So smart and it looks fabulous!

chanya13 said...

Beautiful cards!!! Fabulous coloring, hugs