My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Cracked Glass Pet Puns by MHK Designs for 2 Crafty Critter Crazies!

Hello, Critter Loving Friends!
Hoping you are doing well and enjoying Life.

A new 2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge begins today!

MKH Designs is sponsoring October's challenge, which ends October 31.
A random winner is selected, and a guest designer for the upcoming month is chosen.


My three cards feature this fun "Pet Puns" Digital Set which contains 3 images and 6 sentiments!
All three cards use the fish bowl and fishy sentiments. The prize will be the "Pet Puns" Digital Set.
There are some interesting ideas for using the set on the MHKDesigns blog here.

MHKDesigns "Pet Puns"

ENJOYING MY STASH

My first card utilizes the digital image printed in blue, colored with Copic Markers, and distressed with Tumbled Glass ink. The dry embossed tag also features two washi tape designs, hand-made papers, hand-stamped background, dry embossing, cheesecloth and glittery die cuts. Products listed below.

Years ago, I enjoyed making paper on a small scale, and still have many of my pieces. (HINT: "years ago" means 15 years ago (giggle).
Then I met Lis Robson of Paper Creator. Now here is a real talent! She makes handmade papers IN BULK in all kinds of colors, textures and a variety of "additives" like seeds, confetti, flower petals and more. 
My tag card uses a fibrous white piece from Lis, and a pale tangerine piece from my own stash. Lis had pressed her paper prior to it drying, whereas I used an embossing folder. I should have photographed them prior to adhering, right? Sheesh!


CRACKED GLASS (aka CRACKED ICE) TECHNIQUE

This video shows how to use digital stamps with the cracked glass technique, and reveals how to use it in one specific portion of your digital stamp image, or over the entire digi stamp image, as I have done.
Here is the YouTube link for my email followers:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgJaWn6XaU






For the Cracked Glass (aka Cracked Ice) technique, I printed the sentiment and colored image, die cut them, used distress inks around the stencils, and then smooshed with VersaMark ink and dredged with SNS Clear Detail Embossing Powder, heating repeatedly for a glossy smooth coat. After plunging them in the freezer for 25 minutes, the pieces were "cracked", then smeared with Walnut Distress ink. That did not achieve the vintage flavor I hoped for, so I applied some Tonic Acorn Brown Hybrid ink with a Q-tip and lightly heated the pieces to meld the brown ink into the melted embossing powder.



The stamped panels resemble vintage glass when the light shines on them:



I loved using some of this sequined trim from my Mom's stash. This was purchased back in the early 1970's for some of her Krewe of Venus designs for the Swashbuckling Gasparilla parade and events in the Tampa Bay Area each year. Too bad the black sequins don't show up in the photography.




Lastly, I have a simple and sweet card using the same sketch as the Cracked Glass creation above:



Colored with Copic Markers and Blue Print and Tumbled Glass Distress Inks, the frame has 3/4" Double Stick Tear-ific Tape on the back to adhere the pretty Blue Lightning Ultrafine Glitter.





On A Personal Note:

Just had to share this amazing video of a giant manta asking for help from a diver.
Linda's Peaceful Place always has several uplifting goodies on her blog:



Don't forget! Any project featuring a creature is eligible at the 

2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge!


___________________________________________________________

Products Used:

MHK Designs - "Pet Puns" set colored with Copic Markers.

White-Blue Card: Blue Lightning Ultrafine Glitter (around frame), Spellbinders Decorative Labels 46, Labels 46, Labels 4, Lace, Satin Ribbon, Blueprint and Tumbled Glass Distress Inks.

White-Teal-Aqua Cracked-Glass Card: Spellbinders Labels 4, Vintage Trim from my Mom's stash, Peacock and Walnut Distress Ink, Tonic Acorn Brown Hybrid ink, SNS Clear Detail Embossing Powder, SNS VersaMark.

Tag Card:
___________________________________________________________

Challenges I'd like to play in please:
  1. Crafty Friends Challenge #67 Ribbon and Lace (my last white-blue card has both) 10/8
  2. Love to Craft Challenges #15 Anything Goes 11/1
  3. MHKDesigns by Mynn October 1 Anything Goes with MHK Design 11/1
  4. A Bit More Time to Craft #53 Anything Goes 11/1
  5. Crafts Galore Encore Oct Anything Goes 11/1 (tab)
  6. Crafty Animals (Oct #7) Anything Goes with Animals 10/30 (sep post)
  7. Crafty Girls Creations #40 Anything Goes 11/1 (sep post)
  8. Creatalicious Challenges #124 "Anything Goes with Make your Own Background" (my TAG CARD has my hand made paper, hand stamped and heat embossed paper, dry embossing and punchinella) (sep post) 10/14
  9. Create and Inspire #66 Anything Goes 11/10
  10. Creative Ladybirds Creations #30 Anything Goes 11/1
Stamping Hugs,


48 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Donna, These cards are beautiful.

Loved the video.

Hope you have a nice day. Sue

Chris said...

What can I say...?! Fintastic Donna! These are such beautiful cards, my personal favourite is the middle one with the cracked glass technique...it looks a-mazing and I love the way you've 'vintaged' it. I've used this technique before but not for ages, so thanks for reminding me of it. Your handmade paper is gorgeous too, looks so lovely embossed.
Off now to look at your Manta Ray video.
Chris
xx

Lori Kobular said...

Donna I love that video of the manta ray! I had never seen one of them before ~ just beautiful!! Oh my goodness!! So many gorgeous creations! I love all the details you incorporate onto your cards! I never heard of the freezer technique before either! You are such a talented artist and teacher!! I do hope you are feeling better and that your life is getting back to normal!!

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous cards Donna thats along time ago I did that cracked glass.

Gr Karin

Linda Simpson said...

WOW these are stunning! I love the cracked glass effect!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna your cards are stunning and I am loving the cracked glass technique. That is something else for me to try. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Diane said...

FABULOUS cards Donna, what a wonderful technique and perfect for your fish bowl..wow, these are absolutely gorgeous!!

Linda said...

You have great taste, Donna! These cards are just stunning!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Fin-tastic designs. I love all of them and like that you used the cracked glass technique. It has been ages since I did that.

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

Beautiful cards, Donna. I have to ask though, when you print your digital images, what ink or kind of printer do you use? Mine always smudge when I go to color them in, even if I dry them with a heat gun. It's probably my injet printer, you probably need a laser one, right?

Donna Ellis said...

Thank you, Ann. I have an HP Envy 5660 Series Inkject, which smears when the ink has not been used for a while, but if I use the printer frequently, then the ink will not smear with copics until it is "old ink". I also have an Epson XP-310 Series inkject which has not only allowed me to color with Copics, but Tombow (water-based) markers as well without smearing. This printer is retired now - Leslie Miller told me about it, and I grabbed one off Amazon while they were available - not sure if they still are still accessible. I hope that both of these printers will be usable next year when Microsoft and Apple switch from using 32-bit apps to 64-bit apps. Thanks for asking! hugs, de

Conniecrafter said...

Lovely cards, the first has a great mixed media feel to it, and I totally love the cracked glass, i keep forgetting to do it once again... love the use of your mom's trim with it, lovely! Such pretty coloring and framing of the last card, love the sparkle you added to it with that lovely lace!!

April said...

These are wonderful, Donna! I love the cracked glass technique and the beautiful dies you used.

Abfabdesigns said...

I just love your blog posts , the. Cards are stunning as always and love the cracked glass effect,
Of to watch the video's and play
Thanks Donna xx

Donna Phelan said...

Each of your cards are FIN-tastic....sorry couldn't help myself lol (plus I need more coffee, been awake since 3:30) I do love that cracked glass technique, haven't done it in ages (less than 15 years hahaha). I also love how you added more ink and heated it, to age the glass to show the vintage look, pretty clever missy! Each design is so unique and perfect, somewhat like yourself! Happy crafting my friend....I need more ava! xo~

Becky said...

Oh, my goodness, cuteness overload. Loved the cards. Thanks for sharing.

NanaConnie said...

WOW, Donna, incredible cards and such marvelous productivity! Each one of these is wonderful in its ow3n way and I can't even begin to detail all the things I love. Thanks so much for everything you do for our team, my friend. :-D

Leslie Miller said...

These cards are all amazing, Donna! After I read through I always click for a close up of all the pics and thoroughly enjoy your details. LOVE the cracked glass technique! It's always been a favorite. Interesting about reheating to sink the ink into it. The image is so cool and your coloring makes it more rich and beautiful. Again, all those fabulous details... the paper, dies, sparkle... so much to see! I remember when sequins were for sewing on garments, tee hee. Talk about detail work! I have some of Mom's old sequins, too. The video was sweet and sad and touched my heart. Thanks for sharing that, as well. Hugs!

Janice said...

A great selection of cards Donna, beautifully coloured as always. You show us so many different techniques, I especially love the cracked glass one! Xx

Sue said...

Donna, your cards are all just beautiful. Love how you colored up the fish, colors are so pretty. I remember doing the cracked ice thing years ago, funny how you learn new stuff and leave ideas behind. Nice reminder. And the paper making thing....I also did that years ago. What a mess I made. I have some paper that I wasn't all that proud of in a container unused also. Fun to see your beautiful projects. I love the vintage feel that cracked glass can add to a card/project.

Hugs
sue

aussie aNNie said...

De these are just adorable, your stylish and classy cards are always visible no matter what you do or use...hugs.xx [aNNie]

Shona Erlenborn said...

Just amazing! Loving all three cards and yes, the cracked ice needs to be aired again!! Isn't it funny how we go through all the different techniques in waves? You certainly nailed this one here Donna! Thanks for the video too. Love Mother Nature and her helpers!

DIANA L. said...

WOWSER!!! my friend these cards are just amazing. Love all the detail and your tutorial is great thanks for such wonderful inspiration.

KraftyKoolKat said...

Such wow!!! creations sweetie.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

CdeBaca Crafts Gallery said...

Wow this is amazing! You must have the best patience in the world!

SewPaperPaint said...

These are all just stunning! I love the clear embossing, what a great technique. Hugs, Autumn

MaryH said...

Hello Donna, Just saw your post over at Pia's, and am so sorry to hear you've had a flare up. I hope it's on the mend as I make this comment. I enjoyed seeing all your delightfully detailed work, and the cracked glass look was just the think for the fishbowl. Love the fancy trim too. Isn't it wonderful to find such jewels in your stash? Lucky you to meet Lis. I've gotten some of her cards using the handmade paper...so pretty and delicate. I'm with you,it was one of the dabbles I made some years ago. Didn't do anything spectacular, and still have the supplies around somewhere. Sending prayers that you are feeling much better, or else will be very soon! Big Hugs & TFS

Maria Valente said...

Great cards! Thank you for joining our Create & Inspire challenges.
Hugs, Maria (DT) scrapsdamaryv.blogspot.pt

Crafty Pearly said...

Super cute make. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Animals. Hugs Traci DT xx

crafty-stamper said...

WOW all three are beautiful cards Donna-love the fish bowl image-the middle one is definitely my favourite
Carol x

Diane Louise J said...

Hello Thanks for sharing your card with us at Crafty Friends Challenge Blog… your card is lovely and fits perfectly with our ‘Ribbons and/or Lace’ theme… good luck in the draw and please join us again.
Diane Louise
[Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

crafty-stamper said...

Hi Donna just popping back to say--Thank you for joining us at Create and Inspire
Carol DT x

Mia said...

Beautiful cards, Donna. I love the cracked glass technique. Kisses, my friend.

aussie aNNie said...

Slowly getting back to commenting after the influenza strain [aNNie]

Wendy L said...

Wow, these look amazing, thanks for joining us at Crafty Friends, xxx

cotnob said...

Gorgeous cards Donna, a super image and you have been so creative with your designs - lots of different techniques and materials.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Beebeebabs said...

Wow your cards are absolutely beautiful - love everything about them you did a fabulous job as always. Hope all is well my friend thanks for sharing!!!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Donna, loving your fishy cards. Gorgeous fishy images too. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work Thank you for joining the challenge at A Bit More Time to Craft. Hope to see you again next time.
Thank you also for your comments on my blog. I bought the Bugaboo Christmas cat a long time ago from the old shop, I don't think it has been put into the new shop yet. You need to request at Bugaboo that they put it into the new shop.

R's Rue said...

Great.

Lisa said...

Hello, my dear friend!! I'm so happy to be back and visiting your blog to see the gorgeous projects I've missed while I was away!! And oh my, you have blown me away once again!! These are spectacular!! I love the colorful fishies and the designs!! The texture is amazing!! So gorgeous, Donna!! I love, love them all!! I hope you have a great day, sweet friend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Valérie said...

Wow! This is stunning. Thank you for joining us at Creatalicious Challenge.

Dr Sonia S V said...

Donna stunning cards...love how you mix and match supplies so b
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Jessica K said...

Hi Donna! :) WOW! I LOVE what you created using this stamp! It was one of my faves too! You are always so incredibly detailed with your work - it's truly inspiring!

Thanks for joining us this month at MHKDesigns! :)

Jess - DT
www.freshbyjess.blogspot.ca

DeBe said...

Absolutely fabulous! Such a clever idea to take very modern stamps and use a crackle technique, which works so perfectly with the design and colours that you have used. Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Anything Goes October Challenge. Good luck! Denyse x

Sandy said...

Fabulous creations, thanks for sharing the cracked glass technique. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Girls Creations.
Hugs, Sandy DT

Melanie said...

Wonderful cards!
Thank you soo much for taking part in our "anything goes with optional make your own background” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well…

Hugs,
Melanie
(DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)

(DT Crafty Friends)

(DT The Sketchy Challenges)

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

These are so fantastic. Thanks for joining us at Love To Craft! Challenge Blog! Hope to see you again soon!!
HUGS!
Ann DT
http://anncard.blogspot.tw