My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Moving Along With the Times - Autumn Colors

Hello to all my friends - so grateful you are here. Wishing you all good health and happiness. Even though Florida does not experience Autumn as other areas do, we still enjoy the colors on our cards. We are still unusually humid (even for Florida standards) and have just begun enjoying temperatures in the 80s instead of the 90s!




It's time to share a Project for the new Moving Along With The Times Challenge!

Challenge #109's theme is ANYTHING GOES USING AUTUMN COLORS - for the next 2 weeks! 


For these cards, I raided all my "old stuff" - and was it fun!

For the monochrome card, I heat set gold EP. A few colors of distress inks were applied in a resist technique for shading. To maintain "STRAIGHT" lines with the inks, I used a 1" mask. The decorative frame is gold glossy cardstock:



For some of the angles, a mask was used to keep the distressed coloring in straight lines:



Using multiple masks, I next colored using distress inks and finger daubers achieving a Fall colored, patch-work quilt look with the same stamp:



Coloring with Masks can be fun, creative and most of all, mistake-proof!



The masking was made easy by using 1-inch "post-it note" tape.
If you have never heard of it before - check it out. It's great for using in the frig, too, to date your left over (giggle).

Thanks for stopping by today!

On A Personal Note:

Jack has been building a butler's pantry for us, and this is how far along it is:




Products:
  • Dies: SB Labels One, SB Decorative Labels One, Quickutz Nesting Rounded Squares, SU Leaf Punch 
  • Stamp: Rubber Cottage - Covered Bridge Collage (at least 13 years old), Hero Arts Quill Sentiments set (2006), SU Small Script Sentiments (old set).
  • Colored with Distress Inks and PrismaColor Pencils
Challenges I would like to support please:
  1. Stamping Sensations (Oct 6) Trees and/or Leaves and/or Autumn 11/1
  2. Crafty Calendar (Oct 5) Autumn Colors or Halloween 11/2
  3. Crafter's Castle #22 AG Fall-Autumn 11/2
  4. Pammie's Inky Pinkies #1942 AG 10-28 (sep post)
  5. PaperCraft Challenges #48 Fall (sep post) 10-29
  6. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge (Oct 23) Fall/Autumn Colors 10/30 (sep post)
  7. IncyWincy (Oct21-Nov2) Use Something Metallic (gold metallic cardstock and gold metallic embossing powder, mirror cardstock in gold)

stamping hugs,


37 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna your cards are gorgeous I love them both. I the images are gorgeous. What a great choice of theme. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Jeni Mc said...

What beautiful cards. I like especially the colours that you have masked onto the second card , It really brings it to life and stands out jx

Christine Harrop said...

Gosh, how different these two cards look Donn a, but they are both gorgeous. Hugs Christine x

KarinsArtScrap said...

these are gorgeous cards Donna and I like that colourful one
Gr Karin

Bunny said...

Beautiful cards. With the masking it looks like there are layers going down into the middle. Very pretty. [Bunny]`

Jenny L said...

Hi Donna,
oh my word what excellent creations you have created with just one stamp.
the colours look amazing a very beautiful.
Love both beautiful designs.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Amazing projects with the same stamp! I can imagine you giggling with joy as you played with these two designs. The second one with the fall colors is my favorite. The colors are just stunning! Great work on the pantry too! Jack is so handy - got to love that!

*Vicki* said...

Hello my friend! :) I saw these stnning makes on the challenge blog this morning and was so intrigued that I clicked on the person's name who made it and saw that it was YOU...of course I should've known! I absolutely LOVE the way you've done the masking on both of these....my eyes draw in right to the image which I love so much! The leaves around and the colors look AMAZING! Always a joy to see your gorgeous cards Donna!

P.S. What a handy guy you have especially to make a butler's pantry! I sure could use one too...so maybe he can pop in over my way when he's done there?! LOL!! HUGS

cuilliesocks said...

Wonderful Autumnal cards Donna, the most gorgeous of colours and designs.
Your new pantry is looking good, Kate x

creationsnz said...

Gosh Donna this is fabulous, I like both cards, but hope you will consider entering the gold one in Incy Wincy METALLIC challenge. CarolG

Diane Louise J said...

Hello Donna
Thanks for creating your 2 gorgeous DT cards for your ‘Rich Autumn Colours’ challenge... Have a lovely fortnight until our next Team B challenge.
Crafty Hugs
Diane Louise (Team Leader, MAWTT) xx

crafty-stamper said...

WOW these are absolutely stunning!!!Great embossing,masking and brilliant patchwork design
Carol x

Donna said...

Fantastic cards, off to check out your link. I always learn something on your blog even though I have been stamping a long time, appreciate that.

Donna Ellis said...

Thank you, Donna! I feel the same way when visiting your blog - always something new or something to remind me of a technique I've forgotten about. xx

Leslie Miller said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!! Donna, these cards are just way too amazing!!!!!!!! I've never seen it done with embossing before. LOVE the way you colored the one. I don't even have words. That's how stunned I am. Hey, are you going to have a butler to go with the butler's pantry? Kidding, of course. Jack does such beautiful work and you have a lovely home. Thank goodness for air conditioning. I hope you get some cooler weather for a little break.

cotnob said...

Two beautiful cards Donna, a super stamp and lovely die cut frame - it's nice to see the two design variations.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Wendy L said...

Your cards are gorgeous Donna. New room looks like it will be a good space, xxx

Lori m said...

Gorgeous card, I really need to dig into my stash lol, love the butlers pantry, oh how I'd love that, hugs, Lori m

brenda said...

What an unusual and really effective technique Donna, you have showcased it to perfection. Lovely to see you at Stamping Sensations challenge, thanks so much for joining us. And I'll swap our 8deg for your 80!

Think I spot a bit of Kinkade behind your signature, was lucky to go to an exhibition of his work once, amazing use of light.

B x

KraftyKoolKat said...

Two real beauties from your fair hands sweetie.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Dawn Phillips said...

I can't believe this is the same stamp. They look so different. Love Dawn x

pam said...

Two gorgeous cards Donna, never seen this done before, boy they look wonderful,
Hugs Pam x

Furrbster said...

These are absolutely stunning,

Hugz Tinz

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow, these are both just stunning, I don't think I have ever tried this technique, your colored one is just amazing. Love your framing on the embossed piece, and the pretty leaves with it on the colored one is a great touch!

Lori Kobular said...

Two gorgeous cards! I love that stamp, especially in all the colors! It looks amazing!

Donna Phelan said...

How cool is this? It's such a fabulous technique! I think I call this 'retiform' yes? Gina form STV 'taught' me it lol I haven't done it in ages, but it is just sooooo cool. Love what you have created, Donna!

Karen @ Misplaced Mojo said...

These cards are both stunning!!! I can't say I've seen this technique before, or if I have its been ages. I love the results and will have to give this a go myself when I have time to play! And I'm so jealous of the butler's pantry... Can't wait to see how it turns out! Be sure to keep us posted!

Gale said...

Gorgeous Fall cards Donna! Thank you for sharing with us over here at the Crafty Calendar Challenge and best of luck with your entry. Love to see you join in each month. Thank you.
Gale DT for
http://craftycalendarchallenge.blogspot.com/

Mac Mable said...

Two fabulous cards and so very creative and different. The first card is so elegant and love the limited colours and the bling. Wow to the second and so very striking x. Well done to Jack x

Terri Winske said...

Gorgeous cards, each very different from the other. The technique is fabulous and I enjoyed reading your post. The colors are beautiful in the multi=colored card. We are enjoying fall colors here in Wisconsin and your card reminded me of how much I love fall! Thank you very much for sharing both cards with us at PIP Challenges!

Monica C. said...

What beautiful cards, Donna! I love them both, but that monochrome one is really special.
Glad you are a little cooler. We are still in the 90s down here. Even the nights are still warm!.
Hugs Monica

Karen Dunbrook said...

looks amazing...so unique and lovely
x Karen

KT Fit Kitty said...

Hello, Donna! I have been dusting off some of my older wood-mounted stamps lately too. Great memories of fun stamping in years gone by and they still stamp beautifully! Newer is not necessarily better! Really love your cards! The gold embossed one is so eye-catching! Your butler's pantry will be very nice!

Joan said...

Lovely cards and a very interesting technique

Thanks for joining us at stamping Sensations this month

Joan

Pia S said...

It’s astonishing to see how different this same stamped image looks on your 2 cards. And what a cool effect you’ve achieved with your masking inking technique. Two fabulous cards!

Carole J said...

Two beautiful cards, Donna! It is surprising how different the same stamp looks. I have to say that my favourite is the colourful one. Beautiful masking and inking technique! x

Sue said...

Wow, two completely different looks, love it. The colored one is really unique, and oh so creative of you, Donna. And I love the colors you chose.

Hugs
Sue