My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, January 02, 2020

Lavinia World - Let Your Spirit Take Flight 2020

It's a brand new year, and a brand new decade! I'm looking forward to my new journey in 2020 which involves many changes.
It is my greatest wish that 2020 is promising for you as well,
and that good health and love meet you in your endeavors.


Today's FAIRY STORY:

Appropriate to my New Years Promises,
these scenes reveal the act of letting go of the old ways (of being-ness), and grasping new ways as our spirits take flight!

Wanna come fly with me?


And now you know it is time for a new
Lavinia World Challenge!

Details of our Lavinia World ChallengeWinner receives
a $15 gift certificate to the Lavinia World store. Submissions can be placed either on our Lavinia World Challenge blog which has an ANYTHING GOES theme using ANY brand clear or rubber stamp - no digitals. Or you may play in our friendly Facebook Group called Anything Lavinia if using ANY Lavinia Product in your creationEither way, we enjoy seeing your artwork!

Today's story revolves around Josie Fairy who is setting herself free from old impositions and thoughts.

By The Way - these cards were planned as Clean and Simple - HA! 
Foiled again!

First, we need to create a scene. this involved cutting the sentiment into three pieces. Now it can be used in different ways:


The images were inked up with Medieval Blue VersaFine Clair and heat set with white detail embossing powder. A before and after is shown below where Faded Jeans Oxide was applied to the background stamp using a blending tool to make the edges softer:


Boo-Boo Time!

Not caring for the soft color, I decided to use something darker, and forgot to use with the applicator - so YOU GUESSED IT - it came out with the square edge showing! I learned for the other two cards. Ink the background up, and then use the applicator to soften the edges:


I also wanted the fairies to have more dimension. Using a finger dauber and the same ink colors but with Distress Ink only, the images were highlighted:


It really does make a difference. While it may appear to be too dark, it looks pretty after the backgrounds are stamped:


The sentiment is naturally distressed with "fairy dust" (those are not embossing powder messes - giggle). Because I wanted the details of Josie's wings to show, a Sakura Quickie Glue Pen was used to adhere transparent pink glitter to them. The pen was also used to make dots on the dark leaves of the floral spray with the same pink glitter. The little "spirit" taking flight is also highlighted with pink glitter:

The next card does not have the images highlighted with ink, so there is not the same dimension. This one has a blue frame. My die-cutting errors are covered up with a floral spray - no one can see the mistake:



Her wings were "painted" with glue instead of the glue pen, so the glitter is heavier and masks some of the image detail. Other elements are glittered, too, because who can pass up glitter? More is DEFINITELY more here. While you can see that "rigid" straight line, you likely would not have noticed it had I not mentioned it as a boo-boo in the beginning:


This one is my favorite with those amazing pink leaves and darker halo around the images. The photography is a little funky (dark) but it is a lovely card:



If you are making a card that has a rubber or clear stamp on it, please upload it to the BLOG Challenge site for a great opportunity to win a gift card to the store! The members in our Anything Lavinia Facebook Group are very helpful and supportive, so check it out for more ideas.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products:

Challenges I'd like to support please:

  1. **NEW**Classic DT Open Challenge was hacked so the DT created a new Challenge blog called Classic Design Challenge. With the new blog, the team has decided to make it Open to ALL CRAFTERS, not just design team members (lucky for me since it is one of my favorite challenges, and I am resigning from all but one DT next month). The new Challenge has the same wonderful designers, the same caring recognition of crafters, and same talented inspiration. Please visit them and become their follower so we can return the favor for their hard work.  Challenge #1 Anything Goes 2/1
  2. ScrapyLand #129 AG using SL dies (please see my list of dies above) 1/14
  3. A Bit More Time to Craft #107 Anything Goes 1/15
  4. Dies R Us #136 AG using DRU dies (please see my list of dies above) 1/15
Fairy Hugs,



40 comments:

Beebeebabs said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous - love the stamp and layout of your card. The flowers really make the card pop and a beautiful touch. Thank you for sharing your talent with us. Again Happy New Year to you and your Family.

BTW - the check is in the mail for the kind words lol - thank you for being my friend!!!

Bunny said...

What a lovely card. The colors are beautiful and I love the sentiment. [Bunny]

Linda Simpson said...

Happy New Year Donna! These cards are absolutely gorgeous, I love them.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Nonnie's Cards and Gifts said...

These are amazing- you make the sweetest cards and the addition of colored die cuts is wonderful. Definitely going to try embossing some of mine. Fabulous work.

Margarets designer cards said...

Happy new year

Gorgeous set of cards, love the fairy stamp

Anne Temple said...

These are amazing looking. I really like how you highlighted the fairies with the darker ink! It makes everything pop. Not CAS, but GORGEOUS!!

Chris said...

These are beautiful Donna, I never think to stamp and emboss the fairies with white but it looks gorgeous on the darker background, especially when the image is 'highlighted' with the darker colour ink!
Wishing you a happy, healthy 2020, and every success with your new endeavours.
xxx

KarinsArtScrap said...

these are gorgeous cards and fab stamp Donna
Gr Karin

Shona Erlenborn said...

I love how you used the darker ink around the fairy in the third card. It really does add such depth. They are all spectacular in their own way! the corner bouquets are so pretty. Beautiful work as always. Wishing you a very happy and healthy New Year!

Lena said...

Gorgeous set of cards Donna. Love the beautiful dies you used to complement your fairy scenes. The added sparkle on your frames and flowers, is the perfect finishing touch!
Happy New Year.
Hugs,
♥ Lena
Lena’s Creations

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful cards!

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna your cards are gorgeous. I love them all. The way you have used the stamp is amazing. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KT Fit Kitty said...

A beautiful set of cards, Donna, and I like the meaning behind the sentiment! Sounds like a great idea to me! All of your cards are gorgeous! Love the sparkle and the beautiful die-cuts! Gorgeous work! Wishing you a joyful, healthy, and crafty 2020!

Sue said...

Hi donna, Such pretty cards.

Hope you are having a nice week. Sue

Wendy L said...

What wonderful cards Donna, they are stunning, I really will have to invest in some Lavinia stamps, thefaries are Gorgeous, xxx

pam said...

Happy New Year Donna..
Gorgeous cards, beautiful stamping and colours, with fabulous designs.
Hugs Pam x

Verna Angerhofer said...

All are so beautiful and in such gorgeous colors and style.

*Vicki* said...

I think I'd like to hop on that "fairy spirit flight" and see where the wind takes me!! LOL! CAS doesn't mean that your card is not outstanding because it IS!! I just love how the embossd image pops over the colored cardstock with the bit of ink to shadow them as it is stunning! Your frame and touches of glitter everywhere really takes this to a special level my dear! :) Wishing the most happy and rewarding journey with all of your change-making this year!! BIGGEST HUGS

Mia said...

Your cards are gorgeous, Donna. Love the scenes and the frames. HAPPY NEW YEAR, my dear friend.

Lori Kobular said...

Donna each one of your cards are precious! I love the pink wings and the shadowing of the fairy is such a great idea! I would never have thought to do that! I love each one of your cards and I am happy to see that you are taking flight in a different direction!!

Donna said...

These are stunning, I like the dark highlights around the images and the sentiment is perfect for starting the new year. Really like your corner leaves and flowers too. Hugs, Donna

Steph Ackerman said...

These are amazing. Love the highlights and the colors.

Patti J said...

Donna, these are incredible! I'm so smitten with the ones that include the pink! Whoever receives these will find a place to put them on display! Beautifully done, my friend! Thanks for the inspiration!

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful work on these, I do really love the first with the shading around the images and the delicate pink in her wings! Pretty glitter framing and pretty arrangement in the corner.
Happy New Year

aussie aNNie said...

Happy New Year De and a beautiful card this is..xx

cotnob said...

Beautiful cards Donna, Josie Fairy is so pretty and I love your colour choices.
Wishing you a happy, healthy and crafty New Year.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Anne Buckingham said...

I am glad they are not simple cards, the fairy deserves your beautiful and special touch. The images and shadows/highlights you create are wonderful. Appreciate that you told how to do this, maybe I can try it. The flowers along the edge enhance the card. They are all stunning. Thank you for sharing your talent and love with the world.

crafty-stamper said...

Gorgeous cards Donne love the beautiful stamps and sentiment-the darker edges really make the images stand out-best wishes for the New Year
Carol x

KraftyKoolKat said...

More gorgeous work sweetie to take us into 2020. Your work is always amazing.
Happy New Year Sweetie.
Hugs
Cathy
xxx

Leslie Miller said...

Gosh, there's something to love about each of these cards, Donna! I don't know how many times I've scrolled back and forth trying to decide which is a favorite. I give up! I love them all! I like the way you sponged the shading around the fairies. Neat idea and something I hope to remember. You always do such pretty arrangements with your leaf and flower dies, too. I've stepped down from everything but Power Poppy. Less to think about and coordinate. Enjoy your free time and have a happy new year!

Grandma Bonnie said...

Donna, you are so fun. I love how you create..i learn something each time. Such a beautiful card!

Donna Phelan said...

YES! Take Flight! Love your embossing and the fairy images and your great designs! I also love how each card has the different corner accents, this makes for such a beautiful collection--one might say magical! Glad the magic continues into 2020! Happy New Year! xo~

Karen Dunbrook said...

Happy New Year blessings mf.
Gorgeous cards mf....all wonderfully done.
x Karen

Jackie C said...

Donna! This is amazing work! Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Mac Mable said...

I so enjoyed reading your post...boo boo's and all x. The backgrounds look fabulous and the framing really draws your eyes into those beautiful fairies. The pink sure is pretty and of course no favourites but extra loving the first card with the delicacy of Josie's wings x.

Inkyfingers said...

What beautiful creations Donna and I really appreciate your step by step thinking on how they evolved.
I hope you had a lovely Christmas and that 2020 brings you all that you wish for.
Hugs
Carol xxx

Monica C. said...

Oh these cards are lovely! I love the thought of leaving the old behind. Wishing you all the very best for 2020.
Hugs Monica

sarascloset said...

It's always a joy to visit your blog, Donna, and this post is especially enjoyable! I loved seeing how you used these stamps in different ways, and my favorite is the one with the dark shadowing. Very cool cards and the glitter is the perfect detail! You did a great job of making your 'mistakes' look like they were planned elements! Happy 2020! I hope it is kind to you! Hugs!

Aimeslee Winans said...

So sorry I'm behind in commenting, Donna. Happy 2020 and hope you had a good Christmas. These blue cards remind me of the Wedgewood Blue Jasperware tea set my parents got as a wedding present and now our daughter has. LOVE! xoxo

Alina Florea said...

Fantastic card. Love how the white embossed fairy just pops up!