My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Encouraging Words to a Would-be Butterfly - Lavinia World

How crazy the weather is this Christmas Season! We yo-yo between being above average, to below average! This morning we awakened to the 30s, something that usually happens in January and February. Those of you in the northern hemisphere seem to be having a lot of unusually severe weather for December as well!

I wish you the very best this Holiday Season.


Today, my Fairy is having a heart-to-heart discussion with Christopher Caterpillar on the importance of letting go to become a butterfly.

Did you know Letting Go is Magic at work?

Thanks to Vicki who has inspired me to do the same!


And now you know it is time for a new Lavinia World Challenge!

Details of our Lavinia World ChallengeWinner receives
a $15 gift certificate to the Lavinia World store. Submissions can be placed either on our Lavinia World Challenge blog which has an ANYTHING GOES theme using ANY brand clear or rubber stamp - no digitals. Or you may play in our friendly Facebook Group called Anything Lavinia if using ANY Lavinia Product in your creationEither way, we enjoy seeing your artwork!


Today's project features Twilight Fairy and Christopher Caterpillar:

I've received a few questions about how I put my fairy scenes together, so here is a mini tutorial for how my colors are chosen, and how to add the "layers" of inked images for dimension.
Please click on the photos to enlarge them:


The fun sentiment comes in a straight line, but I cut my stamp into three pieces and used it that way:


Above: notice the before and after with the words and the highlighting using the Uni-Ball Pen Signo Gel in White. The Gel pen really makes things come alive! (around fairy, leaves, caterpillar, fern heads, butterfly wings)


The border was distress with Nocturne Versafine Clair ink, and heat set with black EP that contains glitter. Making a frame around the edge of the scene gives a finished look. I also used an old Martha Stewart border punch for the edges - one white and the other black, for visual interest:


Thanks for popping by - looking forward to seeing your pretties in the challenge!



Products Used:



Playing in the following fine challenges:

  1. Classic DT Open Challenge #12 AG DT 1/1 sep post
  2. Pammie's Inky Pinkies #1950 AG 12/22 sep post

Stamping Hugs,









35 comments:

Chris said...

Stunning card as always Donna, you tell such lovely stories using these gorgeous stamps...everyone needs a little magic in their life! Hope that caterpillar is listening to the good advice.
hugs xxx

Shona Erlenborn said...

Gorgeous creation, Donna. Love your step by step tutorial, showing how you get the depth into the scenes of your beautiful cards. Loving the dreamy purple hues and of course that saying is perfect with the caterpillar!

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is a stunning card. It is simply gorgeous. I love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Lori m said...

Fabulous,you just know how to make your stamps come to life, so pretty and mystical, beautiful card, hugs, Lori m

Anne Temple said...

Fabulous card and design Donna! I love the scene you've created. These two look like they are in deep conversation (wonder if they talk as long as we do LOL). The white highlights really do make everything pop. (Great before and after photos to prove it too.)

Linda Simpson said...

Absolutely stunning Donna, I love the fabulous scene you created.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Sue said...

Hi Donna, A lovely card.

Hope you are having a nice day. Sue

*Vicki* said...

Well you know what's funny about caterpillars and fairies? They both learn from each other and encourage one another in different ways! :) I'm so touched by your lovely thought here in your magical scene my friend! It has the perfect color tones and it has a beautiful sparkle to it as well! I saw this great quote recently: "When you let go, something magical happens, you give yourself room for something better to come along." Thank you for your inspirational post! HUGS

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous Donna
Gr Karin

Grandma Bonnie said...

Donna, what a joy to see your creations. I love all of the details. Each time, i just sit back and enjoy! Love this so much!

Donna said...

Such a beautiful scene Donna. Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas my friend!

Julie Odil said...

Such a glorious card, Donna. Most days I feel like that caterpillar. It's really rather hard to let go and dream, even if the results might be magical! Thanks for the inspiration!

Verna Angerhofer said...

You’ve made a wonderful fantasy scene with the fairies. Wonderful colors.

Mrs A. said...

Thankyou so much for showing step by step how you have created this lovely scene. Hugs Mrs A.

Conniecrafter said...

so sweet, I just love the highlighting you did on them, really gives it that extra something. Great way to put the two stamps together, pretty sparkle border and like how you did opposite colors on the punched border!

ike said...

Such a gorgeous creation and beautiful images. I love your highlighting. I can't seem to find a white pen that works really well here in Greece so I might go look for those pens you used xxxxx

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Donna, a lovely silhouette fairy and I love how you have built up your super scene.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Sarah said...

Such a magical card Donna. those Lavinia stamps really take imagination to a different level xx

Anne Buckingham said...

Love the story behind the card, fairy encouraging the caterpillar. Enjoy and learn much from you by reading the instructions and step by step. thank you for being you.

KraftyKoolKat said...

This creation is a real stunner sweetie. Thank you for the little tale, it has brought the image even more alive for me.
Hugs
Cathy
xxx🤩🤩

crafty-stamper said...

Gorgeous card Donna love the beautiful stamps and step by step too
Carol x

Donna Phelan said...

Another tantalizing creation! These stamps always look magical--I know I use that word a lot around here, but it is so true!!! I love the tutorial on how you create the depth and dimension, very creative and very helpful! Merry Merry, Donna xo~

Dawn Phillips said...

It's beautiful. It's nice to see the creative process too. Love Dawn x

Leslie Miller said...

When it comes to magical fairy scenes, you're the BEST, Donna! These are such beautiful stamps. I was going to say I love the fiddle heads and the caterpillar, but then I'm looking at the leaves and winged things and the sparkle sprinkles... and I have to say I love it all! You've put together a beautiful scene. Your white gel highlighting makes a world of difference. I want to wish you a merry Christmas and say thank you for the stunningly beautiful poinsettia card you sent. You're in my heart this holiday and always!

brenda said...

I though I should have a quick catch up with everyone after my enforced screen break and as always a delightful creation awaits.

Wishing you and yours Peaceful Christmas Season.

B x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Such a beautiful card, Donna! I love the background paper you started with, so awesome for creating your fairy scene! Thanks for sharing how you made the card, so gorgeous! Merry Christmas!

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful card as always - Merry Christmas to you and your Family!

Monica C. said...

Donna, this is amazing as always! I love your fairy cards. The depth of perception that you create never fails to amaze me. Thank you for so much inspiration in 2019 and I look forward to seeing what you do in 2020.
The thought of the caterpillar needing to let go to become a butterfly is amazing.
Hugs Monica

Beebeebabs said...

Happy New Year!!!

Mac Mable said...

Such a beautiful little scene and so very pretty. The heat embossing of the black with the glitter is beautiful. The white highlighting makes all the difference.....Thank You for the inspiration. I am playing catch up after being away and thank you for all your amazing inspiration this year x . Hope The festive period was wonderful for you ? x.

creationsnz said...

Yes Donna, we all need to spot the magic around us. Hope your Christmas was magic and 2020 too! Lovely card and I always enjoy your little chats. CarolG

Keen Crafter's Hand Made Goodies said...

Hi Donna
You always enter our challenge over at Classic DT open challenge so just letting you know I have had to a new challenge blog as our old one was Hacked and dissapear so here is the new challenge blog called Classic Design challenge Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Michelle DT Owner/Admin for https://classicdesignchallenge.blogspot.com/

Sue said...

Donna, your card is stunning. Love all the steps to create it and you have explained them so clearly too. Awesome colors and love the misty look to the night. I love how you used your little fuzzy friend in the tree too. The glitter around the edges is the icing on the cake, err card!!! Just beautiful. Happy New Year dear friend.

Hugs
Sue

Inkyfingers said...

What an awesome card, Donna and your fabulous tutorial really makes me want to have a try with these techniques.
I hope you had a lovely Christmas and that 2020 brings all that you hope for.
Hugs
Carol x

Lori m said...

Donna your cards are just beautiful, love the colors, the details and all the love you put into designing shines through. Happy New Year, hugs, Lori m