My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Monday, May 01, 2023

Patriotic Poppies {Jan's Digi Stamps}

Happy May, dear blogging friends! 

Today is the kickoff for May's Anything Goes Challenge at Jan's Digi Stamps!  If you use a JDS image in your card, please mention it. There is a 2nd draw specifically for those who use one of Jan's fun images. Jan's newest sets are 25% off and this month's Father's Day sale, includes 10 sets, also on sale 25% off.

I've blended some other papers with Jan's pretty, Patriotic Poppies set, in honor of those who have fought for our freedom, and the freedom of others. The poppy was established as a symbol for that reason globally after World War 1. 

Patriotic Poppies on sale 33% off for $2.00

Sentiment is from:

Botanical Orchids 874


I digitally created a red 4.5 x 4.5 inch background, placing 4 small rectangles and cropped poppies in each. Then a larger rectangle accommodates the sentiment. Each rectangle is framed digitally in black, with a shadow effect for the sentiment, all in my free, trusty Pages word processor. I copy-and-pasted the flowers in each rectangle to be colored and layered. The images are colored with Copic markers. Even the lace is a digital addition.

Instead of "popping up" the whole flower, the bases of each flower (near the stem) have been glued flat atop the flower underneath, with black dimensional tape under portions of the flower petals on the upper layer:


A shadow affect was used on the sentiment digitally:


The card interior uses my handmade sentiment with one of Jan's pre-colored images:




We love seeing your projects at Challenge at Jan's Digi Stamps!

Products: Jan's Digi ImagesPatriotic Poppies 4095,  Botanical Orchids 874, also digital: Digital Lace Borders by Angie Makes at Creative Market, Lozzy T's Papers "Checkout #30", regular papers, Coral Mulberry Paper, Copic Markers

I'd like to play in the following fine challenges please:

  1. Outlawz Twisted Thursday AG with theme COLOR IT (colored with Copic Markers 5/4 (4 of 5 allowed entries) 5/4
  2. Crafting Happiness Challenges # 142 Flowers 6/1
  3. Creative Knockouts #493 Flower Power (1st of 3 allowable entries) 5/13 OE10
  4. A Perfect Time to Craft #5 AG (check 7/1)

  5. Make My Monday Challenge #199 Flowers 5/6

  6. Classic Design Challenge #5 AG 6/1

  7. Pammie's Inky Pinkies #2317 AG 5/8

  8. CD Sunday Plus #109  5/1 ( I used digital items: Lozzy T's Papers "Checkout #30" and layered Creative Market's Lace border onto it and printed. On my word processor, I then digitally applied red square layer framed in white with 4 white "windows" framed in black. The digital image was also placed in the "windows". A window was created for the sentiment, also a digital image from JDS and highlighted with red on the computer. This was printed out. I also printed more of the poppies separately. These were all colored with Copics and layered atop. Several digital layers, and several "paper" layers. 5/15


Stamping Hugs,


30 comments:

Donna Walls said...

Beautiful card design and coloring Donna! Thanks for another beautiful team project for the Jan's Digi Stamps Challenge.
Donna xx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Fabulous design and poppies, love so much their dimension!! Thanks for explaining how you realized it!
Hugs!

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous coloring and card Donna

gr karin

Donna Phelan said...

WOW! This looks amazing! The poppies are beautiful and they have so much dimension--well done--I love this effect! So pretty!

Chrissy said...

So beautiful Donna.I love the poppies and your gorgeous bold red and fabulous dimension and beautiful inside too..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your poppy card is so gorgeous!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my that is absolutely gorgeous, love the deep reds, the dimension you gave to them, and all that digital work you put into it, you are a whiz at that! Love the beautiful inside too!

Pamela said...

A stunning card - I love what you've done with the images.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Pamela said...

I love what you've done with the images. The card is great!
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Leslie Miller said...

Wow, Donna, you made those poppies so 3D it's incredible! Beautiful sentiment inside, too. A lovely card in every detail!

Lori m said...

Donna, there are no words, this is beyond beautiful. Those poppies, pop right off your card as if, you just picked them. Gorgeous, hugs, Lori m

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I think that people, generally, don't appreciate the work, artistry, and hours that go into digitally producing something as gorgeous as this Donna. Superb work and design. I love everything about it.
Faith x

Jan Mahew said...

You always exhibit a beautiful artistic composition that astounds, your work is amazing and this card is no exception. The poppies are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing and showcasing the Poppies with others.
Hugs,
Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hello Lovely! I finally got a chance to make my rounds. That red is just beyond gorgeous, coloring is fab as usual and I see you got on the mulberry train too! It must be a trend. Guess I'll pull my file and join up, lol. It is a thin layer that packs a big interest punch. You tears look cool and dramatic, do you use the wet paintbrush on it? That never helped me that well if there were thick fibers in it. Anyway, a very beautiful card and I hope you are feeling good these days. xoxo

Donna Ellis said...

Thanks so much, Aimes! I've never colored anything this brilliant red color before. It was fun! Actually, my mulberry paper is a good 25 years old LOL - I noticed someone else using it recently and thought, "Hey! I have bunches of this!" DUHHHHHHH
hugs,
de

nwilliams6 said...

Donna, this is beautiful! Wow. I totally love the color and design. Hugz

Jocelyn said...

This is beautiful and I like the use of mulberry paper under the image. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Sue said...

Stunning card my friend. I love the red poppies and what they stand for. I wish I had your digital talents, awesome beautiful works of art.

Hugs
Sue

Donna said...

This is gorgeous, your deep red coloring is amazing! And the layer of Mulberry Paper adds a lot! Time to find mine.

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Wow Donna, loving these Poppy flowers. Awesome design. The coloring is specular. Also, the Poppy is our State Flower, California. Thanks for joining us at Outlawz Twisted Thursday. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hugs, Berni DT

Monica C. said...

Donna, this card to just gorgeous! The partial popping up of the petals is such a great idea, giving the flower dimension without adding too much bulk to the card.
Hugs
Monica

Bonnie Lynn said...

Gorgeous!! Wow!! I'm loving your rich poppy card. Thanks for joining us this week at Pammie's Inky Pinkies. Hope to see you again. Bonnie DT

Lena said...

Love, love your card. It brought back such wonderful childhood memories. Poppies are such happy flowers, aren't they? I remember as a child playing in fields of poppies and picking them by the armful to take home to my mom. There were a bunch of us kids that used to play together ... It was a big thing trying to see who would pick the biggest bunch to take home to their moms ... Times were so simple and fun back then!
Hugs,
Lena

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful card, I love your poppies they really stand out against the background
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday plus DT

Billie A said...

Beautiful card. Your poppies are stunning. Love the rich color and layout. Thanks for sharing over at Make My Monday

Seafield Jo said...

This is so beautiful, and such a lovely sentiment.
Jo
CD Sunday Plus DT

Carol said...

A truly wonderful card. I love 3D Decoupage and this is awesome.
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

Kristin Sluhan said...

This is beautiful! I love how the poppies look like they are 3D and popping off the card! Just beautiful, you have major coloring skill! THanks for visiting my blog and commenting...have a colorful day!

Angela B. said...

Thank you so much for entering the Twisted Thursdays challenge at https://theoutlawzchallenges-thursday.blogspot.com/ this month. Looking forward to seeing you again in our next twisted Challenge.

Happy crafting,

Angela

The Outlawz Challenges

Twisted Thursdays DT



https://outlawzchallenges.blogspot.com/



Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Gorgeous! You've created such depth to the poppies! Thank you for sharing your talent with us at Crafting Happiness Challenges!