My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Lavinia World #21 - It's a Beautiful Day!

Greetings, blogging friends!
As soon as I saw blogging friend Donna Thielker's THTSB creation, I knew I wanted to get my Oxides out and finally experiment. There is a bit of a learning curve with them (in my opinion), but here is my first attempt. Donna, thank you for inspiring me!


It is time for a new
Lavinia World Challenge!

Details of our Lavinia World ChallengeWinner receives
a $15 gift certificate to the Lavinia World store. Submissions can be placed either on our Lavinia World Challenge blog which has an ANYTHING GOES theme using ANY brand clear or rubber stamp - no digitals. Or you may play in our friendly Facebook Group called Anything Lavinia if using ANY Lavinia Product in your creationEither way, we enjoy seeing your artwork!

Today's fairy story 


Today's Make-A-Wish Fairy reminds us that we need to occasionally take ourselves "away", allowing our dreams to bloom from deep in our hearts, and shed seeds along our Life's journey, to come to life in their own way. But first, we have to begin a quiet odyssey allowing those beginnings to come to Light.

Have you ever noticed how many of our dreams have "come true" but not in the ways we had originally anticipated?

Onward... to my little card...
I used Distress Ink foam applicators to apply my inks, which was part of my "learning curve". Next time, I'll use my brushes (which I had forgotten about LOL). After inking my 5x7 panel, I spritzed with water and added kosher salt crystals to make a little texture:



After this dried, the salt was brushed off, and a Heidi Swap stencil was lightly inked with Distress Ink in Pumice Stone. The Sparkle sentiment was also inked with Pumice Stone and added to the background. All the images were inked with VersaFine Clair Rain Forest Green and heat set with clear embossing powder.



Wink of Stella Clear and Uni-Ball Pen Signo Gel White were both used, first on the fairy's wings and then on the other stamped elements. Diamond Dust (textured glitter) was also added:



Here's a final look at the card on an angle to capture it without the glitter and shine. After trimming the original white panel, the card size is 4.25" x 6.5":



Thanks for visiting today!
My Lavinia World Products:


Products Used:

Challenges I'd like to play in please:
  1. My Time to Craft #426 No Digi's Allowed this week 3/7
  2. Creative Moments #185 AG + "for the girls" 3/5
  3. World Wide Open DT Challenge #2 AG DT 3/15
  4. *New* Classic Crafty FB Challenge (Feb)  AG 3/1
  5. Creative Knockouts Challenge #339 Die Cuts and Punches (IO Small Grass 178C, MS Geometric Frames Punch) 3/5
Stamping Hugs to you, my dear blogging friends...


47 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is a stunning card. I love the stamps and the background you have created. I do like using Oxides. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Crafting Queen said...

Love your card, super background.

Bunny said...

The background alone was so pretty but you turned it into beautiful by adding the fairy.
[Bunny]

Hazel (Didos) said...

Your card is super, I love the back ground you have made, Hazelxx

Lori m said...

Gorgeous card, I like the idea of adding kosher salt crystals, I will have to give that a try, thank you for the idea and inspiration, hugs, Lori m

jimlynn said...

The Oxides look great in the background. Magical and beautiful card Donna!
Lynn

Anne Temple said...

This looks amazing. Love the background you created. Now I have to get out my salt too! Love the hint of the stencil in the background too.

Julie Odil said...

This is beautiful, Donna! I find brushes make blending backgrounds much easier than sponges, but the colors aren't quite as vibrant. That stencil was a great idea on here. I always forget to use stencils! I've never tried salt. Hmmmm. You have me thinking....

Linda Simpson said...

Beautiful background on this magical fairy card.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Chris said...

Beautiful focal stamp and your inky background is gorgeous Donna, such lovely colours.
xx

Donna said...

Such a stunning card and enjoyed your narrative. So excited I inspired you to play with your oxides on your fabulous background!

SD pooja said...

I loved that background ! Donna inspired you and you are inspiring me to take those ink pads out and use them.

KraftyKoolKat said...

Another gorgeous design from the house of Creative Smiles by Donna.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous background and beautiful silhouette stamps
Carol x

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's so very beautiful Donna

gr karin

Sue said...

Donna, Loving this one. The colours for the background are so pretty. Sue

Sue said...

Donna this is beautiful! I love the colours and layers, and the fairy is gorgeous. Take care, Sue xx

NanaConnie said...

Oh, Donna, such a lovely background. I love using kosher salt and have forgotten about that option lately. Lovely embossing.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your card is so beautiful and your colors are so gorgeous too.

Leslie Miller said...

Your background is beautiful, Donna! Looks like you're sliding along that curve with grace. My friend was doing backgrounds with these salts. I'd forgotten about them. New techniques are coming along all the time. Or old techniques are coming back as though they were new. You know how it is. Really a gorgeous card all over!

Grandma Bonnie said...

I love, love, love coming to your blog. You are so fun. Such a beautiful card, Donna!

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

Absolutely gorgeous work here. Love it.
Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT / Admin / Registered Owner for https://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com/

cotnob said...

A super card Donna, such a fabulous background - I certainly agree with you about the learning curve, I have had a little play with my Oxides and have never been happy with the results - definitely more practice needed!
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Shona Erlenborn said...

Stunning background, Donna!You've inspired me to get mine out and play - along with the salt! I really like the hint of the stenciling too - very nice touch. You really do magic with these Lavinia stamps! Beautiful creation.

Mac Mable said...

The background is wonderful and I think the initial vibrancy of the colours with the oxides and foam applicators really works, as you knocked it back with the stencilling etc. I love the effect Donna x.
A magical card with a a striking composition and the subtle bling looks so pretty x.

Nonnie's Cards and Gifts said...

Just wow!! Her wings are popping off the page. Gorgeous work!

*Vicki* said...

Always love to see your LW posts with your wonderful thought provoking sentiments towards them! :) Your background turned out gorgeous and I love the bit of stenciling invloved with it as well! The embossing along with the decorative edge really sets everything off beautifully my friend! Wishing you a lovely weekend! HUGS

cuilliesocks said...

What a gorgeous card and your oxide background is fabulous, such a beautiful fairy and the border die is so very pretty, Kate x

Dawn Phillips said...

That background is so pretty. I love it. Love Dawn x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, Donna, this is gorgeous! I am one who loves to make inky backgrounds too! Love your colour choices and beautiful stencilling! The salt crystals have a cool effect, must remember to try that!

Conniecrafter said...

If this is your first time you have done a wonderful job, I love how you used the stencil in the background too! Pretty shimmer on it, and like your border too! So sweet!

OlgaB said...

Lovely creation!
Thank you for joining Creative Moments!
Hugs from Africa!
OlgaB

Donna Phelan said...

Beautiful background! What an awesome technique with the salt and the stencil...dare I say magical? I must get a thesaurus lol This is fabulous!

creationsnz said...

A successful first try Donna, it looks fabulous! CarolG

Anne Buckingham said...

Love the technique you used for the background. I want to try it. As always your card is beautiful.

Deezy's Handmade Cards said...

What a pretty! Loved how you described the whole process! Thank you for playing along at the Creative Knockouts! Hope to see you againg, Bye
Deezy (DT)

Beebeebabs said...

Wow you did a wonderful job - love the stamp and beautiful background - another great creation thanks for sharing!

Inkyfingers said...

What a beautiful and mystical card! I love all the inking and how you use your white pen to highlight. The border die is a perfect finishing touch.
Hope you are having a good weekend!
Hugs
Carol x

Lori Kobular said...

Donna this is so lovely and your background turned out amazing for your very first try with oxides! I love your little stories that go along with your fairy cards! So much fun to read! Don't you love what the salt does to the inks!

Barbara Bruder said...

Donna, what a beautiful background. Lovely color combo. Looks great with your image!! Thanks for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry. Barbara DT member for { World Wide Open Design Team Challenge}

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well, thank goodness someone besides me keeps reaching for the sponge daubers instead of the blending brushes! It doth make one feel stupid! But then, I would do well to remember that we used those sponges on many a nice piece of artwork before the brushes became a thing. I don't even own any DOX inks yet, so it's just DI for me. Your card's background is gorgeous and complements the stamping perfectly. Hmmm, that card size fits in an A7 envie, right? Very nice! xoxo

Karen Dunbrook said...

looks so beautiful mf....love the result of adding the salt to the bkg.
xx Karen

Lena said...

What a beautiful background to showcase your beautiful fairy. I didn't know to add salt crystals. What a very creative idea. Thanks for sharing this tidbit. I'll have to give it a try the next time I play with oxides and water :-)
Hugs,
♥ Lena

Sue said...

Super colors! She is lovely and the scene is magical. I love how you blended the inks for the background. Another lovely Fairy card, Donna.

Hugs
Sue

Deanne Saunders said...

Beautiful!! Thank-you so much for participating in our MY TIME TO CRAFT challenge. Hope to see your beautiful creations in our next challenge!! Have a happy crafty day!!! Sorry so late for commenting, but life has been a bit tough lately. I want to take a moment today to tell you that you are an awesome artist! Happy International Women’s Day!.
Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Pia S said...

This inked background looks magical and makes a really beautiful scene for your fairy. Love the colors!

Monica C. said...

Donna, this is beautiful. I love the background that you have created here. I have a few Distress Oxide inks and I love to use them, but I have not been as adventurous with them yet as you have here. I will have to try.
Hugs Monica