My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Saturday, November 26, 2016

RECENT BLOGGER CHANGE

Greetings, Blogger Friends! Now that I have played a few days with the new Google Blogger format... I'd like to enlist your assistance. (It's an easy read LOL)

If you regularly comment on blogs that have COMMENT MODERATION ENABLED, or if you administrate more than one Google (Blogger) Blog, you might be interested in the following.

Recently Google made changes to their Blogger offering. While commendable that only a brief interruption of service was felt throughout the world, and only some modifications are left to be corrected in the Template Section, some of their changes left blog administrators a bit perplexed and disappointed.

If administrating only one blog - there is no real problem, other than becoming accustomed to the new look. However, things become convoluted and time-consuming if you administrate more than one blog.

The changes to the entire dashboard prompted Brenda (nickname B x) to write an excellent request on the Blogger Forum. If you are disagreeable about all the changes, please let your voice be heard. Her blog post is here. Her Blogger Forum request is here.

The new format doesn't really bother me - other than it is something new to get used to LOL

However, I do NOT care for the new format regarding MODERATING COMMENTS. 



THEREFORE I began a second thread at the Blogger Forum which can be read here. It offers a suggestion to make moderating comments less time-consuming. 

Why does this affect you if you're only leaving comments, and NOT moderating the comments? 
Your comments may not be approved and/or responded to in a timely manner.

Google actually gives ear to its users as long as the suggestions are concisely worded, 
so your voice DOES make a difference.

Please visit the Blogger Forum at one or both locations to make your voice heard if you so desire. (links listed both above in the paragraphs, and grocery listed at the bottom of this post)




This is what I have written as a Suggestion to Blogger:

Hi, unfortunately, when creating the new Blogger "dashboard" format, someone at Google neglected to consider administrators who moderate several blogs.

SUGGESTION:

The old blogger dashboard allowed Google's users to see (in a single glance) all the blogs which a user administrated or contributed to. Previously, a red clickable link indicated how many unmoderated comments were on each blog, making it effortless to address each comment in a timely manner and respond appropriately. 

Under the new format, each blog must be selected, then "comments" must be selected, and finally, we must click on "awaiting moderation" JUST TO SEE IF there ARE comments requiring our attention. It's cumbersome and time consuming, especially for those who administrate several blogs. 

I miss being able to see this feature at a glance (ie: blogs having a waiting comment to be moderated).

Will you please consider creating some sort of dashboard that contains this information? Perhaps next to the name of each blog in the new pulldown menu? My suggestion would be a simple number in parenthesis would work. For example:

NAME OF BLOG (3) 

It would at least flag that there ARE comments requiring our attention. We could click on the (3) and address the 3 comments. That way, Google's users are not having to needlessly spend time searching for the possible comments needing to be moderated. The current new format is really a big step backward in this regard.

Thanks for your consideration. (I use 27" iMac, latest Sierra OS, latest Chrome browser)



Brenda's request that everything be put back the way it was:

My request to simplify moderating comments:

It is also suggested by the moderator at the Google Forum to click on the SEND FEEDBACK on the bottom right corner and contact Goggle for making changes. I had to "quit" the Chrome app and restart in order to see the SEND FEEDBACK button on my computer - you may or may not have to do the same.

Thanks for your help, blogging buddies!

hugs,


10 comments:

brenda said...

Thank you so much for this post Donna, so many of us totally dislike the new dashboards. What annoys me most is that it is just imposed on us without any warning or even the opportunity make an informed decision as to which way we would like to go.

We can but hope there is strength in numbers.

B x

Linda Simpson said...

A very interesting read and thank you for the information.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Linda said...

Hi Donna, thankfully I have only one blog...whew! However, the changes sort of confused and surprised me in the beginning. For example, before, when I was going through my blog reading list, I would be able to see if there was a new comment on my own blog from there...however, no longer! Now I have to actually go to the comments area to see this, so the dashboard has definitely changed quite a bit. Thank you so much for sharing. You are a gem. :)

Shirley said...

I'm on Wordpress so the new updates don't apply to me but I wanted to say how well your post is written Donna.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for this post, Donna!! I'm not a fan of the blogger changes. I'm still having trouble on other issues I wish they would address before making changes. I have people who comment but I don't get the email messages. The only way I know they've visited is if I go to my blog and look at the comments there. So frustrating. Anyway, thanks for this my friend!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Abfabdesigns said...

Thanks Donna I do not like all these changes ,I don't have the time to keep working it out ,should I be here or there lol
Thanks for the info
Xxxx

Kathyk said...

Have to say I'm not keen on the comments/moderation format either - love your post

Kathyk

Sue said...

If it isn't broke, don't fix it, right?

Hugs
Sue

Beebeebabs said...

Thanks for sharing my friend - I'm not happy with the new format either but I guess we have to flow with the punches my friend!!!

Pamellia said...

Hi Donna. I suppose my only thought regarding this, is that updates are supposed to be for improvements. I see no improvements here whatsoever. Blogger and Google aren't the only ones guilty of this. I never update the apps on my phone unless I have to, it's never better, just different! Instagram, Facebook, you name it, all they do is change things around, they never actually do anything to make things better. There, I'm done whining, off I go to the craft room where things never change unless it's an improvement. lol sending hugs :)