My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Non-Traditionally Colored Valentine for my Sweetie


Happy Valentine's Day, friends! My bestie is also the love of my life, so it was fun making a card for him.

 Actually, my time creating the card felt like I was in Leslie Miller's craft room. We both enjoy Bugaboo's fun, quirky images (so sad Jodie is no longer on-line). We both are married to wonderful guys who love the outdoors (Leslie with Rich, I with Jack) and who prefer comical to mushy. 

Will share my major boo-boo at the bottom of this post.

Valentine Bird is colored with Copic Markers, and distressed with the inks shown at left.

The brads were also colored with Copic Markers.

Being inspired by many of my dear crafting friends, I attempt to use "old stuff" from my stash on each card. Here three yellow star brads were utilized - each was altered with a different color yellow alcohol marker for visual interest.  OLD OLD OLD burlap is a "break" between two designer papers, which are also at least 7 years old.


At the very end of assembling this card, I picked up a "love" stamp, inked it up and promptly dropped its wet, inky self onto the image, picked the stamp up again and dropped it again, so TWO "love" images ruined the main element. Then I pondered stamping "love" multiple times, thinking it might look intentional. THAT DID NOT WORK. So here is the boo-boo scene:


Fortunately, a quickie home-made sentiment die cut with a tag, covered up most of the mess.


Because the message was exceedingly corny, and personal, I blurred out the bottom message in Photos, but thought you might enjoy seeing the finished product:



Who could possibly resist this love-struck little birdie full of happiness?


Products: Image: Bugaboo Valentine Bird #2,  Dies: La-La Land - Flag Banner,  Surprise Creations Double Stitched Tags, LifeStyle Quickutz Nesting Hearts,   Papers: Studio G designer & SU "turquoise", Colored with Copics, Inks: DI Speckled Egg, D Oxide Stormy Sky and Iced Spruce, Other: Star Brads, Burlap

Thanks for stopping by!

Challenges I would like to play in please:

  1. Try It On Tuesday - Feb 6 - Hearts and/or Flowers (heart balloon, die cuts, heart eyes, little flowers) 2/20 (check 2/27)
  2. Dragonfly Dreams Challenges Feb 4 - Hearts (heart balloon, heart die cuts, heart eyes) 3/3 (check 3/10)
  3. Allsorts Challenges #767  Feb 10 Hearts- (heart balloon, heart die cuts, heart eyes) 2/16
  4. Inkspirational Challenge #309 Feb 10 Hearts (heart balloon, heart die cuts, heart eyes) 2/20 (sep post)
  5. Cut it Up Challenge #297 Feb 9 - Have a Heart (LifeStyle Quickutz nesting heart dies) 2/21
  6. Pearly Sparkles Challenges Feb 1 #92 - Love/Have a Heart 2/28 (check 3/1)
  7. Moving Along With the Times #163 Feb 1 - Love/Hearts 3/1 (scroll down in post)
  8. Crafty Gals Corner #252 Feb 14  Add a Heart (heart balloon, heart die cuts, heart eyes) 3/13 (sep post) 
  9. Critter Crazy Challenge #83 Feb 1 - AG with a Featured Critter (bird here) 3/1 (sep post)

Sending Friendship your way,

23 comments:

Liz said...

Brilliant card Donna, I love the colour combination. You rescued the boo-boo perfectly. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week.
Liz xx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous Valentine card Donna,love the cute image,colour combination and embellishments,great save too looks totally meant to be.
Carol x

Thank you for joining us at Pearly Sparkles and Dragonfly Dreams.
Carol DT x

Donna said...

Happy Valentines Day Donna! This easel card is beyond adorable and like all your special touches, also your ink blending and coloring is fabulous dear friend.

brenda said...

A lovely romantic design Donna and sure he loved it, many thanks for sharing at this weeks Allsorts challenge and including a heart.

Hope you are doing as Ok as can be, been out of action for some time here, no crafting for weeks but progress as found a voice programme for commenting.

B x

Wendy L said...

This is so sweet, love it and thanks for joining us at MAWTT, xx

Wendy L said...

Love it, so cute, thanks for joining us at MAWTT, xx

Chris said...

A double delight here Donna- first to see a new post from you and second to see you've chosen a Bugaboo image. Love your design and colours, good to rest the eyes from all the red and pink creations I've admired recently! A great save from the dropped stamp too, the little banner adds extra interest to the card. I'm sure Jack was delighted with this cute and quirky card.
hugs xxx

Shona Erlenborn said...

How fun! Your little bird is adorable - love the coloring! What boo boo? The sentiment is perfect, well-saved! Love the color combination and the burlap is the perfect addition!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful Valentine for your sweetie! The design and colors are wonderful!

Leslie Miller said...

I wish you could be in my stamp room, or I in yours. I suspect a lot of giggles would ensue and I wonder if we'd get anything done, but it would sure be fun! True, I have always loved Bugaboo so much! Just look at this darling and funny little bird! Beautifully colored and designed. LOVE the papers and the banner. What boo boo? I don't see a boo boo. It's as though it never happened. In fact, I'm sure you made it better! I hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day with your one and only. Rich and I spent most of the day and evening together, but I spent the afternoon with my newly widowed bestie. Sophie got to be with her Valentine, Tommy, too. They played nonstop while the grownups drank coffee and ate brownies. It was a pretty good day!

Mervi said...

Cute and gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Donna Phelan said...

This I love! The colors are fantastic, the papers are lovely, super fun interactive design! And of course, adorable image! LOVE everything about this pretty creation!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Hi Donna! The Valentine easel card for your hubby is just delightful, I'm sure it put a smile on his face! That bird is very sweet, fun and quirky! Look at those heart shaped pupil! :) Fabulous colouring, the softness of the Distress Inks works so well with the more vibrant markers and that subtle shadow around the bird and the balloon adds some beautiful light. Love the whole design, the choice to rotate the heart has been so clever, and it's perfect with the banner. We never knew there was a boo-boo under it!! Perfectly covered and it's just another interesting detail, so eye-catching as the burlap and the cute star-shaped brads!
Thanks for your lovely comment on my work and congrats for your depth of mind, yours were the only one comment to take the signs behind it :)
Hugs

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Donna, your card is just o adorable, I love the colours and your embellishments, and what a sweet little birdie. I hope you and Hubby had a marvellous Valentine Day, Kate x

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my goodness that is just too cute, I just love how you colored it and have it inside the heart like that, the banner is cute too and like the burlap behind it, great way to save the sentiment boo boo, but I will have to say I like the banner sentiment on it so it worked out just fine :)
I am sure Jack loved it!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Bugaboo perfection, my friend!
Love everything, the coloring, inking, die cut placement, extras.
Yay for old-skool burlap and brads, too.
I know Jack cherishes it because you put so much into it.
BooBoo? That's what banners are for. Just used one over a booboo tonight!
heeheehee
Big hugs, XOX

anne said...

A fabulous card, I love the non-traditional colours an all the extra embellishments.
Thank you for sharing it with us at Critter Crazy Challenge.
Anne CC-DT

Pia S said...

Oh my gosh, how cute is this! Love how you angled the heart and the non traditional colors, so fun and dfferent! Also, thanks for joining our challenge at Try It On Tuesday.

Pia S said...

So glad to see you shared at INKspirational too:)

Joan said...

Such a cute card, love that Birdie !

Thanks for joining in at Try It On Tuesday challenge
Joan

Francesca said...

So cute! Love the design and the colors used! Thank you for playing at Dragonfly Dreams Challenge!

cm said...

Hi Donna...dropping in to share that your sweet Valentine's card is a Top Pick over at Inkspirational! Thank you so much for playing along with us!
~carol

Donna Ellis said...

thank you, Carol! xx