My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, February 22, 2024

LOST AND FOUND - "Unfinished Stuff" from my Oldie Stash

 Hello, Blogging Friends! I hope you are staying warm. Even here in central Florida, we've been in the mid 30s - and that's very cold for us WIMPY Floridians!


Taken from my "unfinished stuff stash", combining left-overs with new goodies, these 3 images were from an older company no longer in business called Just For Fun. The owners have coordinated Stampfest Florida Conventions for as long as I can remember. Back in the day... there would be more than 100 vendors with tons of free make 'n takes, lots of samples, and at least one technique demonstration at every booth. I remember those days fondly (giggle). I put together these 3 stamped pieces after coloring them with Copic Markers. The die cut heart was dry embossed and distressed with brown inks. 


PRODUCT QUESTION:

Has anyone else discovered that the reinkers for Tim Holtz AGED MAHOGANY ink ruin the consistency of the pad? I complained to Ranger WAY BACK WHEN (circa 2004?) that the reinker ink would separate and good images and distress-techniques were impossible to achieve. They acknowledged that there were issues with that color, and that they were working on it. I threw the pad and reinker away, and purchased a new pad 4 years ago more than 15 years after the first pad's formulation. The consistency of the new pad's ink formulation is also different from all my other Distress Inks. What is your experience with this color? Thanks for your feedback.

Products: Images (I think these are stamps from a defunct company called "Just For Fun". Back then (2004?), I did not keep very good records for unmounted stamps. These images were already stamped with black ink). Sentiment is from SU "Sweet Little Sentiments" (set of 8 at least 10 years old) Dies: Spellbinders Classic Hearts. Embossing Folders: Cuttlebug Swiss Dots, Apple Blossom Basket Weave & Roses, Inks: DI Aged Mahogany, Rusty Hinge, Worn Lipstick, Nocturne VersaFine Clair, Colored with Copic Markers as shown above.

May I please play in the following challenges?

  1. Crafty Gals Corner #252 Feb 14  (SECOND ENTRY) Add a Heart  3/13 (sep post) 
  2. Dragonfly Dreams Challenges Feb 4 - (SECOND ENTRY) Hearts  3/3 (check 3/10)
  3. Moving Along With the Times #163 Feb 1 (SECOND ENTRY) - Love/Hearts 3/1 (scroll down in post)
  4. Sparkles Forum Challenge #173 Hearts and Flowers (roses in the square images) 3/14
  5. Creations in Pink #67 AG Mostly Pink - must have more pink than any other colors - 3/13 (sep post)
hugs,


17 comments:

Chris said...

A lovely card Donna, beautifully designed as always. A great idea to revisit your unfinished stuff and make good use of it. The stamps are fabulous, such a shame when companies just disappear. I remember, with great nostalgia how good the craft shows used to be years ago- and so many of them too, nowadays we're lucky to get one locally once a year. I know we can buy our stash and get tutorials etc online but it isn't as much fun.
Sorry can't help re the inkpad, it's a colour I don't have.
hugs xxx

Donna said...

Fabulous collage card Donna, like your color scheme and design! So many fabulous stamp companies go out of business. I have many "older" and still liked stamps.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

What a beautiful project! I love the designs. I still have a few projects that are "work in progress" and just in the waiting box.I will get there at some point. Have a great rest of your week Michelle x

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and stamps-love the design.
Carol x
Thank you for joining us at Dragonfly Dreams.
Carol DT x

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is beautiful Donna....gr karin

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

This is a so lovely card, Donna, great design! Love these old stamped images and your sweet colouring with a very feminine palette! The embossed heart adds a bit of vintage feel and contrasts really well with them! The organza ribbon, the scallop shape and the paillette are lovely details.
RE Aged Mahogany: I rarely use Distress Inks to stamp images, for this purpose I tend to use other inks. But Aged Mahogany is one of the few I use, I have an old (around 2015) MINI ink pad and it works well for me, it gives a solid impression. I have never bought its reinker though.
Hugs

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your card is so beautiful! I love the layout and wonderful mix of colors!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Very sweet card, Donna, beautifully made!
Hmm, I got out my Aged Mahogany DI pad and reinker, stamped a little stamp with it, then inked my pad with the reinker and am letting it sit and soak in. What I can tell you is that shade has always been for me like if red had a grey shade, that would be it. Never been able to get a bold strong stamping from it. But it has been consistently like that for me since I first bought it which was eons go like you. I think of it as a background or shadow shade, especially as opposed to his other red shades. My reinker is a bit thick but still dripped onto my pad (which was still juicy). Don't know that this helps, but it's what I observed. XOX

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful, love these images and the way you have arranged them on your card, love the coloring too! The embossed heart behind is a neat touch to it all too, I always enjoy going back and using my old goodies.
Sorry to say I have never used that color ink so I don't have any experience with it.

Donna Phelan said...

Loving the beautiful stamped images and the collage style creation you created! I'm sure my 'leftovers' would not make for such a cohesive finale lol Love the pinks! I don't own Aged Mahogony so I can not help with that, sorry!

Furrbster said...

This is delightfully beautiful!

Thanks for playing along at MAWTT,

Hugz Tinz

Leslie Miller said...

You've got some beautiful oldies, Donna! I think it's wonderful anytime I see an oldie come out to play. Certain stamps are timeless, as are these, and when crafted with today's vision they look brand new. You've done such a beautiful and creative job with this card. As for the Aged Mahogany, I don't have many Distress inks other than a few oxides, and am still working with my mostly original SU pads and reinkers. I have a stamping friend who says this is one of her favorite colors, so I imagine she has not had an issue. Odd that this has happened to you. It's good to see you today. Sending hugs!

coldwaters2 said...

This is one beautiful creation Donna love the stamps and shapes you have used they fit so well together a superb card
hugs
lolo x

Lori m said...

Hi Donna, I've been MIA, sorry for the late reply. Stunning, you always know just how to make your cards special for everyone. Hugs, Lori m

Pia S said...

I love that you used old stamp from your stash, and wow are those gorgeous! Beautiful layout and color coordination, I think it's a lovely card

Samantha said...

This is such a pretty card, I love the stamps! Thanks for joining the Sparkles Monthly Challenge this month.

Lena said...

Beautiful collage of shapes beautifully stamped and coloured in. It all comes together to create a gorgeous card, Donna.
Us SE Texans feel your pain as far as the cold goes. Wish our Northern neighbours would shut their doors and not allow their cold to escape :-)
Thank you for the inspiration of working on half finished projects. I have a small box of those that I need to work on and get them finished.
I hope as your temperatures warm up that you're staying well.
Hugs,
Lena