My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Pretty Monochrome Greens Spotlight look - freebies and boo-boo's

Hello, friends! Today I'm playing in some challenges with a stamp set I've long coveted. Some friends picked it up for me at a local show last summer (thank you, Ana and Katrina!).


Because I'm trying to think outside my "normal style" creative box lately, today's card is a bit different for me. It's a spotlight technique in artsy style, using squared corners, a pretty image and philosophical sentiment.

Colored with Copic Markers in a variety of green hues, the image was heat set with clear detail embossing powder, and then surrounded by white Prismacolor Pencil for a halo effect. 


Due to the pearlescent coating on the green cardstock, the shine still seeps through the Copic Markers and allows for the un-spot-lighted areas to still remain semi-transparent, and have color show through.


The sentiment was heat embossed with white detail embossing powder, and die cut using Taylored Expressions Banner Stacklets #1 using only the "fish tail" portion. 


Two extra flowers were fussy cut after being embossed and colored, to be popped up for dimension.

I really, REALLY enjoyed working with this set, and can hardly wait to use it again, with "real" coloring. It's an inspiring set to work with. Finished card is 5.25 x 5.25 inches.


My card uses two freebies on the interior (see below).

Boo Boo Time:

So I placed a frame around the white rectangle, and used the two pop-up flowers to hide the areas where the card did not match up:




Products: Stamps: The Ton Transformation Stamp Set - Papers Bazzil Pearlized Green Textured, Xpress-it White, Inks: VersaFine Clair Green Oasis (main image), VersaMark (sentiment), MISC: White Prismacolor Pencil (for halo around butterfly), Taylored Expressions Banner Stacklets 1 die set, White Detail embossing powder, clear detail embossing powder, Wink of Stella on 3 flowers, Copic Markers

A Gift For You

Use them separately, together or as "innie's and outie's".

Please do not sell these SentimentsUse on any of your projects, including projects involving any design teams you might be on.

Click on the image to bring it to full size. Because of the changes Google Made with Blogger (June 2020), your image will appear to be solid black. Don’t panic. Right click and do a SAVE AS PNG. Once it is saved on your hard drive, you can open it and it will have a transparent background. I create PNGs instead of JPGs so they can be placed anywhere on a scene or project, and so backgrounds can be made using them. Please let me know if you have any problems. I hope they serve you well!

Enjoy!





I would like to play in the following challenges please:
  1. A Perfect Time to Craft Open Challenge #3 AG 4/1 (UE)
  2. Classic Design Challenge #3 AG 4/1 (UE)
  3. Sisterhood of Crafters (March 8) theme is GREEN 3/19
  4. Try It on Tuesday (March 7) GO GREEN 3/21
  5. Crafty Gals Corner Challenges #241 Make It GREEN 4/7
  6. Inspiration Station (March) Use mood board 3/31 (check 4/3) (Pretty Nature scene "morphing" from one season to another - just like my green flowers and butterfly - both have morphed into their new season).
 

   7. Colorful Options (March) colors of green 3/28


8. Double D Challenges (March 1) theme is GREEN mood board 3/12












9 . *New Challenge* Triple B (Birds, Blooms, Butterflies) (March) Using Green Tones for Spring and hints of change in the butterfly and flowers - thanks for a fun, new challenge! 4/6







Stamping Hugs,


34 comments:

Vicki said...

Beautiful and elegant monochrome design. Your coloring is spectacular! Thanks for sharing at Colorful Options March Challenge.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Another beauty Donna! I love this monochromatic take and the spotlighting coloring is gorgeous! Stunning work!

Donna said...

This is a gorgeous card Donna, I would of never spotted your oops if you had not told us!

Diane said...

Absolutely stunningly gorgeous Donna, what a beautiful image and you have created beautifully with it!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D, Triple B, The Sisterhood and Colorful Options!
Diane DD and TB Co-Owner and TSH and CO DT
{Nellies Nest}
{Double D}
{Stencil Fun}

Darlene said...

Absolutely unique and gorgeous design Donna! What a fabulous technique ... thanks for beautiful inspiration! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
Triple B
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

PS ... thanks for also sharing this beauty with us over on Double D and Sisterhood of Crafters. Good Luck!

Chrissy said...

Beautiful Donna Ilove the green and gorgeous design with that fabulous butterfly, just so pretty, and thank you so much for the sentiments..

Luv CHRISSYxx

brenda said...

Just beautiful Donna, I love a tone on tone card and the fresh greens are lovely with the subtle sheen showing through from the pearlescent.

B x

KarinsArtScrap said...

what a gorgeous card Donna, love this monochrome effect en fab stamp

gr karin

Lori m said...

Thank you, Donna for the beautiful sentiments. Your card is just gorgeous, the greens are fabulous and I'm loving the pretty new blog header, hugs, Lori m

Donna Walls said...

1st Donna, thanks for the Freebies! And 2nd, your card is stunning! I love all the gentle details you've added and the dimension on the flower petals. Thanks for linking up at the Inspiration Station Challenge and we hope you'll play again soon.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful monochrome card love the beautiful image and your take on the spotlight technique
Carol x

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that is such an awesome technique, I can imagine it is quite tricky. such pretty shimmer on it and I do love the dimension you gave to it with the flowers! Greg quote with it too! So pretty in shades of green!

Chris said...

This is so lovely Donna, the spotlight technique looks wonderful on this beautiful design. Gorgeous stamp and colouring, all in shades of my favourite colour, I love it.
Thanks for the lovely freebie sentiments.
Hugs
xxx

Carol L said...

I'm blown away with the way you incorporated the flowers directly into the butterfly which perfectly coordinates with the sentiment! Gorgeous and amazing, and thanks for sharing those 2 wonderful sentiments also! Thanks for sharing this at the brand new Triple B Challenge! (Carol, GD)

KraftyKoolKat said...

Such a gorgeous creation as usual Donna, I love that sentiment as well my dear friend.

Thank you so much for the freebies too.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

cuilliesocks said...

What a beautiful card Donna, I love your colours and card design. I hope you are keeping well, Kate x

Viv said...

Lovely creation Donna. The shades are awesome and thanks so much for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday!

Tee said...

I love your Butterfly/Florals design!! Awesome card!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful green butterfly composition! I am sure it is an elegant one too with the shine. I love the in and out sentiment verses you made too! I wish I could make use of digital designs still.

Lena said...

Love your monochromatic card. I always smile at your boo-boos and how well you're able to hide them. I definetely learn a lot from reading your posts :-) You see, I often make the same mistakes and sometimes can't figure out a way to fix them. But then again, there are no mistakes in crafting ... only creative opportunities :-) You demonstrate this beautifully, my friend! Your cards are always stunning!
Hugs,
Lena

Beebeebabs said...

Another beautiful creation TFS

Pia S said...

Oh, this is just gorgeous, Donna. I love your coloring on the green pearlescent paper and the spotlight technique really adds a wow factor to this design. And there’s plenty of green here. So glad to see you joining our challenge at Try it on Tuesday.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning card! I love your butterfly design and how the shimmer of the cardstock shines through the copic markers that you used - so beautiful ☺️. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Aimeslee Winans said...

LOL Donna, I think it was meant to be that you stamped crooked because the green frame definitely adds grounding and definition as there is a lot going on in that floral stamp, also weight on that side to balance the butterfly. See, you "knew" that unconsciously! I think it's a really cool card and perfect quote to finish it. XOX

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oops, where are my manners? THANK YOU for the sentiments, as usual you rock them. XOX

Donna Phelan said...

LOVE that image, it's BIG and BOLD and BEAUTIFUL! Glad you finally got it! The greens are so lush and pretty--great choice! Yes, your sentiments are lovely too! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Double D, Everything’s Coming Up Green Challenge. Donna, DT Member.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Simply beautiful and I'm loving the hues of green! Thanks very much for the sentiments too! Michelle x

Leslie Miller said...

Oooh, it's gorgeous and the shine really shows through on those flowers! I love this type of stamp and do have a few different ones. Transformation stamp is a good name for it, especially the butterfly with all it's essential pollination work. The greens are peaceful and it's interesting how you corrected your boo boo. I didn't even realize it was a boo boo until you shared the fact. We all make blunders on our cards and it's great that you show us creative ways in which to fix them. Donna, you know I've been a little busy this week, but I'm hoping to catch up now and glad I saw your card at Double D. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Hugs!

pam said...

Beautiful card Donna, love the green shades and wonderful stamp.
Hugs Pam x

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Wow your card is gorgeous... love how you spotlighted the floral part of your beautiful butterfly image, and what a great idea to stamp extra floral for dimension. Don't forget to enter your card at Double Trouble "Pinch Proof" partnering with Inspiration Station using green for your inspiration. Entering your card in Double Trouble will give you two chances at our random draw. Hope to see you there.

Mrs A. said...

Hi donna, spotted your card whilst I was loading mine up. My oh my what a gorgeous creation. So in love with your design. Hugs Mrs A.

Deanne Saunders said...

Beautiful card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our COLORFUL OPTIONS challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!!
Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Lisa said...

First great image, stunning colors and amazing coloring. The shine is so perfect!

Billie A said...

Your card is so pretty. I love the image and your coloring. So glad you shared over at Crafty Gals Corner.