My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Monday, February 20, 2023

It's Not Always Black and White AND a boo-boo - Jan's Digi Stamps

 Hello, friends! I hope this finds you well, and enjoying some crafting time.

Today's card is for Febuary's mid-month reminder at the Anything Goes Challenge at Jan's Digi Stamps!  If you use a JDS image in your card, please mention it. There is a 2nd draw specifically for those who use one of Jan's fun images.

Jan's newest sets are 25% off, and this month's Easter Sale, including all 12 sets, are also 25% off.

To create my cards, two sets were used (just click on them to enlarge):

Wild Flower Blossom $5

Peony Bloom **NEW** $4 on sale this month for $3


Inspired by design teamie Karen C's elegant Christmas Card back in November, but ignorant as to how to use a dropper, I enlisted help from friend Anne Temple who uses Photoshop, in order to create this out-of-my-comfort-zone, black and white card:

The background is not black with white poke-a-dots. It is black glitter paper. I've also used white glitter paper and silver glitter paper - hanging head in shame for using cheater glitter cardstock rather than loose glitter (smile)


None of the flowers is at the same angle, and many are flipped horizontally, then tilted. Black "shapes" and "frames" were used behind and around the flower columns. Anne, thank you for making the black flower with white lines so I could experiment without having to learn how to manipulate the app on my computer!

The sentiment is a separate "band" that floats across the front of the card and adheres on the back of the printed panel. The leaves of the middle white flower have been cut with a craft knife for more dimension:


Donna Walls of Duncan Street Designs and I were discussing colors recently, and decided to challenge each other by using hues we would not normally use. The first challenge color we discussed is ORANGE


Do you use ORANGE shades very often in your crafting?


Can you see my boo-boos?

I dropped the dark orange marker and needed to use a stencil to help cover it up:


Dimensional tape was applied to the backs of the two flowers:

Looking forward to seeing your creation in the Anything Goes Challenge at Jan's Digi Stamps!

Products: Jan's Digi Images: Peony Bloom 4055J, Wild Flower Blossoms 3310J (orange sentiment),    Inks: Black Soot Oxide, Pearlescent Orange Brilliance, Paper: X-Press It White (even for the printed black and white card), (I cheated and used black, silver and white glitter papers in the background) MS curved scallop border punch.


I'd like to play in the following fine challenges please:

  1. Worldwide Crafters and Colorists Challenge #2 AG 3/12
  2. A Perfect Time to Craft Open Challenge #2 AG 3/1
  3. Classic Design Challenge #2 AG 3/1
  4. CD Sunday PLUS #104 AG Downloaded 3/5 (1) (in this case, I arranged three individual digital flowers around the downloaded sentiment. The sentiment was given an oval frame. I also digitally applied two lines on the left & bottom for more design.(two digital sets were used to create this card)
  5. Crafty Catz Weekly Challenges (Feb 17) AG 2/23 (leave comment on entry before mine)
  6. The Corrosive Challenge #2 (Feb 11) Anything goes 3/6
  7. The Paper Shelter #541 Lace and/or Flowers 2/21
  8. The Paper Funday Challenges #50 AG with with lots of layers (my black card contains 6 layers) 2/27
  9. We Love Stamping  (Feb 5) AG with stamp and stencil 2/28 (I used a swirly "ocean waves" stencil to bring about a "swirling" sunshine, as though the wind is bringing out the wind's beauty)
  10. Inspiration Station #46 Inspiration Photo 2/28 The orange and golden hues of Nature's sunset bring out the peaceful scene of flowers that mimmic the same fantastic hues found in the sky:



Stamping Hugs,


31 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

these are fab and they are looking gorgeous Donna

gr karin

Donna Walls said...

Wow Donna, you have created absolutely stunning cards! I love the orange and your coloring/shading is so very pretty my friend! Thanks for a lovely mid-month inspiration project for the Jan's Digi Stamps Challenge.

Chris said...

The peony stamps are beautiful Donna- love how you've used them to make these stunning cards. The black/white one has such impact- so striking! The coloured one with the orange blooms is so pretty- a lovely design and I'm impressed with how you covered the boo boos- no one would ever have guessed. xxx

brenda said...

What stunners Donna, I love colour as you know and that one is coloured to perfection with superb shading, but there's something about the black and white one which is so striking.

So nice to see you at We Love Stamping this month, thanks so much for joining in and adding a little bit of sunshine with the stencil work.

B x

Donna said...

These cards are amazing! The black and white is so striking and elegant. The orange flowers are beautiful how you arranged them, the stenciling, and your coloring-wow Donna! I always enjoy your posts and explanations, I also like hearing about others boo-boos and how they made them an opportunity to embellish!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! Love your B&W with the beautiful design. Your orange card is very beautiful too, What boo boo? Love the stencil "sun ray".
Faith x

Leslie Miller said...

I like orange and I LOVE your stunning cards! In fact, I colored orange flowers yesterday. Donna, you make me swoon over these digi stamps. Jan has the most beautiful designs. I also love those delicate flowers in the first digi set shown. The black and white card is striking, and it's not cheating to use glitter paper and save the clean up. I have a file full of glitter paper. Your design on the second card, whether partially evolved from boo boos or not, is stunning. The little bit of stenciling in the corner adds just the right touch. Your coloring is gorgeous and I'm a fan of the partial framing. You are amazing!

Sue said...

Stunning, and I love the orange flowers, and the black and white card also. I don't use orange often, but on flowers I do. What a fabulous job you did with both cards. Can we really call it a "job" when we enjoy it so, hee hee!

Big Hugs, Friend, I admire your courage and enthusiasm!!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh great save, Donna. The leaves are the perfect foil. I like orange, some people have a dislike of it, not me. Not my fave but I use it. I do have to say though, the black and white card is awesome! Love the look of it and the design. XOX

Verna Angerhofer said...

You covered the boo boo up beautifully as your card design looks gorgeous and the stenciling enhances the beauty of the card.

crafty-stamper said...

Both absolutely gorgeous cards love the beautiful flowers,beautifully coloured and the love the effect with the black and white
Carol x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Your peonies look wonderful in orange, it's a colour that I sometime use. Your boo-boos are invisible, nobody would say that they there were! However, the stencilled corner adds interest, as well the paper piecing! Beautiful sentiment too! Also the black and white card looks fabulous!
Thanks so much for joining us at We Love Stamping!

Donna Phelan said...

Both of those sets are beautiful! Love the contrasts in your creations. The black and white one is so elegant and the way you rotated and angled the blossoms were great--so creative--gives a different perspective. Love the colorful blossoms, the colors are perfect! Nope....no boo boos here! These are lovely all over!

pam said...

Stunning cards Donna, not a colour I use Orange! boy looks gorgeous, beautiful flowers and love the layouts
Hugs Pam x

Melanie Hungerford said...

Your "boo-boos" actually make your card making sound more fun, but still with wonderful results! Love the black and white design, very unique. Thanks for playing along with us at the Paper Funday Challenge!

Conniecrafter said...

The black and white has some great elegant features to it, and I don't think using glitter paper is cheating one bit :) Sweet sentiment with it too!
I am going to say your second is my favorite because I just love Autumn colors so the flowers are lovely to me, and I can never tell your boo boos, you are so clever in hiding them :)
Beautiful creations!

Donna Walls said...

I'm popping back in to say thanks for sharing your gorgeous Orange Flowers with us at the Inspiration Station Challenge and we look forward to seeing more from you soon. We appreciate the support!
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge


Donna Walls said...

My friend, thanks for sharing your black/white beautiful card with us at the Paper Funday Challenge.
Donna xx

Alexandra Y said...

So beautiful! I love how you used the warm orange for the flowers! Thank you for joining us over at the Inspiration Station Challenge!

Pamela said...

Your orange card is stunningly beautiful and you've covered the 'boo hoo' really well.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Billie A said...

Awesome cards. Great look and so glad you shared over at Crafty Catz.

Jocelyn said...

These flowers are so pretty and I love the stencilled background even if it was covering an accident. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Stunning cards, it just goes to show how striking these gorgeous peonies can look when used differently. I do love a monochrome card, so classy, and the colours and shading in your accompanying card are so beautiful! Perfect sentiment too. Michelle x

Margarets designer cards said...

Very pretty flowers, I like the way you arranged them
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday plus DT

Shona Erlenborn said...

Wow Donna! You amaze me with your crafting time and time again! Both absolutely exquisite pieces. Your creativity shows no bounds! I wouldn't know where to begin with either of those.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Your cards are gorgeous, Donna! Nope, I didn't notice any booboos! I wish I could remember how to do the black and white images in Word. There was a tutorial a long time ago but I've long forgotten how to do it. Beautiful effect! Thank you for your comments on my blog! I'm starting to feel a bit better but it was a rough month or two. I still have vertigo (fell yesterday but didn't hurt myself) but the vertigo is not as bad as I've had it in the past so I'm up and around now but have to take my time and be careful with everything I do. Hope all is going okay with you, my friend! Sending hugs and warm thoughts your way.

Mrs A. said...

Two amazing cards. Love the vibrant orange card and the black/white effect on the second card is stunning. Hugs Mrs A.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh I can't decide if I like the black and white or the color more. These are beautifully executed. Both are very inspiring and make me want to bring out some flowers for some cards.

Sue said...

What gorgeous cards Donna, the black and white is so striking, and no way can I see a boo-boo in your digi card - beatifully recovered lol. Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Wendy Ann Batchen said...

Lovely project Donna. Thank you for sharing with us over at Worldwide Crafters and Colorists Challenge.
Wendy DT

Clare Jones said...

Wonderful card
Thank you for sharing with us over at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge.
Clare DT x