My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Inspiration Time at Beautiful Blossoms Challenge


Welcome, Blogging Friends! I'm so happy you are here! It was ALMOST more fun WRITING today's post, than it was to make the card - but I really laughed a lot through the makings of this project, and I hope you will laugh through the post.  YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY MY BLOG IS CALLED CREATIVE SMILES.
First things first: let me tell you about our new challenge blog:

 Last month we kicked off a Brand New Challenge called Beautiful Blossoms . 

It is a fun "mood-board-inspired" monthly challenge which features Flowers as the main focus. 

The Mood Board is a starting point, and your artwork is where your imagination takes you! You do not have to follow the theme of the Mood Board, but you do need to use it as inspiration.

Details are on the blog. Hope to see you there! 

I was inspired by the petals, pinks, and blue background in this mood board.

Have you ever had one of those projects where not one single thing works out as anticipated, yet STILL, you plug along, expecting the next step to cover up the problem, but then THE NEXT STEP becomes a problem, too? Until your whole project is one blunder after another?

Well, THAT is this card. NOTHING happened the way it was supposed to, AND that was after throwing away two-partially-colored and/or cut out items for this card! SIGH - and yet, I really did have fun making a  mess and playing with just about everything in my craft room. (What a mess to clean up afterward!)

I couldn't even take photos as I went along because it was one boo-boo after another, including:

  1.  throwing away two backgrounds
  2.  ruining the embossing powder, 
  3.  refilling the Copic marker with the incorrect color reinker
  4. restarting from scratch, 
  5. NOT ruining the EP the 2nd time, 
  6. NOT using Copics the 2nd time, 
  7. dropping the markers repeatedly on the card front
  8. warping my cardstock by spilling water on it (the SAME water I was using for cleaning my brush, so it WASN'T EVEN CLEAN WATER), 
  9. dropping the card several times and TWICE rolling over the card front with my chair, 
  10. having the super-duper adhesive stick my card front to the guillotine cutter because I had forgotten that I die cut a small hole in the back..
  11. and WHY would I do that? Because I had run out of pink cardstock for the sentiment.
  12. Picking a brad that would cover a mistake. Using a Copic on said brad to change the color, only to have my hand spasm and the color ended up on the sentiment. Went to look for a larger brad, and found one - it gaudies up my sentiment satisfactorily. LOL
DARE I GO ON? 
Speaking of boo-boo's:

OKAY, OKAY -- Those are a few of my boo-boo's. I figured, at this point, no matter what I tried to do, blunders were GOING to occur, so I pressed on... 

Jack came in and asked, "Is there anything I can do?" All I could do was laugh at that point, because he could see all the little piles in my room where I had each small boo-boo isolated to fix the mistakes. 

At the VERY END, I almost glued the completed topper onto the card UPSIDE DOWN.

BUT I PERSEVERED AND WON!

sorta...

               kinda...

After ALL THAT, 

wanna see what I made?  (giggle)




Products used: Beccy's Place Cherry Blossoms clear stamp set, Sue Wilson Lattice Arched Adornment die, Tutti-680 Stitched Rectangles, Spellbinders Decorative Labels Eight, assorted distress inks, Zig markers, Tombow markers, pink EP.

Challenges I would like to play in please:

  1. Ally's Angels #67 AG 3/9 (1 of 3)
  2. Beccy's Challenges (February) Beccy, I hope I followed your directions - please forgive me if I misunderstood. 3/1
  3. Creations in Pink #54 AG in Mainly Pink
  4. Colorful Options (Feb 2) Celebrate Pink 2/28 (sep post)
  5. A Perfect Time to Craft Open Challenge #2 AG 3/1 (winners on 3-28)
  6. Worldwide Crafters and Colorists Challenge #2 AG 3/12 (1 of 3)
  7. Pammie's Inky Pinkies #2306 AG 2/20
  8. The Paper Funday Challenge #50 AG with lots of layers 3/1
Thanks for popping by today!


32 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

What a stunner Donna...i love the colours and of course your gorgeous flowers
Cheers, Dr Sonia

brenda said...

Everything turned out well in the end Donna, it's beautiful.

And yes I can identify, I should be ashamed to admit every day I'm in the craft room Eddy comes in and leaves with the bin and a comment along the lines "how on earth do you managed to get that much rubbish". How indeed!

B x

Diane said...

Well even with all the blunders you certainly have a gorgeous card, colored beautifully, lots of pretty details and 'gotta' love the slimline! A beautiful design inside and out! Thanks too for joining our challenge at colorful Options!

Lori m said...

Oh Donna, LOL, where do I start, your blog touched my heart, I thought I was the only one with days like this.

Lovely card and blog header and your post was perfect.

Yesterday, I wood glued things upside down and now...must try and find a fix and humor to add to my project. Hugs, Lori m

Donna Walls said...

I'm so glad you pushed ahead with this lovely card. It's gorgeous both inside and out. Thanks for a great team project for the Beautiful Blossoms Challenge.
Donna xx

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my that was a work out making this card wasn't it, I understand the boo boo's as I make plenty myself but I never end up with as beautiful card in the end that you do, This is just totally gorgeous, lovely coloring and background you have done, I just love that die cut at the end and your found some lovely paper to compliment it so well for your background, the layering of your sentiment is so elegant too! I forgot all about the challenge last month I will hopefully get around to this next one :) Thanks for sharing that we all need to just keep pushing ourselves and in the end it will all come together :)

Donna said...

Your efforts paid off Donna, your card is stunning, beautiful coloring, background and the brad is perfect! Thanks for sharing your blunders, we all make them.

Darlene said...

LOL ... well, the end result is gorgeous (as I totally expected lol). Beautiful coloring and design! Thanks for amazing inspiration!

Vicki said...

Stunning card! All of the effort really paid off on this one. Thanks for sharing your story along with your beautiful card at Colorful Options February Pink Challenge.

Chris said...

Poor Donna- you really did have 'one of those days'!! Not that anyone would ever guess from the finished result which is stunning! You did really well to get there- such patience and perseverance in the face of all odds! I'm ashamed to admit I would have given up long before- flung the whole lot in the bin and spent the rest of the day sulking! Crafting is such a calm and relaxing hobby!!!!
Thank you for the smiles
Chris
x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! My goodness, you poor thing, I know what you went through, so my sympathy goes out to you. However, what you eventually achieved was worth it all, it's a very beautiful card. Your colouring is gorgeous, so is the design and insert.
Faith x

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is a very beautiful card Donna

gr karin

Sue said...

Oh I'm sorry Donna, I know I shouldn't laugh, but you made a real day of it didn't you!I quite often look like I've been burgled when I've just made a card lol. Yours is beautiful though, so pretty and elegant.
Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Verna Angerhofer said...

I don’t see any blunders so apparently you covered them quite well. It is a gorgeous card you have created even if you had to use every trick in the book to achieve it. I love it my dear friend! I wish I could have my blunders look half as good.

Barbara Bruder said...

Donna, your card is stunning as always. And yes I have had a few projects like that. Love the image and your coloring and design is lovely. Thank you for sharing with us over at Worldwide Crafters and Colorists Challenge.
Barbara DT

Donna Phelan said...

Gorgeous slimline creation! Love those pretty pink posies! That white die cut is very pretty as well! And I adore the font on that sentiment. Pretty all over. I did glue a birthday card upside down once, but it was a wine theme and my gal pal is a lush lol so I mailed it like that! Hahahaha

Jackie Cornfield said...

So pleased to see your entry here at Creations in Pink.
This is a lovely project.
Thanks for sharing.
Jackie DT @ Creations in Pink

Donna Walls said...

I'm popping back by to say Thanks for joining us at the Paper Funday Challenge, we look forward to seeing more of your lovely projects soon.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge

Leslie Miller said...

My oh my, one would never guess about the blunders after seeing this work of art! How can the rest of us not be inspired to soldier on when we make a mess of things? Yes, I've done a few of those exact same things myself, maybe not all on one card, but I understand it can be harder for you and yet you can still enjoy the process in some way. This is absolutely beautiful from the coloring to the long and low design with your special touches. Inside and envelope, too!

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

A gorgeous card and I would never have guessed all the trauma before it. Where there is glue....I normally end up stuck to it somewhere along the route in my crafting and don't get me started on silicone glue!! The weekend is nearly here, have a great one Michelle x

Aimeslee Winans said...

Girlfriend, you know I understand the entire obstacle course experience, so I will just remind you to remember that this gorgeous masterpiece you ended up completing is due to your expertise and talent, which aren't going down without a mud-wrestle fight to the end. The Devil threw its best at you and you won! Puff that chest out if it doesn't hurt too much, you deserve it! Big hugs and kisses, XOXO

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh I can relate but your card turned out amazing! I think had I glued a card on upside down after all that I might have just tossed it to the trash and walked out of the room for the day. LOL! You Won the card turned out great!

crafty-stamper said...

WEll all I can say it that your stunning card was worth all the trouble and mishaps-love the beautifully coloured Cherry Blossoms ---stunning!!!
Carol x

Bonnie Lynn said...

What a gorgeous card! Your cherry blossoms are amazing! I especially like all of the little details you added to it. Thanks for joining us this week at Pammie's Inky Pinkies. Hope to see you again. Bonnie DT

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is a real beauty Donna, it was well worth keeping going through all that was thrown at you. The Lord loves that you didn't quit and kept on going. You are made of sterner stuff.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Sara Lihz Dobel said...

Wow! These soft colors are just dreamy! Great card. Thank you for sharing at Colorful Options.

Sara Lihz

Loose Stitches said...

Such a gorgeous creation Donna! Thank you for sharing with us over at Worldwide Crafters and Colorists Challenge.
~ Sherry DT/Admin/Coordinator xx

Beccy said...

I'm sorry Donna, but I have to admit that I was chuckling by the end of your boo-boo list! Oh, how I can relate! I'm sure all of us have had one of these projects... just one mistake after another until we feel there's some kind of curse on the cardstock. It's great to see you persisted though, the end result is absolutely stunning and you certainly can't tell that there were problems. It's a beauty.
Cheers,
Beccy
P.S. Thanks for the chuckle!

Maria Nicotra Tinyworks said...

Wow Beautiful card thank you for sharing with us over at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge.
Maria DT

Sue said...

After all that, your card turned out stunning! You have the determination of a bull moose! Good for you, only one thing that makes me proud to call you friend!!

Hugs
Sue

Jackie C said...

I can so relate! Sounds an average day in my craft room!
So pleased to see your entry here at Creations in Pink.
This is a lovely project.
Thanks for sharing.
Jackie DT @ Creations in Pink

Lena said...

By the end of your beautiful card, the boo-boos no longer mattered. It looks gorgeous with all the covered up boo-boos. I know too well, what you went thru! Sometimes, cards are just that much harder to make, very frustrating but in the end still fun. Nice that you perservered, Donna, the result is well worth it!
Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs,
Lena