My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Monday, November 14, 2016

HUG A CHILD'S HEART - LITERALLY!

Greetings, everyone!
(a special note to my friends in the U.S.)



There are many card drives during the holidays and throughout the year.
May I share about one you may have never heard of?

"HUG A HEART" CARDS DRIVE FOR CHILDREN

Our Blogging Buddy Christina Hor Designs has a very special Mission.
Her husband is a cardiologist at Ohio's Nationwide Children's Hospital.

Christina tries to give parents of terminally ill children in the cardiac unit encouragement cards during the long process of procedures and care. If the saddest moment of loss happens, she provides a heartfelt sympathy card to the parents at the loss of their sweet baby or dear child.
She also tries to provide cheerful cards to the children in the cardiac intensive care and inpatient wings throughout the year.


Especially during Christmas she strives to deliver holiday cards.

This year, Christina and her children are creating mini 3D Christmas trees for each room in the intensive care and inpatient wings.
With so many rooms, Christina has never been able to have a card for every child spends Christmas in the cardiac unit. 
This year, she is hoping to do that, but needs a little help from friends.

Would you like to create a simple, sweetly-appropriate children's Christmas card for those pediatric cardiac patients who will have to spend the holidays in the hospital?



If so, here is Christina's message

As these cards go to very young age children and of different ethnic background, I do have a few guidelines.

DO's:
  • use kid's friendly images.  Kids love anything that is cute, cuddly and funny such as teddy bears, woodland creatures, reindeer, penguins as well snowman.  Just to name a few.
  • keep it clean with minimum embellishments.  However, shaker cards and pop-up cards are welcome.  So if you like making one of these cards and you know who you are, please do!   But please make sure to use strong adhesive to ensure that none of the shaker/embellishment pieces fall out.  
  • consider keeping your theme more of a: winter scene, "thinking of you" as well just a general "holiday" theme since not all of them celebrate Christmas.  Some celebrate Hanukkah, Bodhi Day, Pancha Ganapati and some just don't celebrate the holiday at all.  So avoid using sentiment like "Merry Christmas" on your card.  
           Here are some sentiments i like to use: Let It Snow; Warm Winter Wishes; Thinking of you this holiday season; Sending you lots of hugs and wishing you a happy holiday.

If you are able to help, please have your card mail to me by December 10th to the address below.  If you know of any crafty friends who would like to help, please forward the message to them or share on your blog post.  It is safe to include the address in the blog post as it is my PO Box address and not my home address.  

Christina Hor 
P.O. Box 517
Dublin, OH 43017


Thank you SO MUCH in advance for your help!

Hugs,
Christina

RECAPPING:
Christina suggested greetings to read something like:

"Sending you hugs and thinking of you this holiday season. From Ms. Christina of Ohio"

(only use your own name, of course LOL)

She will be delivering the cards and trees on Dec 15. 
She is requesting cards by December 10.

REMEMBER:

NO GLITTER - NO ORNAMENTATION THAT

 MIGHT FALL OFF OR BE PROBLEMATIC 

FOR SMALL CHILDREN.

and a sweet thank you from me to my Sweet Friends!


20 comments:

Becky said...

Great idea. Do we need to send an envelope with the card?

Also, can I repost your blog to my blog to get a little more exposure?

Linda Simpson said...

Great idea!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Christina Hor said...

Donna you are an angel! I can't thank you enough! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

To answer Becky's question. You do NOT have to include an envelope if it is A2. I already purchased those envelopes. So just the card with the inside signed would be wonderful.

Many hugs! - Christina
P.S. - my blog will be moving to a custom domain this week unless I mess up the coding transfer. LOL. But memoriescrafter will still exist until after Christmas.

Christina Hor said...

Hi Becky! This is Christina. Thank you so much for your help and for the repost sharing. To answer your question, no you do not need to include an envelope if it is an A2 card. I have those envelopes. Thanks so much again!

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna what a wonderful idea. Take care. Hugs Jackie

pam said...

Wonderful idea Donna, you are such a sweet lady.
Hugs Pam x

NanaConnie said...

O, I do wish I could...

Lisa said...

What a sweet post, Donna and such an amazing cause!! Thank you for bringing it to our attention!! Big hugs my friend!!

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

aussie aNNie said...

What an amazing idea...too far to send for me so will have to pass on this one...this time of year our postal system fails us terribly...xx

KT Fit Kitty said...

I let Christina know last night that I'm sending a few cards - it's a very worthwhile cause and I'm happy to help out, even in a small way. Thank you, Donna, for spreading the word! Sending hugs!

Karenladd said...

I will be happy to send a few cards to this worthy cause! Love the thought of one of my cards putting a smile on a child's face! Thank you for posting this Donna.

Stampsnob. said...

Lovely mission I hit the paper with mine on Sunday

http://www.ocala.com/news/20161113/paper-making-artist-overcomes-health-challenge

Abfabdesigns said...

Consider it done Donna xxx

Sybrina K said...

Hi Donna! I'm trying to reach Christina about her card drive, but am not having any luck accessing her site. Would you mind asking her to e-mail me at cards[dot]by[dot]sybrina[at]gmail[dot]com? Thanks so much!

Beebeebabs said...

Great idea!!!

Pamellia said...

This is truly a wonderful idea Donna. I'm so touched to know that there are so many thoughtful people out there that will take time to do this for a child. Perhaps there is hope for us yet. Sending hugs my friend :)

*Vicki* said...

This is such a wonderful cause! I am trying to keep my head a float with what's going on right now, but I do hope I have a bit of time to do this! Thanks for sharing my friend! :)

Pia S said...

What a lovely thing to do. Thanks for sharing!

Monica said...

This is so thoughtful of you to support your friend. Your card makes my heart shine. You make my heart shine. Love the snowman.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.