My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Sunday, January 04, 2015

Something New {Sweet Stamps}

Welcome 2015!

"Midnight Magic"

Hi, Blogging Friends! A special hello to new followers Pamellia Johnson and Debs Artliff

For the month of January it is my pleasure to guest design for Sweet Stamps! It certainly was fun choosing from their many pretty stamp designs, as well as artsy stamps, stencils, several brands of die cuts, and so much more. I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I was with the quality of their broad selection of fine crafting products.

The Sweet Stamps Blog challenge this week is SOMETHING NEW - it can be anything that speaks to you about newness. For complete details, please visit the Sweet Stamps Blog and check out what beautiful inspiration the Sweeties have designed for you! 


Today's post, while themed "Something New," is all about Midnight Magic with the newly-hatched Swan Family from Sweet Stamps. Midnight is also the magical hour when the new day starts. The new Swan Family is taking their first swim with the babies in the New Year!
I wish for you special new awarenesses in 2015 which will bring creative magic in your soul! 

I used the following products from Sweet Stamps:


I love using bold blue or navy with sweet, soft pastel pink. It was perfect for these little swimmers!
YES! it is FLAT for mailing!

TIP: There is a boo-boo on this card - I ran out of enough pink for the folded base, so the card is pieced together as shown below:
Here is the inside (using the positive stars die cut) and the Sweet Stamps sentiment:


Next I have my NOT-SO-FLAT easel card:
Isn't the Swan Family image beautiful?
I experienced another mishap while coloring with my Copics:
When opening this brand new Copic Marker, it splattered everywhere!
I was lucky that it did not splatter on the image!
TIP:
This happens when the pressure inside a Copic Marker is not equalized. To fix the problem, remove both ends of the cap at the same time. Let it breathe a moment, and then put the caps back on. This was the worst I've ever had happen. Usually, I open both ends of newly-acquired Copics, but I forgot this time.

Here it is colored, and without all the frou-frou. 
It's gorgeous like that, 
but I decided to add "stuff" to it (giggle).

What is a swan lake without roses, fauna, lacy backdrop and microfine glitter?
The microfine glitter is very fine - it lightly shows up on the floral spray. Instead of glitz, it actually provides a sweet texture.


Close Up of the sentiment:

This beautiful Umbria Italian Collection Sue Wilson die works a little differently than expected.
It comes in 3 pieces. The outermost and innermost dies completely cut on the outside.
But the middle piece does not have a cutting edge.

TIP:

A circular die cut is needed if you want to layer it as this sentiment is.
If using a Circle brand other than Spellbinders, please cut the circle first, and then place the Sue Wilson die inside and re-cut. It seems to me that the SB dies are slightly deeper in cut than other brands, and that is why I suggest that.
Here is how to do it if using the SB circles:

Close Up of the swan family in these colors:

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope my boo-boo's and tips have helped! :-)


Products Used:

I used these products from Sweet Stamps:

Sweet Stamps Swan Family #3009I
Sweet Stamps Sending Happy Thoughts Sentiment #9115F
Sweet Stamps Tuxedo Black Memento Ink Pad
Sweet Stamps SweetCuts Die Elegant Leaves

EASEL CARD:
Spellbinders Grand Circles
Spellbinders Grand Decorative Circles
Spellbinders Grand Scallop Circles
Cardstock: Xpress-It White, SU Lost Lagoon Turquoise
Embossing Powder: Mediterranean Opaque by Sparkle N Sprinkle
Scrapy Land Sue Wilson Die – Umbria Italian Collection CED1504
Scrapy Land Copic Sketch Markers


FLAT CARD:
Spellbinders Grand Decorative Labels One
Spellbinders Grand Labels One
Cardstock for the flat card: SU Pink, SU Blue, Xpress-It White
Scrapy Land Sue Wilson Die – Umbria Italian Collection CED1504
Scrapy Land Copic Sketch Markers



Challenges my card is submitted to:

  1. Creatalicious Challenges #70 - New Beginning P15 M
  2. Monday Morning Challenge (My Creative Moments) - #2 New Somethings - (new stamp, 2 new die cuts, new turq cardstock)(new babies going for their first swim in the new year) 01/26
  3. Dies R Us Challenges #17 - Anything Goes and Use Something New (Both Stamps are new- Sue Wilson, Tall Chloe Stem and Beloved Stars dies are all new)
  4. Gem of a Challenge #135 - Something New 1/15 (new stamp, 2 new die cuts, new turq cardstock)(new babies going for their first swim in the new year)
  5. Die Cut Divas (Jan 1) - Anything Goes with Die Cuts - P1 M (please see list of die cuts above)
  6. Crafty Catz Challenges #260 Anything Goes - 1/7
  7. QKR Stampede Challenge #120 Anything Goes - 1/8
  8. Stempelsonne Challenge (Stamp Sun) - #131 Anything Goes With Stamp as main focus 1/8
  9. Hiding in My Craftroom Challenge #181 Pinks (my first card displays my love of pink!) 1/9
  10. Winter Wonderland (Jan 2) Does not Have to Be Christmas this time - Favorite Color Combination - Pink and Bold Blue is one of my favorite color combinations (first card) 1/8
  11. Outlawz Coloring Challenge (Jan 2- Jan 8) Theme is BIRDS-Wings 1/8   CPC010215 
  12. Artistic Inspirations #122 - Something New -  (Both Stamps are new- Sue Wilson, Tall Chloe Stem and Beloved Stars dies are all new) 1/18


Stamping Hugs,

67 comments:

Shelly Schmidt said...

Goodness gracious- these cards are just stunning! I love your colors- and the gorgeous dies. Also love all of your tips : ) Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stamps for Jan!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow Donna, what a bunch of gorgious cards, great start for the new year!!! What a beautiful stamp!! and I love the dy cut a lot!!!
Happy, healty and creatif 2015!!!

Greetings
Maria

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, Donna, your cards are stunning! Congratulations on your GD spot - well deserved! Love the images and dies used and the style of these cards. Also enjoyed reading your tips and mishaps! Sending good wishes your way, my friend!

Hugs,
Kitty

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,

als erstes möchte ich dir ein frohes neues Jahr wünschen.

Deine beiden Karten sehen wieder ganz fantstisch aus. Ich danke dir für die Tipps wie es gestaltet wird.

Beide Kartenformen gefallen mir sehr gut. Ich freue mich das deine Motive nichts von dem Mißgeschick mit den Copic abbekommen habe. Das wäre wirklich ärgerlich gewesen.
Ich wünsche dir einen guten Start in die neue Woche.
Ganz liebe Knuddelgrüße herzlichst Silvi

Sue said...

These are truly stunning Donna. I love the image and the way you have framed it looks so beautiful. Your designs are so elegant and your detailing is gorgeous.
Hugs Sue xx

brenda said...

Both are absolutely stunning Donna, but it's the circle one that really does it for me. I love your colour combo which really works so well and all is embellished to perfection.

Wishing you and your a Happy New Year and the promise of renewed energy and health.

B x

Paula said...

As I told you, I love the coloring Donna. You highlighted the swans perfectly. I really like the circle easel card the best. Have a wonderful day!

Sue said...

Donna, Beautiful cards.

Hope you have a good start to the week. Sue

Shona Erlenborn said...

What a gorgeous image and you've created two stunning masterpieces with it. Beautiful colors and your use of the die cuts is amazing. The flower spray on the easel card is exquisite!

Denise said...

Donna this is absolutely amazing!!! I love you creative ideas with the stamp and thank you for all the lovely TIPS! I wish you and your family all the best Health Wealth and Happiness for 2015 and let all the creative juices just keep on flowing!!!
Denise
xx

Donna Maligno said...

Gorgeous job with those Sue Wilson dies. I lust after them. Love your color combinations and all the embellishments done on these cards. They are lovely.

Sherrie K. said...

Holy smokes girl, your rocked this post!!! I absolutely LOVE the Swan Family and the coloring is fabulous!
The dies you used give it such a beautiful whimsical feel and the layering...wow, just everything down to the leaves and flower cluster SO gorgeous! I LOVE these!!
Thanks for all the tips also:)
Very inspiring! Have a great day!
Sherrie K

Desire Fourie said...

Wow such a beautiful image you have used with the elegant swans. Your creations are so colourful and creative. Thank you for that hint re the pressure in Copics. Pleased that it did not ruin your image xxx
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Karen Petitt said...

Hiya huni! These are so very, very beautiful! I love that stamp image and your colouring of it is fabulous, as always. Beautiful use of dies too - and I have done the cutting out behind a layer before - it's very handy when short on card or paper lol.
I never knew Copics could do that so thank you for the tip - I will try to remember that one. Another set of stamps and more dies I know have to have because of your beautiful creation.
Hope you are keeping as well as you can Karen xx

simply monica said...

aBSOLUTELY STUNNING

~ Kendra ~ said...

TWO absolute STUNNING cards!! Amazing work!!

KarinsArtScrap said...

these are gorgeous Donna love the green card, super.
Gr Karin

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, Donna, these are stunning!! Wow, what gorgeous cards!! I love the dies you used - perfect tips, too!! I'm so glad your exploding Copic didn't taint the beautiful image!! The details you added are just perfect!! Love, love these!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Shirley said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Donna x x

Congrats on your guest design spot. Two very special makes sweetie pie especially the easel card. The shading around the swans is amazing.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

jimlynn said...

Both are so gorgeous! I can't even pick a favorite since they're so lovely. BEAUTIFUL!!!
Lynn

jimlynn said...

BIG congrats on your guest designer spot too!
Lynn

Unknown said...

Donna these are such cute cards. Your coloring is wonderful...it's always a challenge to color white objects. I really like the easel with the florals on the side. Hope you had a Merry Christmas as well:)

Pamellia said...

Holy cow Donna! These are drop dead gorgeous! Look at those fancy dies, oh my, how intricate and elegant they are! I love that stamp and the little pop of colour you added to the flowers! Amazing, the both of them! hugs :)

McCrafty's Cards said...

These are both stunning Donna, I love the swans the fabulous designs all the die cuts and the colours
Kevin xx

Donna K said...

What lovely beauties you've created, Donna! Such amazing bits of detail and elegance incorporated into both beautiful cards. I love the coloring and all of the "lace" elements on each one. You've even given us tips on how to cover our boo boos...fantastic. I look forward to the next month of your Guest appearances on the Sweet Stamps blog! Have a fab day today! ~Donna K

cotnob said...

Beautiful cards Donna, your swan images are so elegant. Your colour choices are perfect along with your card shapes and gorgeous details on the round one.
Thank you for sharing your mishaps and tips.
Pauline
x

Lori Kobular said...

Donna both of your cards are gorgeous! I adore that beautiful Swan Family stamp!! And the dies you used to showcase it are perfect!

Janis said...

Donna....these are beyond gorgeous!!! LOVE all the detailing you've done....from the fabulous coloring to the stunning dies. Wow...wow...wow!! LOVE reading your posts. They are always so helpful and informative.

I am not a Copic girl, but I had no idea what could happen with them! I am guessing at my elevation, that could esp be a problem. I do have some Spectrum Noirs that I've never had a problem with, but I will beware from now on!!!

Thanks for sharing your fabulous cards and your wonderful tips and techniques!!! Have a lovely week!!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

Stampsnob. said...

You certainly did choose SWEET STAMPS and did a super sweet job with them these cards are full of awesomeness >>>>>>>>>>>>Lis

Verna Angerhofer said...

Congratulations first of all! And, wow! What amazing works you made with those gorgeous dies and that swan image. I love them all. I am so ready to get into full creative mode. It has been too long for me and these really have inspired me. I love them!

Sue said...

Gorgeous. Love Swans, and this image is beautiful. And your awesome coloring made them so very pretty. WOW, dies are fabulous, can't seem to get enough of them myself!! Lovely cards as always.

Hugs
Sue

pam said...

Hi Donna, two amazing beautiful cards you have created here..
Gorgeous shapes..beautifully coloured images..sentiments and embellishments..great tips too..
Congrats on your GD spot..
Hugs Pam x

NanaConnie said...

Both of these are gorgeous, Donna! I'm back from all my holiday travels and it feels so good to be getting back into the routine of crafting and visiting my favorite blogs. :-D Thanks for the 'show and tell' on the double die cut with the circle die. That's great information. I do love those spectacular Sue Wilson dies! I have them on my wish list but since Santa brought me so many new dies from Scrapy Land, I feel a need to use those before I order more. Now, finally, I have to don a DT hat and thank you for playing along in our challenge at QKR Stampede. Good luck, my friend.
I also love seeing you playing at The Outlawz. :-D Hugz,
NanaConnie DT

Darlene said...

WOW! Both cards are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for all the helpful tips and Thanks so much for playing in our ‘ANYTHING GOES with a *NEW* TWIST’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

nwilliams6 said...

Donna, these are totally gorgeous! I love the images but your coloring and card designs and dies are beautiful. What a delight to come visit today. Hugz

Nazeema Calypso Thompson said...

OH my goodness... these cards are just amazing!!! I love the colors, the designs and especially your tips!! Stunning work.

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Happy New Year, luv. I saw these beauties and kept saying, wow, so beautiful and real life. Especially fond of the technique and dies used on the design.. The coloring is amazing. Congrats on GDT
Hugs

Karenladd said...

Wow Donna, these cards are just spectacular! The swan image may be beautiful, but it's your coloring that brings them to life. Thanks for giving us a little peek at your mishap with the Copics and your clever fix with card stock so that we aren't completely intimidated (haha...actually I still am intimidated by your talents!). Happy New year to you!

Abfabdesigns said...

Happy new year Donna
Well your two cards are just Stunning just Stunning what a way to start the new year of ,thank you Donna
Hugs Martine xx

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous cards, lovely added goodies and design.xxx{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}


KraftyKoolKat said...

Wow!!! Sweetie these two cards are so beautiful, I am really in awe of your talent. Thank you for the valuable tips.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Jane Savage said...

Happy New Year, Donna! Hope you had a lovely Christmas!
Oh wow these designs are STUNNING! Great use of dies and gorgeous colouring! Loving all the ‘frou-frou’ too!! xxx

SD pooja said...

Two very Gorgeous cards !I loved the way you layer delicate n lacy diecuts on your cards and also the shapes ! wonderful coloring with copics :)

Petra Swart said...

Congrats on that GD spot, Donna!!! Your swan family is soooooo beautiful!!!! Wow, what great colouring and creative use of the lovely dies!!!!! Both great cards and yeah for the boo-boo's not ruining your lovely cards!!!!
Keep well!!!

Anne Temple said...

These are stunning! Fabulous coloring on all of them and great tips too.

Vicki said...

Wow, these are gorgeous, Donna. I love the swan image.

Sandy Fredrick said...

These are gorgeous, I love the different look you gave to the same image just by using different shapes and colors. They're beautiful both inside and out. Thank you for joining us this month as our guest designer, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create next.

Karen said...

Donna, the moment I first saw these at SweetStamps, I was in love! Not only are swans one of my favorite things, but your designs with them are extraordinary. To say you are talented is a vast understatement! :o) Your eye for detail is a thing of beauty. Both color palettes are stunning and I love how you created the bottom base of the easel. SweetStamps is blessed to have you this month and I am so happy to be your newest follower. I look forward to seeing your future creations! :o)

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Melanie said...

Wonderful cards!
Thank you soo much for taking part in our "New Beginning” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw…
Hope to see you again in our next challenge as well…

Hugs,
Melanie
(DT Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges)
(DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)
(DT Come and Get It)
(GDT Kreativzeit Challenges)

Stamping With Bibiana said...

lovely both, but I gravitate towards the circular easel one, great tips too and good luck on all your entries for the different challenges
hello from california
bibiana

Leslie Miller said...

Goodness, Donna, beautiful stamp image and coloring to rival real life! Of course you had to frou-frou it up, and so very tastefully done. A lovely, delicate touch with the glitter. Gorgeous die cuts, too. I didn't know Copics would do that. I've been lucky so far, but it's been ages since I bought any new Copics. I hope to round out my collection before I retire. Hugs, friend!

Amelia Breytenbach said...

Stunning cards Donna! Beautiful stamps and die cuts - love them all. Wish you all good health, peace and fulfillment in the coming year.
Amelia

NickScrapShack said...

Great tutorial! Thank you. The aqua coloured card is my fav. So pretty!

Thank you for playing along with us at Crafty Catz this week, good luck!
Nick

Ellibelle said...

What an absolutely beautiful stamp! And you created such stunning cards with it!
Thanks so much for playing along in my New Somethings Monday Morning challenge!

Jackie C said...

Hi Donna! Love this entry, thank you for sharing with Creatalicious, Jackie CT member.

Unknown said...

Simply Breathtaking... love these cards... thanks for joining us over at HIMCR for the challenge.
Lisa
Ljcreation.blogspot.com
HIMCR DT

karalschuknecht said...

Gorgeous! is all that I need to say. Thanks for joining us this week for Anything Goes at QKR Stampede.
Karal DT

crafty-stamper said...

congrats on your new GDT spot -I love the beautiful swan image and your cards are fabulous love the die-cuts
Carol x

MaryH said...

Love Sweet Stamps images, and this one is particularly beautiful. Each card is truly a work of art, with the way you've used the dies to complement the lovely image & colors. The flower sprays added such dimension & detail to the swans,and your coloring is perfect. Thanks so much for the tips about piecing the back for a clever save, and I loved the tip on the circle dies. Those SWilson dies are so gorgeous. Don't have this set ..yet!(I'm trying to be good!) All the dies made each of these cards just zoom straight into stratosphere. Congrats on the GD, you'll be wonderful! TFS - Happy wkend.

Olenkaja said...

What a gorgous card! Perfect! I love yours image :) I really like too yours die, in which is swan. So beautiful card :)

Wendy Fraser said...

Oh wow, what stunning cards, stunning image and I love the die cuts too. Thanks for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge xx

chanya13 said...

Beautiful cards !!! Love colours and images. Thanks for joining us at Artistic Inspirations!!! I hope you get to join us again for our next challenge. Agnieszka DT

Patricia St Martin said...

WOW!!!! First thanks for the tips. You had me going up and down on your blog trying to watch and keep up with what you where saying. Your cards are both stunning and all the die cuts you put together worked beautifully.
Fabulous ideas and great inspiration.
Hugz from Wisconsin, Patricia
rubber stamping is my game blog


Arlene said...

Marvelous cards. I love what you've done with pairing the image with different colors and makng each one unique.

So glad you could join us at Die Cut Divas.

PaperDaisies said...

What a wonderful selection of cards. Great tutorial too. Thank you for sharing your talents with us over at Creatalicious. Hugs Nina

Monica said...

So charming and graceful.

kendell said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial, I was wondering how the card was put together so am grateful for this. I think your cards are just awesome.