My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Playing in CAS mix-up with alcohol ink and vellum


 Greetings, friends! I've always wanted to play in the CAS MIXUP Challenge Blog, but shy away from CAS cards because I just have trouble making them. So I took the time to make a card specifically using their displayed techniques. It's a great challenge because new technique tutorials are shared with links to an assortment of ways to play along. 

AND the design team shares absolutely fantastic samples!

This time the technique is alcohol inks on vellum. My AIs are a good 15-20 years old. I learned the hard way that even solvent products which have been carefully stored, may not have THAT long a self life! Still, where there is a will, there is a way.

CAS MIXUP Challenge Blog suggested Video Tutorials:

Alcohol Inks on Vellum using straws (Emelie Hessler - 6:34)
Alcohol Markers on Vellum (Melanie Muenchinger - 12:19)
Copic Coloring on Vellum (Jessica Frost-Ballas - 5:27)

To make my wonky frame out of glossy cardstock, I used two dies from Sue Wilson's Pierced Noble collection:


Then I used AIs (listed below) on PRINTED VELLUM (see the tiny white flowers showing through the alcohol inks?)


The die cut and frame are both from glossy white cardstock for a polished look. I hope this is considered CAS. It certainly is for me! (giggle)

The "Resting Butterfly" die is years old, but never used. So glad to play with it!


Products Used: Ranger AI: Sail Boat Blue, Citrus, Stream, Wild Plum, and Blender Solution - Dies: Die-namites "Resting Butterfly", Sue Wilson Noble Dies (Double Pierced Squares A & B - Stamps: Beccy's Place Cherry Blossom sentiment stamped with Warm Breeze VersaFine Clair with Clear EP - Paper: White Glossy Chromecoat, Pale off turquoise, Vellum


Challenges I would like to play in please:

  1. CAS Mix-Up Challenge (July) Alcohol Ink on Vellum 8/1 (sep post)
  2. Crafting Happiness #105 AG 7/26
  3. Pammie's Pinky Pinkies #2129 AG 7/26
  4. Paper Funday Challenges #31 AG 8/4
  5. NBUS #28 AG with virginal product (Die-namites "Resting Butterfly") 8/1
  6. Dies R Us Challenge #173 AG w/dies DRU sells (Die-namites "Resting Butterfly", Sue Wilson Noble Dies (Double Pierced Squares A & B) 8/1 (sep posts)


Stamping Hugs,



37 comments:

Beebeebabs said...

Absolutely beautiful - love the background and beautiful butterfly - another great creation thanks for sharing!!!

coldwaters2 said...

Beautiful CAS style card Donna the background colours are lush a wonderful creation
hugs
lorraine x

HilaryJane said...

I am so glad that you took the trouble to get out your alcohol inks and join us at CAS Mix Up this month. I love your finished card and how clever to add AI over printed vellum, I would never have thought of that. Your finished card is stunning xx

Anne Buckingham said...

The background is lovely, the colors you used blended well together. Like the "wonky" frames, has such a fun look. Beautiful card.

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is gorgeous. I just love the colours. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Chrissy said...

Beautiful card donna, I have never tried alcohol inks on vellum and ready to give that a try, so thank you for that, I love the outcome and the dies on top and the frames are so lovely..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Bonnie said...

What beautiful colors in your alcohol inked vellum, Donna! The butterfly and die cut flower look awesome against it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

Chris said...

This is gorgeous Donna, the white frame and die cuts contrast so beautifully with the wonderful colours of the alcohol inks. It's good to be adventurous and try new techniques, I have old, rarely used alcohol inks - rarely used because I haven't had much success with them in the past. I'm going to take a leaf from your book, dig them out and have another try- thanks for the inspiration.
xxx

Bunny said...

Wow! Your background is fabulous. I love the beautiful colors. The die is nice also. Glad you got to use it. I've got to try the AI on vellum. I saw this on someone else's blog and already forgot about the technique. Beautiful card. [Bunny]

Patti J said...

Donna, this is stunning! The colors of alcohol inks you used are so pretty, and the NBU butterfly is perfect! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to get my alcohol inks and vellum out! Hugs…!

Lori m said...

Each card you make is just stunning, I love the alcohol ink background, gorgeous card, hugs, Lori m

brenda said...

Same here with CAS Donna and likewise Alcohol Inks, had my oldies out the other day and found that over time some take on a different colour in exactly the same way Dylusions do.

But you CAS creation is stunning and colourful, beautifully done.

B x

Sue said...

Hi Donna, I love the colours of the card. Really pretty.

Hope you have a nice day. Sue

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Donna, a gorgeous background and I love your wonky frame.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Donna Phelan said...

Gorgeous! Your colors and that final outcome are fabulous! I know what you mean with CAS....eek! lol This is magically perfect! I think my AI are all dull and drab colors, maybe it's time to shop! Love your art, Donna!

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely beautiful inky background and love the die-cut frames
Carol x

Janis Lewis said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing at Crafting Happiness Challenges.
Janis, Owner & Design Team

Donna said...

This is stunning Donna! Your background is amazing, and like how you created a wonky die! Looking forward to watching the video's, thanks for sharing the links! Take care my friend.

Monica C. said...

Donna, this is so beautiful. I have been seeing a number of white silhouettes against alcohol backgrounds in blogland. I love how you used those stitched dies too to offset the focal center section. Just a great project.
Hugs Monica

cuilliesocks said...

So beautiful Donna, gorgeous colours and design, Kate x

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is a beautiful card Donna with a great background
Gr Karin

Mac Mable said...

What a beautiful card and I love your alcohol ink colours over the printed vellum x. Such an eye catching card with a fabulous design Donna x.

Mac Mable said...

Thank you donna for stopping by my blog and leaving the most kind, generous, friendly and sweetest of comment.....I really appreciate it and I am sending love and hugs to you x.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Love this design Donna. .... and that technique needs to be repeated - what a fabulous outcome! Thanks for sharing the videos too!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Just love that background, the colours are perfect!

Hugs Shell xx

Conniecrafter said...

It is so lovely Donna, that was a great idea to use printed vellum with your AI's I wouldn't have thought of that, your die cut was saved for just the right moment because it looks great with your background and I do like how you used your frames. Lovely combo of colors, glad even though they were a bit older they still worked nicely!

Mrs A. said...

It is a lovely background and of course can never be repeated exactly the same. I like your choice of die cut too!
, hugs Mrs A.

Sue said...

Wow, stunning background and fabulous colors! Love the card design too with the offset squares. Always and adventure coming to see what you have been up to and this is one beautiful card.

Hugs
Sue

KraftyKoolKat said...

Such a beautiful creation Donna. I adore the colours and marbling.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Sue said...

This is stunning Donna! I love the AI's on the printed vellum. Take care and have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Girl, what an eye-catcher! The white pops off the background and the bg pops right back! Stunning! And I can't really get past the fact you used the dies to EMBOSS the smaller frame onto the bigger frame. Amazeballs! Thanks for the email to catch me up. Hope that stuff works quick and you don't have to take it long! Big Hugs XOXO

conil said...

Delighted you chose to play with us at CAS Mix Up and stretched your creative muscles. The inked background is lovely with that printed vellum. Your vintage inks did a nice job on it. Your wonky frame adds a lot of character to the card and I think your diecut flower and butterfly make it look just like a garden. Thank you for sharing us at CAS Mix Up.

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Donna! LOVE the colours you've used with alcohol inks to create a beautiful background on vellum. The die-cut on top is just the perfect finishing touch. Love the two frame design. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

nancy littrell said...

Oh my..Beautiful alcohol ink on your printed vellum, Donna. I do see the tiny white flowers. Love your wonky stitched frame design. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up and hope you play along again. Hugs...Nancy

Leslie Miller said...

Gosh, my alcohol inks are at least that old and it never occurred to me that they might expire. Yours are so beautifully blended and I LOVE the idea of using printed vellum. I will look through my vellum file. In fact, you've given me an idea for using my printed vellum with or without the inks. You did an absolutely lovely job on this, Donna, and I know what you mean about it being CAS for you. A lot of my "CAS" cards feel the same way. I'm so glad you created this eye-catching beauty for our CAS Mix Up Challenge!

Karen Dunbrook said...

so beautiful...love the look.
xx Karen

Berryl Cholif Arrohman Nurriduwan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.