My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Turner Syndrome Awareness Set

 Hello, my friends! Hope this finds you well. 

HAVE YOU NOTICED?! 

Google re-instated the ability to click on photos and drag them into your draft post! YIPPEE! So much easier!


Artist Jan Mahew has created a sweet digital release for the 2021 Turner Syndrome Awareness blog hop and challenge, supporting Lori's goal of reaching out to women and girls globally. 

This darling set features 22 versatile images and sentiments for a mere $3.00

One Hundred Percent of the moneys goes to Lori's TSA chapter.


Such sweetness with this little cherub of a fairy blowing magical wishes of encouragement, I couldn't help but use the gorgeously precolored image done by Jan herself, and just add a few more coloring details.



First,  I flipped the image and created a scene by adding the "butterfly wishes" surrounding the fairy. With a Copic Multi Liner, the butterfly bodies were enhanced.  I colored her wings  to match those cute hi-top sneakers. A Sue Wilson die from her Frames & Tags Collection (Daisy Circles CED4238) was cut in half and placed behind the scalloped circle. Then it was framed with SB Decorative Labels Eight die set.

The card is 4.5" x 6"


Happiness is a green and pink creation. The Card is 5" x 7" with the Anna Griffin Flower Bramble background die. I dry embossed it and colored the die cut while it was still in the die itself. 


Her wings were also colored to match those cute hi-tops. The card was cut to the shape of the Flower Bramble background.



f

Products: Dies: SB Grand Scalloped Ovals, Anna Griffin Flower Bramble, SB Decorative Labels Eight, SB Scallop Circles, SW Daisy Circle set - Images Jan's Digi's Turner Foundation Awareness Fairy. Other coloring done with Copic Markers, Distress Inks and colored pencils with gamsol.

Challenges I'd like to support:

  1. A Bit More Time to Craft #126 Anything Goes 11/1
  2. QKR Stampede Challenge #406 Anything Goes 11/1
  3. Pammie's Inky Pinkies #2041 Anything Goes 10/19
  4. Incy Wincy Designs (10/5-17) Anything Magical Fairytales 10/19
  5. Path of Positivity #84 (10/5 - 11/1) Anything Positive Opt GIRL POWER 11/1
  6. All Fun Challenges #17 Anything Goes 10/24

ON A PERSONAL NOTE:

In the beginning of the Covid Misadventure, Jacky decided to 1) build a green house 2) raise traditionally grown veggies in "growth bags", 3) grow others hydroponically in a vertical manner. I will publish these endeavors in a tab in the future.

Unfortunately, I have experienced a faster progression of the Fascia issues, and the disease is now fully attacking my organs. So while I am passionate about gardening of any kind, I'm limited in what I can enjoy. so it's fun seeing photos from my blogging friends.

We also began raising Milkweed for Monarchs, and learned quickly a completely different type of "eco-system" develops from that adventure. It was fun!

These imposters, I believe, are called QUEEN BUTTERFLIES. Hundreds of Oleander Aphids attach themselves to the new growth, but they don't spread to other plants. The caterpillars munch down the new growth so quickly, that the aphids cannot live very long:


So I am constantly pruning the stalks down to 2 or 3 inches high, and the plants replenish their leaves to a height of about 3-4 feet in just a few weeks. These 2 photos were taken on overcast days. Below is a bush with two visible Queen Butterflies (as opposed to Monarchs) and two visible Queen Caterpillars. Did you know there were "imposter monarchs"?:


Wishing you all the best,


33 comments:

Suze said...

Two lovely cards Donna. Thanks for sharing the information on the butterflies - I found it interesting. Thank you for entering the Magical/Fairy Tales Challenge at Incy Wincy Designs.

Catnip and Kitty Whiskers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catnip and Kitty Whiskers said...

Lovely card, and the butterflies and flowers are gorgeous! I am sorry to read of your illness! I am no longer able to garden due to allergies and other health issues, but I like looking at them also! Recently started following your blog. I'll have to check out your cards, as the ones I have seen are awesome! Hope you are having a good day!

Donna said...

Your cards are so beautiful Donna, great designs with the die cuts and the darling image, I like the grass details you added. Enjoyed your butterfly pictures. Hugs, Donna

Chris said...

Donna, it's so good to see a post from you, I've missed your beautiful creations and lovely chatty posts. These two cards are gorgeous, beautifully designed and coloured- those 'fumble fingers' as you call them, haven't lost their magic! Love that you have created them to promote TSA - can't believe that a year has passed since I learned about this syndrome.
Interesting information about the Milkweed plants and Monarch butterflies- what a great project to be involved in- love the photos- the Queen butterflies are beautiful and very similar to the Monarch, I wouldn't have known the difference.
Hope you're doing well and keeping safe
hugs
xxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your cards are gorgeous using the set. So sorry your health has not improved much and that you are limited. But I love the photos of the butterflies and the garden. That looks like a great set for the syndrome awareness too.

NanaConnie said...

Gorgeous cards, Donna! That's such a sweet set from Jan's Digi Stamps. I love your butterfly photos, my friend, but am sad to hear about the disease progression. Your are always in my daily prayers. :-D

*Vicki* said...

Your creations are so pretty Donna! What a darling set and wonderful cause as well! The butterflies look amazing! Sending you hugs

Lena said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for the inspiration and for reminding me that the image is now available. Need to go get one to make a card the TS bloghop. It's so wonderful to see you crafting again, my friend! Hugs, Lena

Aimeslee Winans said...

So good to read this post from you, Donna! Your cards are simply gorgeous and I am in awe of the quality you can maintain, I know it is difficult! Your garden photos are beautiful, I know you love your garden so I am happy you have it. My prayers always with you -- the progression of a disease to the internal organs is very tough. I've been living through it with my RA and it's truly one day at a time. All my love, XOXO

Sue said...

Hi Donna, Fab cards. I always like the colour combis you use.

Those butterflies are beautiful.

Hope you have a nice day. Sue

Lori m said...

Hi Donna, so good to see you and your stunning cards.

Your butterflies are gorgeous!

I had a few butterflies this year not many.

I tried raised bed herb and veggies gardens instead flowers. Guess it was not the right combination of plants to attract them. Can't wait to see your garden photos.

Prayers for you and your health, hugs, Lori m

Bunny said...

Your cards are beautiful. We have all missed you. I love your great cards and the illustrator did a fantastic job. I think I would like to try attracting some of the monarchs. I'd probably get nothing but aphids and other weird things. [Bunny]

Wendy L said...

A gorgeous card, love thecherub and her chump legs and boots, xxx

Donna Phelan said...

Beautiful cards, that fairy image is probably the sweetest one I have ever seen! Well done, my dear! Hope you are well! xo~!

Linda Simpson said...

Oh my goodness these are so cute, love the little fairies. I have missed you my friend.
Hugs
Linda xxx

KarinsArtScrap said...

you have made 2 very beautiful cards Donna they are so sweet
Gr Karin

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna your cards are gorgeous. I love the image you have used it is so sweet. It is lovely to see a post from you and it is so full of content. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Leslie Miller said...

Donna, you made two beautiful and sweet cards with this set for a worthy cause. Adorable! Thank you for mentioning about Blogger and photos. I did not notice, but I'll try it next time. It would be very helpful! Finally, I didn't know about imposter Monarchs, either, but I noticed right away that the butterflies in the photos somewhat resembled Monarchs, but didn't quite make it. Very interesting. It's good to see a post from you anytime you can manage it. I'm sorry you're having to make adjustments to a disease that's attacking your organs. That doesn't sound good, and just look at you spreading happiness to others. Sending love and hugs from me to you.

brenda said...

Slowly Blogger seems to be getting the message doesn't he, but it's like pulling teeth, might get back to some useable format eventually.

An adorable image Donna and delightful card in the fresh pinks and greens. And wow, what fabulous Butterflies.

Take care and rest, listen to your body....and I know the stubborn ones amongst us don't like doing that do they!!

B x

cotnob said...

Two beautiful cards Donna, such a pretty image and I love that you have used it in two different ways - you are so good at doing that.
I'm sorry to hear that your Fascia issues are progressing faster now but it does sound as though you are keeping yourself busy when you can. Fabulous photographs, I look forward to seeing the photographs of your veggies in the future.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

KraftyKoolKat said...

Such a beautiful card Donna. For a very good cause. The years seem to fly by. I love your butterfly photos. I am so sorry to hear that you are so much worse in your illness. Thank you for your lovely message on my card. I am so sorry I haven't emailed you lately but I have been very down in the dumps. I have nothing to moan about, my health has been good lately. I wish I could pass some good health over to you my dear friend. It has just been Covid & feeling I have no one to talk to as our building is still in semi lockdown. And of course my son taking ill.
Hugs
Cathy
xxx

R's Rue said...

Lovely.

pam said...

Lovely to see a post from you Donna, two beautiful cards, sorry to read your illness is affecting your organs.
love your interesting post regarding butterflies, love any butterflies , not the caterpillars though lol.
Take care Hugs Pam x

crafty-stamper said...

Great to see you back Donne but sorry to hear about your illness getting worse.Love the gorgeous image and two beautiful cards and die-cut frames-for such a good cause too-very interesting about the butterflies
carol x

creationsnz said...

Hi DOnna, nice to spot you in blogland again. What a cute wee fairy in your garden, and how nice to hear your butterfly story. I wonder what you feed the fairies? Thanks for sharing with us at Incy Wincy Designs, CarolG

NanaConnie said...

I'm back, Donna, but this time I have a DT hat on my head. :-D Thanks so much for playing along and supporting our Anything Goes challenge at QKR Stampede this fortnight. Good luck in the draw, my friend.
NanaConnie DT

Conniecrafter said...

Donna it is so good to see you posting once again :) Oh that image is just too cute, and I do love the added coloring and details you have done to make it your own. Like how you framed the first card and added some die cuts to the background with it. The way you inked through the die in the second one is so pretty, that is one thing I have liked about spellbinder dies, I see it works great with the Anna Griffin ones too!
So sorry to hear that the fascia issues are becoming worse for you, you will be in my prayers that you can enjoy more things once again.

I Had not heard about those invaders, they are pretty, but sounds like they give you plenty of work.
Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Pippa said...

Two beautiful cards and gorgeous photos of the butterflies. Thank you for sharing at Path of Positivity. Pippa DT

Sue said...

So nice to see you creating. The little red haired girl reminds me of me when I was her age, a hundred years ago...I love the cards and your wonderful Donna style that no one can match!! Colors are so very pretty too.
The butterflies are gorgeous. We put a net over our pond this year, due to a Heron sitting on our garage roof several mornings in a row, so the beautiful dragon flies and butterflies and frogs didn't (weren't able to get to the water, so disappointing, but no fish had to sacrifice themselves!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, sounds like Jack is a busy boy!!

Hugs
Sue

Mac Mable said...

What an interesting post about the butterflies, the 'new' unintended ecosystem and I learnt lots, thank you x.
Your cards are absolutely adorable and well done you raising awareness x. The super cute cherub of a fairy has the rosiest of cheeks and is spreading hope x.
Sorry to hear about your health issues Donna....Sending positive thoughts and love x. Thank you for the funny animation at the bottom of the post, which made me smile x.

BożenA said...

This little fairy is so cute. You did an amazing job coloring her. It looks stunning, I love how skillfully you've added depth and three dimensions. Two captivating cards.
Thank you for the great report on these beautiful butterflies. I have never seen such butterflies in Poland.
hugs,
BożenA

Pia S said...

This is the sweetest image and you've made two gorgeous designs with it. I love them both, but I really like the effect of the Flower Bramble background, I feel the flower and leaves somehow seem to blend with the image.