My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Lavinia World #22 - A Hare-Raising Conversation

QUESTION: 
are the fonts on my blog large enough for your tablets and computers?


Hello, Blogging Friends!
Today I'm sharing two "hare-raising" cards.
Hope they don't scare you away!
(giggle)


It is time for a new
Lavinia World Challenge!


Play in our Anything Lavinia Facebook Challenge
and/or our Anything Goes Challenge Blog

Today's story 

Spellbound Fairy is having a "hare-raising" conversation with Whimsical Hare. Whimsical Hare does not want to leave her rabbit-hole home today because she is having a BAD HARE DAY. She had been cleaning house all day yesterday, getting ready for company, and now, she complained, she looks like a DUST BUNNY!

Ok - I'm stopping with the story silliness - laughing.

Both cards use identical die cuts and colors. First Spellbound Fairy and Whimsical Hare were stamped with Fantasia Purple VersaFine Clair. The fairy wings were heat set with a purple embossing powder that has clear and lavender glitter in it.

I like to make sure that my stamp images will fit inside the die cut shapes:


Make sure that all the colors will work:


The Out-of-the-Box die cutting technique was used here to accommodate her wings. Split Coast Stampers has a free pictorial tutorial and a free YouTube tutorial for the technique:


My uncoordinated fingers don't "free-lance" very well. To make a double-sided banner, I flipped my die:


I'm proud of my poor ole faithful die cut plate. That plate is well over 10 years old, and is still perfectly flat and works superbly. Probably only twice a year it gets a good scrubbing to become almost white again.


Why I take multiple photos - I cannot capture the details on a single photo. Notice how different the two fairies' wings look even though they were created exactly the same. It's that little bit of difference in the lighting. You can really see the difference if you click on the photo to enlarge it:


after the main images were inked, I distressed the backgrounds while the dies were still in place. Then applied a stencil, and inked some more.



For the two background shapes, I used the "inlay" technique. The blue halo around the fairy and hare were done with 
Caran d'Ache Luminance 6901 Color Pencils and Gamsol.



After stenciling, the ground and circle were masked and inked more:

The glitter in the circle is adhered with a Quickie glue pen and loose periwinkle colored glitter:




Thanks for stopping by today!


Lavinia World Products:


Products Used:

  1. Stamps: Lavinia World Stars Mini LAV152, Toadstool Mini LAV216, Slender Mushrooms Mini LAV151, Forest Mushroom LAV565, Spellbound Fairy LAV434, Whimsical Hares LAV482, Fairy Dust is like Love LAV024
  2. Inks: Fantasia Purple VersaFine Clair, Distress Oxide in Worn Lipstick, Distress Inks in Spun Sugar, Chipped Sapphire, Wilted Violet
  3. Caran d'Ache Luminance 6901 Color Pencils and Gamsol
  4. Uniball Pen in White
  5. Dies: Taylored Expressions Banner Stacklets 1, SB Grand Labels One, SB Grand Big Scallop Circle, 
  6. Glitter: Periwinkle Purple
  7. Embossing Powder: Purple with lavender, purple and clear glitter in it.


Challenges I would like to support:


Fairy Magic being sent your way,

50 comments:

Wendy L said...

Hi Donna, these are so gorgeous, xxxx

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous Donna great tutorial and yes I your blog is big anough for my pc.

Gr Karin

Natalia said...

So pretty!

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this a stunning pair of card. They are just so pretty. I love those stamps. I can read your blog fine. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Lori m said...

Fantastic card, it's so pretty, the sparkle and fairy wings just glisten. The colors add so much detail and dimension, just stunning, hugs, Lori m

cotnob said...

Beautiful cards Donna, I love the way you have built up the background with the inlay technique and your Fairy and whimsical Hare are fabulous. Yes, the fonts on your blog are large enough for my computer, I don't use a tablet.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Chris said...

Oh, I was just getting into the story Donna....
Beautiful cards, it's a wonderful design and lovely palette. The stamps are of course gorgeous and so much fabulous sparkle!
Your font is a really good size for me, thanks!
xx

Linda Simpson said...

Stunning cards, love the beautiful scenes you have created. Wonderful sparkle too.
Hugs
Linda xxx

cuilliesocks said...

What wonderful fairy scenes Donna, and I love your colours and designs. I love the hares, there is always something magical about them, Kate x

Sue said...

Donna, That is lovely.

Hope you are having a good week and looking forward to the weekend. Sue

*Vicki* said...

Your cards are just stunning and the colors are brilliant and so magical Donna!! I love the way you've done your inlaid die and pretty sparkle surrounding your characters too! Your stories are too cute and I love them! You have a nice sized font too!! Sending hugs

Pia S said...

These fairy cards look magical. I know the techniques you’ve mentioned, but I like how you explained the whole process step by step, I find that very useful and inspiring.

Mac Mable said...

What beautiful cards with wonderful scene making and the prettiest of colours and shine x. The font is good for me Donna x. I always love your fun story at the beginning of your posts x.

Verna Angerhofer said...

The font you used is perfect. Easy to read and no straining at all to view. As to the cards both are so awesome. Great colors, pretty fairy and a hare that looks so attentive to the fairy. I love the touch of glitter too. Thanks so much for sharing and I wish your little tale had gone further as you were off to a great start. Your opening line got my attention!

Patti J said...

Donna, these are beautiful! The colors, the inlaid technique, outside the box, and a wonderful sentiment! It’s a winner! Thanks for sharing!

Shona Erlenborn said...

These are precious! The subjects are adorable! I especially love the blue shading around your characters. Beautiful job with just the right amount of fairy dust - I mean glitter!! The font is just right!

Conniecrafter said...

Awww that image is very sweet, love the sparkle in her wings, great shading for it too. Love the glitter circle in the other one , such a neat touch!
Yes the font looks great on my laptop and desktop computer, that is all I use to view blogs.

Grandma Bonnie said...

These two cards make me so happy. I would have loved to see how you did the stencil backgrounds..that is so pretty. Love the circle around the one fairy card. Just love sitting back and reading. Thank you, Donna!

Anne Temple said...

These are both fabulous! I love all the step by step photos you take. Great color choices too :-)

Karen Page said...

Your stepped out tutorials are always amazing! As are your cards 💔 And I am not a good person to give an opinion on your font size as I currently have my pc set to show *everything* at 110%. I had corrective vision surgery years ago and while my distance is better, my close to mid-range now sucks. Then factor in my age and myopia, and basically I can't read *anyone's* fonts! LOL

Sarah said...

They are fantastic cards Donna and I love how you show the process along the way. Amazing inking too xx

crafty-stamper said...

Your font is fine on my computer-I don't use a tablet.
Both gorgeous cards love the colours,beautiful stamps and stencilling-great tip with the banner die-would never have thought of that!!!
Carol x

Carole J said...

Both cards are stunning, Donna! Love the detailed inking and stamping inside the die and the touch of glitter in the second card makes it all the more magical! xx

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, Donna, you made me laugh with your hare story! Then I got a good look at your beautiful cards. Such lovely detail over every inch of them. I like your extra photos, too. I use either my laptop or the desktop and your font is plenty large enough for me. Thanks for asking!

Maria Valente said...

Beautiful cards! Thank you so much for taking part in our "In the pink" challenge at Make My Monday. Hope to see more of your creations!
Crafty hugs

Beebeebabs said...

Such beautiful cards as always - you did a great job thanks for sharing!!!

Donna said...

Your cards are magical! Thanks for the step by step and tutorial!

KraftyKoolKat said...

Two breathtaking creations Donna.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Basslady said...

a fabulous card!

thank you so much for playing along with us at make my Monday challenge!

hugs and kisses from germany,
Silvi xoxo

Bobby said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, leaving a sweet comment and following me, Donna. I just followed you and admired your truly magical cards. Such creativity and beautiful attention to detail.

Vicky Hayes said...

You have created a wonderful magical effect with your inking and stencilling Donna! I love the glow behind the fairy and the highlights on her and the hare really bring them to life. Vicky x

Sue said...

Donna this is gorgeous - you are the queen of crafty techniques! Have a very happy week, Sue xx

Donna Phelan said...

hahahaha I've made my fortune off of Dust Bunnies lol But I must say your bunny is so cute and this is a wonderful creation!

NanaConnie said...

I love both of the cards, Donna, and I absolutely adore your Hare Raising story about them! lol The glitter is perfect on the fairy wings. Love the sentiment. Of course, I adore the color combos because of the purple but they'd be wonderful even if that wasn't my favorite color. :-D

Alina Florea said...

Excellent tutorial and the cards are absolutely WOOOOOWWWWW! So many details and those purple shades just fit perfectly. :)

sarascloset said...

Stunning cards, Donna! I just love the colors and that sweet bunny image! Who can resist a bunny, I say? Thank you for the inspiration to dust off my Wilted Violet ink --these colors are really so fabulous! Praying for you and your health in these uncertain days that lie ahead. Hugs! Sara Emily

Wei said...

Great interpretation of In The Pink. Thanks for playing along with us at Make My Monday Challenge. Looking forward to seeing your creative projects in the future galleries again. And sorry for the late comment.

KT Fit Kitty said...

These are both gorgeous, Donna! Love all the purple! Your backgrounds are so impressive! Yes, your font looks great on my PC.

creationsnz said...

Oh what a lovely story - keep going, I want to hear the ending. What lovely work and yes, there is that little touch of magic! CarolG

Lena said...

Donna, I was just getting all settled to read your fairytale and then you stopped ... I think you should write a book and illustrate it with your magical scenes. You're so very talented and this set of cards proves it, my friend. Everything about them is stunning and makes me happy. Just an FYI, if you ever decide to write a book, sign me up for your very first copy!!!
Have a wonderful day. Hugs ~ Lena

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Donna, hope you and hubby are feeling good. Since you and I are the homebodies, I will include your hubby in my prayers for my hubby to stay well on his errands out. I keep wondering if we should wipe down everything brought home, but then that's so exhausting, do you? Oh well, enough of that horrid subject. Your cards are delightful and stunning! Of course, first off they are the perfect color. And I do love that hare, lots of people use him but I really like how you have captured him like he is really interacting with the fairy. Your inlay technique looks fab especially inked while in the dies. The dots of glitter in the ring make for the perfect fairy dust, too. XOX

Donna Ellis said...

Hello, dearest Aimes -- I have sent a private email to you. Thank you for your kind comments! xx

Tracy said...

Beautiful, enchanting creations Donna, I love the colour and composition of both. Magical.
Thank you so much for the lovely comment you left on my blog.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Monica C. said...

Now at least I know who is responsible for Dust Bunnies! Thank you for the enlightenment!! lol
Your cards are lovely. I always admire your fairy cards as you make the magic jump off the paper in them. Just gorgeous.
Hugs Monica

Sue said...

Another creative, unique work of art. LOVE the pink, blue and lavender colors so pretty. And the dies with the wings cut out, fabulous. Another beauty my friend, I think they are making plans for Easter!! Stay safe.


Hugs
Sue

Arteconpapelmaderaehilos said...

I love both of the cards. Your cards are soo beautiful. Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Maritza DT

aussie aNNie said...

BEAUTIFUL you always make the most special cards lovely..♥

cass said...

Beautiful! Thank you for joining us at The Fairy and the Unicorn Fantasy Challenge.

Karenladd said...

LOVE that tip on cutting a two sided banner shape from a one-sided flag. I have a nested flag set and will have to try that myself. I've been hand-cutting my flags most of the time to get both sides notched but never though to use this technique. Your cards are always gorgeous, and these color combos are just magical.

Desire Fourie said...

Donna as always this is beautifully crafted. You are so talented. Stay safe and healthy x
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}