My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Christmas at Sweet Stampin' PSX tags

It's me! I'm back! (giggle)
Welcome to my little blog - And some Christmas tags! Every year I intend to make "to-from" tags, and I never do! So here are three, and if no other tags are made, at least I finally did three (chuckle).

Today begins a new challenge at
Christmas at Sweet Stampin'!


My marvelously brilliant teammates have fantastic samples to share! We hope to see your imaginative artwork each month in our "Anything Goes Christmas" Challenges. The challenge is for ANY Christmas theme craft project. March's Challenge is open until April 9.


This month I'm playing with a virginal "used" stamp gifted to me by friend Paula. Paula and I both went into deep mourning when PSX stopped producing.
Do you remember PSX? Do you have any of their beloved stamps in your stash?
This stamp has been in my stash for years, and I'm guessing that Paula had it for at least 10 years previously.

Sporting blue (for my cold northern friends):



Pretty in Pink for my girly-girl blogging friends:



And red-green for traditionalists:


All the products are "golden oldies" except for the colored pencils. It was fun making these sweet tags!

Some Products Used:
Image: PSX F1321 Christmas Bird House - Ebay has one here.
Dies: Darice Ornate Rectangles, Poppystamps Stitched Main Street Tags, Poppystamps Stitched Festival Tags, Spellbinders Labels 23, 
Colored With: Caran d'Ache Luminance 6901 Color Pencils and various inks.

Challenges I'd like to play in please:
  • ABC Christmas Challenge (March) E-F-G (E embellishment, F fabric, G glitz) lots of embellies, fabric ribbons/fibers, glitter & Gold glossy 4/1 (sep post)











On A Personal Note:
(if reading directly from blog post, click photos to enlarge)
Are you familiar with a tropical plant called Platycerium (commonly known as a Staghorn Fern)? Most people see a "pup" in a nursery:


We moved ours from Tampa back in the 1980s and they were already 15 years old. Because our climate has frequent freezes and frosts, we used to "cover them" with many king-size quilts and blankets for weeks at a time to keep them warm enough through the winter. But they have grown considerably, and we have grown not quite as energetic, so they are no longer covered during freezes and frosts. Apparently they have acclimated because these photos were taken last month after 2 days of freezing temperatures (and other frosty-freezing days prior to that):



Hanging in homemade wire baskets that are about 4 feet across with long quadrupled lengths of 1 inch "mule tape", the fronds (leaves) are rather "pale" and beat up from cold northern winds at this time. The fronds are between 2-3 feet long each.

The "shield fronds" cover the base of the plant where the lengthy fronds come out. If a knife or ice pick is used to puncture a green shield frond, more "pups" will emerge. Then the pups can be cut out later and transplated, or left to grow in place, as we have done here. They are about 8 feet across (2.5 meters) and seem quite happy with their home. We never dreamed they would survive here.

In the following photo the bright green trees in the background are wild NON-indigenous cheery trees (no fruit) which are, SADLY, taking over the native oak habitat. Those are on someone else's property. We remove all non-indigenous trees on our property.

We call the oak trees "Live Oaks", although there are several varieties of oaks in our hammock. There are 2 squirrel-proof bird feeders (to the extreme right a box, and left, a cylinder). The one on the left is a dream at keeping the heavier birds and squirrels out of the feed. The right feeder is 30 years old and needs to be replaced. The squirrels can "hang" from the top because of the rust (giggle).

The azaleas in the far back right are twice the height of a person:



At the top left (below) are some white and pale pink azaleas, again, twice the height of a person. Azaleas require shade in Florida due to the hot, sunny summers, and enjoy an acid soil:



thanks for visiting!
hugs,

34 comments:

Beebeebabs said...

Wow my friend - love your tags - you took one stamp and made each tag with a different look - love how you made the tag on tag. Great job as always!!!

Bunny said...

Your tags are lovely. It's a cute image.

I love the Stag Horn fern and if anyone knew about these they'd know these are B-I-G. Our Sunday School teacher years ago had a decent sized one and gave it to my mother many years ago. It continued to grow for another 15 years or more. Sadly my mother had to go to an assisted living facility. Somewhere between the transition that plant disappeared from her little unfenced yard.

I love the blooming azaleas and the feeders in your yard. Lovely to look at. [Bunny]

cotnob said...

Gorgeous tags Donna, such a pretty stamp and beautifully coloured, it's lovely to see the three different designs.
Fabulous photographs, your garden looks wonderful.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna your tags are gorgeous. I love the stamp you have used and your colouring is just amazing. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KarinsArtScrap said...

what sweet tags Donna, and I love the garden that tree is great
Gr Karin

Chris said...

Your tags are beautiful Donna, love the shape, the layers and colours..each version is lovely! The stamp is gorgeous, so pleased you gave it another airing! I do have an old PSX stamp in my collection, it's a pair of cute bears, I've had it for years, wasn't new when I bought it, part of a job lot from ebay when I first started crafting! Think it's time I used it again!
Beautiful photos ...the Stag Horn Fern is amazing, looks wonderful in the giant hanging baskets, don't think I've seen one here...definitely not as big as that anyway!
xx

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Donna, your tags are exquisite, I love them, the most beautiful of images and colours, I love even the tag shapes.
What a wonderful garden you have and that tree is amazing, Kate x

*Vicki* said...

Wow Donna, your tags are absolutely brilliant hun!! I really love the sweet bird image and you have so many gorgeous details on each one of your tags!! Good for you on getting some done! I made a couple of REALLY huge batches a few years back and still have some left! I think after this year, I'll need more probably! I barely remember the PSX, but I don't think I have ever owned any of them. :) Your yard looks so pretty and peaceful!! I'm ready for the warmer weather so that I can go out and enjoy my back yard as well!! BIG HUGS

Linda Simpson said...

These tags are fabulous Donna, love the gorgeous designs and layers. Loving the photos of your yard.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Lisa said...

All three tags are absolutely gorgeous, Donna!! I love the designs of each one!! I love how you layered a tag over a tag on the first one!! The pink is so sweet on the second!! And I love the leafy vines on the third!! They're all so beautiful!!

Your Staghorn Fern pictures are amazing!! I love, love all plants, especially tropical ones :) And the azaleas are stunning!! Have a great day my friend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

KraftyKoolKat said...

Such gorgeous tags sweetie. If this year carry's on as it is going, I will not even get the cards done far less beautiful tags like this.
That Stag Fern is awesome, thank you for sharing.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Mac Mable said...

Super cute tags all three of them. Love how you made the blue for your Northern friends, pink for your girly bloggers and red and green for the traditionalists. Such striking tags with fabulous designs and love the layering effect. Love all the sweet finishes and now you have three stunning tags.....
Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos and well done you with all the love and care with those staghorn ferns x.
We grow azaleas here too (Scotland) quite successfully as we too have acid soil and they seem to love living by the sea. It is such a shame our end that they don't last too long as they are stunningly beautiful...as are yours x.
No I am not familiar with PSX ....x
So enjoyed reading your post.

Sue said...

Hi Donna,

Loving the tags.

Your Staghorn plants are magnificent.

Hope you are having a good week. Sue

Sarah said...

What a great start on your gift tags Donna, love the pink one, really pretty. Wow, such amazing specimens in your garden xx

Verna Angerhofer said...

You are off to a great start with those beautiful tags you made. I never make them myself as mostly we hand the grownups a card with cash as we do the kids more and more too. Since it is hard for me to shop for gifts this is a simpler solution. So I make cards instead. And, I love the photos of your pretty landscape. So very gorgeous too.

Mia said...

Amazing tags, Donna. And how lovely spring photos!!!!!! Kisses, my friend.

Donna said...

Your tags ate beautifully made, I like seeing the different designs. Your yard is so peaceful and beautiful!

Conniecrafter said...

Your tags are so sweet, I love them all but I will have to say I love the pink one the best :) If you can get 3 tags done every 3 months you may be doing ok :) your coloring is so pretty, beautifully done with the different dies!
Wow your plants took off wonderfully, looks like they sure did enjoy their new home. I do love the flowers on the trees too, you have a lovely spring taking form!

Leslie Miller said...

Ahhh, those PSX stamps! It was a sad day, indeed, when they quit making them. I have very few, but who knew they'd go out of business? Some of the prettiest ever wood block stamps and now they're collectors items. Your tags with the little bird houses are so cute! Beautifully colored and designed, and a color for everyone! Fantastic staghorn ferns and I sure didn't know that about propagation. Interesting! They're huge! I know how invasive those cherry trees can be. We have a flowering tree that does bear fruit, good enough for pies if the birds and raccoons don't get them first, which they always do. The tree sends roots far, far out and little shoots pop up all over the yard. If we didn't keep on them we'd have an orchard of cherry trees.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Your tags are beautiful, Donna! The bird house tag stamp is so cute and I like how you've coloured it differently and on a different die-cut on each tag! Such a clever idea! I love these! Yes, I have some a number of old PSX stamps in my stash - I love the detail on these rubber stamps. I rarely use my wood-mounted stamps any more but I will not part with them. Your property is gorgeous! It must be a joy to go outside! It's definitely still winter here but this week it's a bit milder and some of the snow is melting.

Shona Erlenborn said...

These are fabulous Donna! Love how you made three totally different designs, using that one cute little image. The papers and embellishments coordinate so well on each one. As for those staghorn ferns? What monsters! love how you have them hanging from the big tree. Quite a statement. The azaleas are equally impressive!

Lori Kobular said...

I love those beautiful Christmas tags! YOu colored the birds and the birdhouses so pretty and I love the papers you picked to go with them. The pink one is my favorite!!

Inkyfingers said...

Three perfect tags Donna and I love each and every one of them. I do remember PSX and I have some of the ribbon leaves in my stash too lol!
Thanks for a tour of your gorgeous garden - so pretty.
Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Christmas Challenges and I hope you will join us again soon.

Sue said...

Do I remember PSX Stamps.....for sure. They had a yearly catalog that was about two inches thick that I just went through and had to have so many of their stamps. Still have them, especially the beautiful botanical ones. I even have a shelf and hutch that have their name on them from a local florist that had the stamps for awhile (where I first stamped an image and colored it) and when they discontinued selling stamps, I asked if I could buy the shelves and hutch and they sold them to me.
Your tags are so beautiful. Love the images. Nice start for next Christmas. And your flowers, absolutely gorgeous. All I see when I look out my window, is brown grass and wilted branches on shrubs and plants. But tulips and crocus will soon be peeking up through the dirt. On a good note, the ice over our pond melted yesterday and I saw fish, so they survived our harsh winter once again.

Hugs
Sue

ValByDesign, Valerie said...

Aaaahhh-mazing job!! I was on that design team a long time ago; great team! Thank you for joining us on the Merry Little Christmas Challenge Blog!

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Donna the tags are fabulous hun. Each with their own feel and finish. Love that! Amazing about your stunning (and huge) Platycerium too! They've been well loved for sure with all that special care, it's no wonder they're thriving! Hope you're having a fabulous weekend. Hugs, Wends xoxo

Jackie C said...

This has come together beautifully!
Just perfect for the Challenge! Great project! Fabulous that you have shared this with us here at The Holly & The Ivy. Good luck hun and do come back again!
Jackie DT @ TH&TI

Donna Phelan said...

I {heart} tags! These are beautiful! And YAY to you for getting them done! I love the tag on tag design, that adds for so much interest and the wonky placement is a fun little detail. The accents and glitz are BEAUTIFUL! I am expecting to see me, so get to it!!! Merry Merry!

NanaConnie said...

The Christmas tags are so adorable, my friend! I haven't even begun to think about Christmas this year and it's already the middle of March. I'll probably get inspired in June when the first of the "Christmas in Summer" challenges roll round. lol
Your stag horns are magnificent! I have no luck growing those at all. Probably the very low humidity in my area has something to do with that. Years ago, I managed to grow one indoors in a sun room but it stayed small despite a couple of attempts at transplanting it into larger pots. It got lost during a move from southern to northern California and I always thought one of the movers forgot to unpack it from the moving van. Or maybe it just wanted to stay in southern California and it ran away during the truck loading process. :-D

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful little tags and love the different coloured image -love the ferns-we used to have a larger stags horn tree in out front garden -just reminded me -no idea what happened to that!!!
Carol x

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful tags, Donna. Gorgeous image, design and details. Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Luv, Wilma

Marisol Colón said...

A lovely tags!thank you for joining us in the Colouring in Scrapland challenge and good luck!
Marisol DT

Marisol Colón said...

A lovely tags!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Beautiful set of tags - so much detail and wonderful design, coloring and embellishment. Thanks so much for playing with us at Happy Little Stampers March Christmas Challenge.