My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Wild Animals and Friends Like You (giggle) - Digi Tutorial

YAAAAYYYYYYY! You're here!
I have lots of tips today ANNNNNNNND....

It's time to share a sweet friendship card using WILD ANIMALS for the new Moving Along With The Times Challenge!
How's that for a combination -- sweet AND wild?

We hope you can play along. Challenge #76's theme is WILD ANIMALS - just make sure your card's focal image has at least one wild animal and share your card!




My cards are made entirely from white card stock. If you are new to digital images, several tips are included below:

TIP:
Don't have a special app for your digitals? Use your word processor:

Most word processors have options for creating scenes. Play with yours to see what it can do. They may have a STYLE or FORMATTING option for things like OPACITY, SHADOWS, COLORS for you to create dimension, shadows, and color intensities:









TIP: 

CREATE CUSTOM PAPER FROM  YOUR IMAGE:

I saved a duplicate of the elephant image, and cropped off the head, tail and legs.
Then I put it on the word processor sheet, and sized it.
For the larger images, I simply increased the size of the image in the word processor:



to make the images smaller, I copy and pasted the image 3 times on my sheet and cut to size:


Both these options were used on my cards. Can you identify which card used the smaller print, and which used the larger?

1. Spellbinders Detailed Scallops (frame) card 5.5" x 7.5":
The card looks beautiful before adhering the layers:



After distressing with Black Soot dye ink, I applied Nuvo Glue Pen in the Large size around the distressing, waited a few moments for the glue to set, and then applied Gilding Flakes in Silver Bullion. They are so brilliantly silver, that it was difficult to capture on camera:



Using VersaMark ink, I further distressed, and heat set with Shimmer Semi Transparent EP. The edge is now dimensionally distressed with ink, shimmering EP and gilding flakes:



Midnight Madness Detail Opaque EP #252 has lots of sparkle, and was used on the sentiment from Happy Flowers Rubber Stamp Set. Because it is a detail embossing powder, it features sentiments well:



When embossing black, I prefer using a black pigment ink. But I don't have colored pigment inks these days, so....

TIP: 

"making COLORED embossable ink"


I did not have a black pigment ink on hand, and I wanted the black background for the sentiment before heat setting with Midnight Madness Detail Opaque EP. Here's how: Ink your stamp with VersaMark (or other clear embossing fluid). Then tap on the dye base ink in the color of your choice on top of the VersaMark inked stamp. Stamp on your paper.  Apply your embossing powder. Because the VersaMark was applied on the stamp first, when the image was stamped, the VersaMark ends up being on the "top layer" of your paper. Dredge with EP and heat set. Works for me every time.

The cute flower is from Tonic Woodland Aster Die Set #1285E.

Finished Card:


2. Sue Wilson die framed card 6" x 7.5":

Layered panel was distressed with Black Soot dye ink and VersaMark
Super Thick Silver EP467 (ultra glossy) was place on the inky areas and heat FROM UNDER THE PAPER. More VersaMark was applied and Midnight Madness Detail Opaque EP was heat set, creating a shiny, dimensional, sparkling panel:

With scraps of sticker paper and the Tonic Autumnal Oak Die Set #1431E, the large leafy branch was partially cut out twice. After pulling off the protective layer, exposing the sticky substance, Aqua Marine Semi-transparent Ultrafine G1062 glitter was applied and burnished in. I did the same thing with Tonic Beautiful Brambles Die Set #586E using Pistachio Ultrafine Opaque G1053 (one of my all time favorite colors). 




TIP: color your glitter


Because I wanted to shade the leaves a little, Prismacolor Alcohol Markers were lightly used on top of the glitter.

Before and After:


Finished Card:


TIP: To make this card with the rubber stamp set:
  1. Make an elephant mask from text weight paper.
  2. Stamp the front elephant in your inky-color of choice.
  3. Place the mask on top of the stamped elephant (adhere lightly if desired).
  4. Stamp the back elephant in your inky-color of choice.
  5. Remove mask and color your images.

Products Used:


Challenges these cards are gratefully submitted to:

  1. 613 Avenue Create #211 Create your own Designer Paper (see tutorial above) 8/1
  2. Classic Design Team Challenge Blog #27 AG DT 8/1
  3. Crafting with Dragonflies #108 Animals 7/20
  4. Crafty Animals #16 AG with Animals 8/1 (sep post)
  5. Creative Craft Cottage Digi Challenge #94 Monochrome 8/3 
  6. Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #86 Anything Goes 8/1 (sep 8/4)
  7. Scrapy Land Challenges #94 AG w/SL dies (Spellbinders, Sue Wilson, Tonic)
  8. Sunny Day Crafting (7/15-8/15) Add an Animal 8/15
  9. World Wide Open DT #7  AG for DT 8/15




Thanks for stopping by!
Crafty hugs,

49 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is gorgeous and love the green colours Donna

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, stunning, Donna!! The paisley elephants look so amazing!! I have honestly never thought of altering the digis in photoshop but now you've inspired me!! I love how you made the paper, too!! This is so spectacular and your tips are fabulous!! I hope you have a great day, my friend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

brenda said...

What fabulous Elephants Donna, I love the fresh vibrant greens and paisley designs on them and then the sparkly sentiment making for one stunning creation. Might have had my eyes closed but didn't realise you were one of Wendy's 'girls'.

B x

aussie aNNie said...

Very creative and love those elephants, which are so gorgeous in that wild colour...Great sparkly sentiment as well.xx

Hazel said...

Lovely elephants in my favourite colour, perfect. Hazel x

Caz said...

Beautiful Card Donna xxxx

SD pooja said...

Way to use the digital image to it's max !! Loved the background paper and yes your card too :)

SewPaperPaint said...

WOW Donna! This is absolutely brilliant and oh so beautiful my friend! I adore the elephant silhouettes and especially in this awesome green pattern. The glitter details work perfectly. Hugs, Autumn

Wendy L said...

This looks amazing Donna, thank you, xxxx

Jeannie said...

Hi Donna! Amazing card and I just love the colors and of course the sparkle too :)

Jeannie T.
Dragonfly Journeys

Sue said...

Hi Donna, That is a fab card.

Hope you have had a nice day. Sue

Jennifer Scull said...

I love your fabulous ellies and the paper you created with them. :) thanks for the step out tutorials, too. :) so helpful!

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous Donna, love the step by step and wonderful sparkle.
Hugs
Linda xxx

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is so gorgeous Donna. Thank you for all your great tuts but I would forget all what to do when the time comes. You are one very clever & talented lady.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW this is super, what a great caard, Hazelxx

Chris said...

These cards are beautiful Donna, the elephant image is gorgeous and looks wonderful combined with the matching paper you've created! Great explanation and step by step of how you created these beautiful cards!
hugs
Chris
x

Barbara Bruder said...

OMG super card Donna. Love the elephant and the total design of this oh so ornate card. Thanks for joining us at the Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges for our latest challenge.  {Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges}Good luck and join us again soon. Hugs, Barbara

Glennis F said...

Fabulous! and thank you for the detailed tutorial too

Donna Phelan said...

Oooh love the paisley and those magnificent elephants. This is utterly fantastic! The glittery foliage and pretty flower make for fabulous accents!

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Donna, I love your paisley elephants and matching papers - thank you for the lovely clear instructions.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Poppyfield Card Crafts said...

This is an amazing card Donna and a fabulous tutorial. I love elephants, my favourite animal, the green shades are delightful

Happy crafting...

June/DT

pam said...

Wow this is amazing my dear friend, wish I had time to read and take all this in.
Hugs Pam x

Lori Kobular said...

Wow!! Donna your card is gorgeous! You are so talented with the digi stamps, I admire that you have so much knowledge of how to manipulate digis. Your tutorial is wonderful! Thank you for that! I just got some beautiful wild animal stamps from a cardmaking magazine that I am dying to use! Can you use a regular stamp for the challenge or does it have to be a digi stamp?? I love that gorgeous black embossing powder, I have to get it! You are so brave to work with the gilding flakes! I am afraid to try them! I make such a mess with the embossing powders that I can't image the mess I would make with the flakes! Those elephants are beautiful!

Sue said...

LOVE the elephant! WOW, you used so many lovely details on the card, and I love how you made the two side by side. Way too much for me to digest, but admire how talented you are with manipulating the digi, making your own paper, and creating such a beautiful card. I'm in awe of this gorgeous make!!

Hugs
Sue

Verna Angerhofer said...

What a beautiful card and so very pretty with that pattern design in the green. Right now I can't do anything that requires digis as my printer is in the shop and it may mean a new purchase for me if it can't be fixed reasonably. But I truly love the way you created your fantastic card with the elephant images.

crafty-stamper said...

Well what can I say but WOW absolutely fabulous card love the paisley elephants and die cut frame-brilliant techniques and tips how you created the B. paper too--you are clever
Carol x

KT Fit Kitty said...

You're so clever, Donna! Lots of tips and tricks here! I will have to look closer at Microsoft Word to see if any of these options are available! Your card is absolutely gorgeous! Love all the details and sparkle!

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Donna, you had me at digi tutorial! Giggling! You surely are wonderful and filled with tips today! I absolutely love the paisley elephants and now must go and try to do some of the things you shared. I love how you duplicated your elephants and changed the opacity. So very clever, but truly, what a gorgeous card! You are amazing, my friend! Been in a mojo-less state for a while, but I'm trying to "get back on that horse!" Haha! Hugs and love sweet friend...and hoping you are keeping cool and inside!! xoxo

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

Truly amazing work here, great step-by-step tutorial on your blog, end result is absolutely stunning. Beautiful work, fabulous project.
Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge


Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that is just too cool, I love the way you did the two shades of the elephant, neat idea using the inner part to make the background, I love the details in this. I forget that tip of using the embossing ink first and then the color you want, it gives a great effect to the sentiment.
Love the detail around the edges with the embossing powder. Such a pretty flower and center along with that lovely framing on the first card and on the second I just love the sparkle that you gave to the leaves. You always have such great detail and work to your cards, just stunning!

Debbie Mageed said...

Donna, how did you know how much I love elephants - especially paisley ones!? These are the most beautiful ones I ever saw! This card is stunning and the instructions are certainly appreciated. I haven't mastered the digital stamp world yet. Won't you think about coming to Michigan? There's so much I need to learn from you! ;)

DIANA L. said...

Wow Donna what a fabulous card and great tips on designing. I hope you have a great weekend

Jenny L said...

Hi Donna,
I could not comment on your blog yesterday was having great trouble with quite a few.
Here's hoping all goes well today.
I love this wonderful card and your super elephant design.
My you are so clever in creating this from digital work.
I love the patterend elephants and their colours.
The image has such wonderful depth too.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

cuilliesocks said...

What an amazing card Donna, I love the fabulous design and colours. You are very clever in your use of digi programmes, Kate x

Becky said...

Gorgeous card. I always enjoy your beautiful cards.

I don't like to contaminate my dye inks with the Versamark, so another tip for you to try is to use a stamp positioner, stamp your image with dye ink, then, without removing the image stamp again using Versamark. Then apply your embossing powder and emboss.

Janis Lewis said...

Beautiful card. Love the sparkle on the sentiment and those elephants! Thanks for joining us at Sunny Day Crafting.

*Vicki* said...

I absolutely LOVE what you've done with this image!! I have the card kit in rubber stamp form, but I love how you just make those digis work in your favor and you're so good at it! I love how you've taken the same image for the papers too! The guilding flakes make such a wonderful impact to your design! Love the glittering of the flowers too! Always a win win situation to add more glitter!! LOL!! Beautifully done as always my friend! HUGS

Beebeebabs said...

Such a beautiful card - love the elephant and choice of pattern paper - great job as always. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!!!

Pamellia said...

Such a gorgeous card Donna! I love the jungle green you used, what a perfect fit for your choice of animal! Amazing computer work, your elephants are just fantastic! The white frame is so pretty and I love the silver foil work around the edging. No card of yours would be complete without a touch of glitter, and it's just magical on the leaves and sentiment! Love it!

Apparently it's supposed to cool off and even rain next week. I sure hope they're right about that, we could really use a break from the crazy!! lol. Have a wonderful weekend! hugs :)

Valerija said...

Gorgeous wild look and feel Donna..love the elephants and gorgeous card designs...
Valerija xx

Shirley said...

Sorry Donna I have been MIA for ages.

Love this make as usual it looks so very special and super imaginative.

A true Donna original.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsArtwork.

Lena Keultjes said...

The elephants turned out cool beyond any words! Thanks for the inspiration and the tutorial, Donna!

Hugs,
Lena

Loose Stitches said...

Fabulous creation Donna, Love the colors and design!
Crafty Hugs, Sherry xx
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

MaryH said...

Gosh, a super informative tutorial with the digi work you did on here (and I have it bookmarked!). This looks very 'Eastern' with the paisley design of the elephant, and very impressive with the double shadow effect you've done. Love that you made your own paper too replicating the paisley. That was such a nifty extra detail to add more pizzaz to this wonderful card. Loving that super glittered sentiment...that's an awesome color and great to know it's detail as well. Thanks for taking time to show the pictures and explain how you did these snazzy elephants! TFS & Hugs

CdeBaca Crafts Gallery said...

Wow this is amazing! Thank you for showing the steps! Something new to try!

Mia said...

Two fabulous cards, Donna. Thank you sooooooooooo much for your wonderful tips. I especially love the tip for making my own patterned paper!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!! Hugs, my friend.

Janice said...

A fabulous tutorial and great card, love your green elephants Donna!
Janice x

Leslie Miller said...

Wow! Lots of great tips and an utterly fantastic card! I love those elephants so much and was completely smitten by them as the main attraction, then scrolled down and saw your leaves and was smitten all anew. As always, the little things catch my eye, but those leaves are no small thing. They're gorgeous. But the paisley elephants, really... dang. Love this card!

Pia S said...

Love what you’ve done with these elephants and the matching of papers throughout, it looks fantastic.