My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Sunflower Collage - Stampendous

Hello, blogging friends! It's time to share a wonderful new stamp for the new Moving Along With The Times Challenge! I hope you can play along. Challenge #74's theme is JUNE BLOOMS - just make sure your card's focal image is a flower(s) and share your card!





We have a guest sponsor this month who will be providing a prize to one lucky player: Crafty Ribbons. My card features Yellow Ric Rac Ribbon. Challenge ends July 4 at 11PM Eastern Daylight Time. Looking forward to seeing your floral creations on the challenge blog!

Today's project contains a bit of mixed media styling, using every bit of this gorgeous 6x6 Stampendous Stamp called Sunny Sketch!

I loved the way it looked with only the color - no glitter or embellishment.


But we all know I can't NOT add glitter! (love the double negative?)


After heat setting with White Detail Embossing Powder, I used assorted Watercolor sprays, markers, and reinkers - whatever was in my stash with colors I wanted to achieve. It was fun and easy! An acrylic block was my palette and I scribbled, dabbed and sprayed whatever color onto it. Then an Aqua Flow brush made easy work of the colors. Be sure to wet your paper before applying color for more fluid blending.

  
This two-pack includes one medium brush and one fine brush.

I stamped a 2nd flower, embossed it, and spritzed with Nuvo Mica Mist in Turkish Rose and Violet Lustre. This effortlessly produced a pearly iridescent flower, resisting the White Detail Embossing Powder. The flower was spritzed with water, and each petal was crimped and shaped. Every 2nd or 3rd petal was cut off so the flower beneath could be seen:


The flower center was fun! I adhered layers of Pink Fizz MicroFine GlitterGlass Glitter in Fuchsia and SilverSilver Leaf Tinsel Glitter and some micro beads on top of Dimensional Glue:



Raspberry Pink Crystal Drops have been used inside the yellow flower, along the bottom border, and a few other places. Dimensional Glue with Starfire Ultrafine Glitter was also used along the border and elsewhere:




Products Used:


Challenges this card is submitted to:
  1. As You Like It Challenges (June 21) Wet or Dry Embossing - Which is your Favorite and Why? - I have always enjoyed wet embossing because of the richness it affords. Watching it raise up into shiny, creamy textures, and marvelous colors, I can't help but be addicted to the possibilities such as resist techniques, simple golden elegance, or making my own metallic or sparkling paper for die cuts. It's a great distressing tool, too. I love playing with my EP! 7/5
  2. Cardz 4 Galz Challenge #74 Sunny Summer Days 7/5
  3. Dare 2B Artzy (June 3) Bright Colors 7/1
  4. Crafting from the Heart #211 Anything Goes 6/27
  5. Crafty Cardmakers #214 Wet or Dry Embossing (white detail EP around all the images). 7/1 (C15)
  6. Creatalicious Challenges #141 AG with flowers 6/29
  7. Morgan's Art World Challenge (June 15) 7/15
  8. Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenges #1824 Anything Goes 6/25
  9. Stamping Sensations (June 3) Anything Goes 7/1 (sep post aft)
  10. The Creative Crafters #5 Anything Goes 7/12
  11. We Love 2 Create (June 3) Anything Goes Mixed Media (same post) 7/1
  12. World Wide Open DT Challenge #6 - AG for a DT 7/15




On a Personal Note:

My Hoya plant (commonly known as Hindu Rope) is blooming again! Each year, there will be more blooms, as long as I don't trim it, because Hoyas tend to bloom in the same spot each year. Here are 2 draped "ropes" with blooms:



In this bloom, the tiny waxy shell that contains the velvety starburst can still be seen at the bottom of the bloom. It has not burst open yet:


Like Christmas Cactus, Hoyas grow up trees in the wild and have many air roots.

Thanks for visiting today!
love,


55 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous background you have made Donna and also a gorgeous card
Gr Karin

Chris said...

Wow Donna, such a glorious mix of colours, your card is like a burst of sunshine. Fabulous stamp and wonderful texture.
Have a lovely day
hugs
Chris
x

Monica said...

Hello dearest Donna,
I have been meaning to write you an email even though you are always in my thoughts. Just this afternoon I was thinking of you and when I opened my computer you popped up.
Your purple flower made me stare at it in wonder and joy. It is made so beautifully and it looks royal because of it's colour yet it has a wild touch to it. IT IS STUNNING.

Your hoya flowers are so pretty too and I like their rich juicy leaves.

Lots of love,

Monica

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Wow very very beautiful Donna ! I love the colours :) Take good care, Shirleyxx

NanaConnie said...

Love the card, Donna, and I would have been disappointed if there had been no glitter. That glittery flower is magnificent! Speaking of flowers, I've never seen a Hindu Rope in bloom and yours is amazing! Great photos, my friend. :-D

NanaConnie said...

I'm back with a DT hat on - Thanks so much for playing along in our challenge at World Wide DT Open. :-D
NanaConnie DT

Jennifer Scull said...

'wow' pretty much sums up how I feel about this.... :D this is simply amazing!

Shona Erlenborn said...

Another Wowser! Loving the soft colors of the watercoloring and then this bright outstanding result from your glittery beauty! Gorgeous glitter goodness! One can tell that you had fun with this! Your hoya plant is amazing Donna. Thanks so much for sharing!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW Donna your project is like a work of art...fit to frame and hang in a gallery and oooh I am seeing these plants for the first time...so intriguing they look...I really wonder if I would find it here in India...gotta search!!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Hazel said...

That flower is perfect, I love it. I love your Hoyas too - I've never heard of these flowers before. Hazel x

Lisa said...

Wow, Donna, what a stunning card!! The colors are amazing!! That is the most beautiful flower I've seen!! I love the texture you added!! All of the details are so amazing!! I love, love this, my friend!! It's so creative, artistic and gorgeous!! And your Hoya plant is so beautiful!! The blooms are so pretty and picturesque!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Poppyfield Card Crafts said...

Hi Donna

Gorgeous vibrant card and I love the photos of the Hoyas, first time I've heard about them and must show hubby!

Happy crafting....

June

Verna Angerhofer said...

This is absolutely stunning. I love the colors and all the dimension on it too.

Jenny L said...

Hi Donna,
what a super lovely card and the colours are so vibrant.
Lots of lovely work gone into this super make.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Donna Phelan said...

Beautiful flowers, real and paper! WOW! I adore the colors of your card, aren't they just magnificent!!! Then how you accented that one, WOW! I looooove that! AHmazing!!!

April said...

What a beautiful card! I love the added dimension on the flower. The colors are beautiful too. Great job!

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is a stunning card it is just so beautiful I love it. Your plant looks just amazing it is so pretty. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Wendy L said...

Super card Donna Thank you.
I have never seen or heard of a Hoya plant but it looks quite amazing, xxx

Glenda Atkins said...

Fabulous work, your card is a glorious display of colour and your flower is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers!
hugs
Glenda DT

Sue said...

Hi Donna, The card is so pretty. I love the colours.

The plant is beautiful.

Hope you are having a nice week. Sue

KraftyKoolKat said...

Wow Donna I am blown away with the beauty of this creation.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

SD pooja said...

You got me with the glitter !! The dimensional flower looks wow ! Hoya plant very interesting to know about it !

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous textured purple sunflower love it and great background
Carol x

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

An absolutely stunning project you have created here. Looks amazing. I love that gorgeous purple flower, it is incredible. Lovely work and beautifully photographed too on your blog. Always a pleasure to drop by and view your talented work. Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge

 

KT Fit Kitty said...

How beautiful, Donna! I absolutely love your card! It has a retro vibe and so much gorgeous texture! Your Hoya flowers are beautiful too!

Sue said...

Wow, love the bright fun colors you chose for your card. awesome 3D flower too. Just beautiful, Donna. That Hoya plant is awesome never saw anything like it! Thanks for sharing both.

Hugs
Sue

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Donna this is just spectacular!! Your coloring is just amazing and I totally Love the dimension you brought to the flower, that is just wonderful!! LOVE this!!

I have never seen those flowers you are growing before, so pretty and that is great that they bloom every year!

brenda said...

Hello Donna, here at last.

What with health issues and then a holiday my blogging has really been on a back burner so apologies for the no show for so long. I am trying to 'do better' but fear the hospital is going to want me back shortly after this weeks CT scan - oh I do lead a colourful life!!

Your piece of artwork today is glorious, the depth of colour in the lovely blooms is a delight and with the added interest of a little sparkle against the lovely inky background.

Many thanks for joining in with our June challenge at Stamping Sensations.

And your succulent really is flourishing in the Florida sunshine, you can send some here if you like - the sunshine that is.

B x

B x

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

Your colors are so stunning together, Donna; great choices to use together. Love this! What amazing texture you've achieved on the flower center too. I am keeping this post so I can refer back over and over again for all your tips and ideas. Thanks for the beautiful share!

Linda Vich said...

So very pretty Donna!

*Vicki* said...

This is absolutely STUNNING Donna!! Really love the colors and how clever what you've done with the flower petals too! Your background looks just as amazing with the blended colors and design! Very mixed media styled and I just LOVE it!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful post my friend! HUGS

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation Donna, love the flower! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters. We hope to see you again.
~ DT Sherry x

Debbie Mageed said...

Me again! I just saw this gorgeous card in the gallery at Cardz 4 Galz and wanted to stop over to let you know how much I love, love, love this card! It is so cheerful and beyond creative, IMHO. I really want to hold it and get a good look at the center of the flower. Love it!! Thank you for sharing your incredible creativity with us at C4G!!

crafty said...

What a wonderful flower. Thank you for joining us at Crafting From the Heart.
Mary

Cazro said...

A stunning card with so much detail. Thanks for sharing with us at Cardz 4 Galz. I have sent you an email. Caz DT.

Diane said...

Stunning card Donna, WOW, all the beautiful work you put into is is gorgeous...your lovely plant is just as beautiful too, I really like the 'wax' leaves, it almost doesn't look real it is so perfect and beautiful, an interesting plant!

CdeBaca Crafts Gallery said...

Lovely colors!

Leslie Miller said...

Now that's what I call art! I'm in awe. Your card is perfectly representative of the fun stamp room supplies that many of us have but, conversely, many of us don't get around to using. You, however, are a master! Love the stamp and every gorgeous thing you've done with it. Stampendous... sigh... I could go shopping crazy there. Speaking of art, Nature is the finest, isn't she? Your Hoya is a sight to behold with those curly waxy leaves and starry pink blooms. I just shake my head.

Lori Kobular said...

Wow Donna!! Such a gorgeous floral card! I love the colors on your card and that sweet bee! It screams summer!! I absolutely LOVE your Hoya plant! The flowers are gorgeous!

Michelle B. said...

Oh my, what a fabulous card! Wonderful technique and love the colors! Thanks so much for joining us at Creatalicious Challenges!

Judy McKay said...

Stunning colours. Beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

Lin said...

OMW this is just stunning! I love the gorgeous colour palette, and that flower is to die for. How on earth did you get the centre bit to curl the way it has????? Whatever you did, the end result is just sublime.

Thank you so much for sharing in our 'wet or dry embossing' challenge.

Lin
Crafty Cardmakers

Arlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

oh Donna I am so pleased you entered this stunning project today in our Challenge. I just love it. Great work.
Thank you for sharing with us over here at Morgan's Artworld Challenge, best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT for  http://morgansartworld.blogspot.com.au/<br

Arlene said...

The collage makes me think wonderful summery thoughts. This packs a punch, for sure. Thank you for sharing with us over here at Morgan's Artworld Challenge, best of luck with your entry.


Arlene DT for http://morgansartworld.blogspot.com.au/ <br

Gemma Hynes said...

Beautiful, bright and colourful. Thank you for joining the challenge on the Love to Create blog.

Jacqueline Muller said...

I love all the techniques you've used. Looks stunning! Thank you for sharing with us at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Jacqueline DT World Wide Open Design Team Challenge

Sue - said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for joining us at Cardz for Galz.

Loose Stitches said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loose Stitches said...

Gorgeous creation Donna, love the colors! Thank you for sharing with us over at Morgan's Artworld Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Sherry DT for http://morgansartworld.blogspot.com/

sarascloset said...

What a brilliant mixed media card, Donna! Like you said you could have stopped at just the color, but all those extra details take this from stunning to outrageously beautiful! I love that real plant, too! You grow beautiful things! Having a hard time growing anything in posts this year. I think I may have gotten some bad potting soil. Yes, I am watering and fertilizing! Have a great day! Hugs!

Lena Keultjes said...

Gorgeous! Simply stunning!

Desire Fourie said...

You are just so talented and artistic Donna. Adore your stamping and wonderful colouring on this. Wow the Hindu Rope really has lush clusters of perfection.
Hugs
Desíre
{ATG with a CREATE WITH TLC Element}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Pia S said...

Oh my, how gorgeous is this. The stamp is amazing, but it’s your eye for color and glitter detailing that makes this card this awesome!

Judy V said...

Beautiful creation! Thank you for sharing with us over here at Morgan's Artworld Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry. Love to see you join in each month. Thank you.

Judy DT for
http://morgansartworld.blogspot.com/