My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Gaudy Project of the Decade {Scrapy Land}

Welcome, dear friends, and to newest follower Patti Senter!

ALERT! 
This project deserves the Gaudy Project of The Year Award!

Well,
     it could not get any gaudier
          and
               I can't believe I'm showing it,
                     but here is my latest project for
the new Scrapy Land Challenge -- 

A Number Ten Size Can repurposed as a decorated cookie container to be mailed.
     The cookies will be protected in the can,
          stay nice and fresh,
               and the decoration will suffice as Christmas wrap!



The Challenge is open until November 30. 
The theme is ANYTHING GOES WITH TEXTURE using any die manufacturer which Scrapy Land sells (electronic die cuts do not qualify)Scrapy Land sells over 40 brands of dies, including overseas products, and most are at a great discount
  plus free shipping over $45!


The Cookie Container uses the following die cuts:

All the dies are from Scrapy Land:

Impression Obsession Pine Branch









































The Matte Snowflakes are a smooth texture in contrast to the glittered Poinsettias.
The Lumiere Paints showcase the underlying mulberry paper, and give a pearly look.

Some of the papers for the Poinsettias are textured.
There are four sizes of glitter used to show more texture.


All die cuts were adhered with Alleen's Quick Dry Tacky Glue.
They dried rather quickly - even the chipboard snowflakes.


MORE TEXTURE:
The lid has layers of the Pine Branch, stuffed with silver mesh.
The lace was sprayed with lavender and turquoise spritzes from a company who is no longer in business.





The lid also sports an old floral pick from Michaels. I cut it apart. Using the same blue paint, I painted the pine tree portions and dredged with Sparkle N Sprinkle Tinsel Shape Glitter. Martha Stewart chunky glitter was used on top of the painted silk holly leaves. An assortment of glitters was used on the pine branch die cuts.


Thanks for checking out my GAUDIEST EVER project - I certainly learned a lot playing with all the supplies!

Path of Positivity Challenge - Gratitude:

Every December, our "Cookie Group" puts together a huge box of decorated cookies to send to a Vietnam War Vet who suffers from PTSD, deafness, and other war-related disabilities. We are so grateful to do this special thing for him. He lives in a remote area of the country without any of the conveniences we take for granted. He walks four miles to town to pick up his mail, uses a generator as necessary for "power", removes icy snows from the roof his log home, hunts and cures his own meat, grows and stores his own vegetables. This gentle soul knows he is a danger to others, and is most comfortable living alone, and in a "community" where most of his neighbors share similar challenges also "courtesy" of Vietnam. I've been blessed to meet him on occasion when he visits a nearby farm to help his family out. These visits are decreasing, as traveling by bus and train are becoming increasingly taxing to his PTSD. He loves receiving our goodie packages. Each of the cookies are in paper decorated packaging, have their own recipes included, and according to his words, "makes me feel like I'm home for the holidays". He enjoys sitting by the fire at night, munching the goodies, and re-reading the recipes, even tho he does not bake.

WE ARE GRATEFUL for all the people who have sacrificed and served in some capacity to help others and/or to serve our country.

It takes so little to bring GRATITUDE to our own hearts - simply by doing small, thoughtful things for others, which in turn, brings GRATITUDE to their own dear hearts.

At the risk of being sappy - your cyber friendship brings GRATITUDE to my heart.

Stamping Hugs,
CHALLENGES PLAYING IN:

  1. Clear it Out - Nov 18 Challenge and Stash is Anything Goes with Paper Crafting - I have used long forgotten mulberry paper, first time use for the Poppy Stamps Blooming Poinsettia, first time use of the Lumiere Paints (in my stash at least 8 years) 11/24
  2. Craft-Room Challenge - #89 - Anything 3D (lots of dimension in my project) 11/24
  3. Holly Jolly Christmas Challenge - Nov 11 Colour Choice BLUE, WHITE, SILVER (silver mesh ribbon and glitter, assorted blue papers, blue paint, white snowflakes)11/24
  4. Through the Craft Room Door - TTCRD Nov 18-24 - Anything Goes 11/24
  5. All Crafts Challenge - Oct/Nov - Anything But Cards - 12/1 (check tab)
  6. Craft Hoarders Anonymous - #20 Box it Up! - repurposed #10 can for packaging cookies, hoarded items were forgotten copper mulberry paper, Lumiere paints (in my stash at least 8 years), old floral pick, and first time use of Poppy Stamps Blooming Poinsettia 11/30
  7. Path of Positivity - #20 Gratitude (please see paragraph in my post) 12/1
  8. The Pink Elephant - #TPE277 "ANYTHING BUT A CARD" 11/24
  9. Unstampabelles Challenges - #41 Box it Up! Create a box/container and document how it was made (shown above) 11/28
  10. Dream Valley Challenges - #95 Anything Goes 11/27

69 comments:

Paula said...

Hello my friend, your project, which you deem gaudy, portrays the season perfectly; sparkles and snowflakes. I love the darn thing, but I can cross the gaudy line in point 02 seconds. Thanks for sharing, you had me intrigued when you told me about this the other day.

craftieodmae said...

Oh My Word!! This is amazing, so gorgeous and Christmasie!!!!

Lady E said...

This is just amazing! And great tutorial!! Hugs from Emilia

Sarah said...

Gaudy? No way...it's Christmas on a can!! xx

Unknown said...

It's fun to just play and see where it takes you....I think you did an excellent job...so sparkly and pretty:)

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,

was für eine wundervolle Arbeit. So eine geniale Verzierung mit wunderschönen Details und viel Blin Bling. Ganz genau mein Geschmack. Ich liebe die blauen Farben in den verschieden Schattierungen. Ich bin absolut begeistert. Ganz liebe Grüße Silvi

KT Fit Kitty said...

Well I don't know why you think this is gaudy - it's absolutely gorgeous! I love all the sparkle and texture - and the colors are so pretty! Thank you for showing the steps of how you made it - I have never tried anything so elaborate! Wow, Donna, you've made a gorgeous gift container that the recipient will cherish long after the yummy cookies are gone! Sending hugs to you, dear friend!

Patricia Chalas said...

donna this is adorable!!!
love the colors

SD pooja said...

Is this what you call gaudy ?? You are wrong..Its such a lovely shimmery festive project ,I loved this repurposed jar a lot !

KarinsArtScrap said...

what a beautiful decoreted box Donna, lots to see on
Gr Karin

brenda said...

Gaudy is harsh Donna, I would say vibrant and vivid and so very appealing to the eye. Great dimension as well with the flowers and snowflakes.

Apols I missed the post below, not up to much blogging for a week or two so playing catch up now.

B x

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Donna, your creation is not gaudy it's beautiful! I love the colours and the glitter on the poinsettias. I hope you are doing well. Hugs, Shirleyxx

jimlynn said...

I beg to differ!!!! Not gaudy at all, just beautiful! So festive and love all the Christmas sparkle! Thanks for showing how you did it. Amazing that you can turn a can into something this pretty.
Lynn

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow what an amazing project , I really love it!!! Great colours and beautiful glittering!!!

Greetings
Maria

Anne Temple said...

I think your project is amazing looking! So many fun details and I love the colors.

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is so stunning sweetie and I don't find it gaudy at all. It is such a gorgeous colour and I love all that sparkle.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

NanaConnie said...

Stunning re-creation, Donna! Love all the sparkle, of course, and your use of various shades of blue, including on the poinsettias, is marvelous. Now, I have to put on a DT hat -- So tickled to see you joining in our "Anything Goes" challenge at Through the Craft Room Door this week. I hope we see you again for our next challenge, too.
NanaConnie DT

Pat said...

Donna, Your project, and your paragraph on gratitude, is once again such a positive reinforcement of the saying, "Life can be good."
Thank you for playing in the Path of Positivity challenge this month-glad to see you back!

cotnob said...

It's not gaudy Donna, I love the beautiful colours and all of the fabulous texture and details you have added. I especially like the lid with the layered pine branches and adorable little present.
Pauline
x

Sue said...

Well Donna, I have to agree with all of your other blog friends - I don't think this is gaudy at all, it gorgeous. I love the colours and wonderful textures. Full of festive detailing and sparkle, it's a real delight to see.
hugs Sue xx

Sue said...

Hi Donna, I am loving the decorated cookie can.

What a lovely thing you do for that man. I hope he has a peaceful Christmas.


Sue

Lisa said...

Oh wow, Donna, this isn't gaudy, it's absolutely gorgeous!! I love how you repurposed the can!! It looks amazing!! The details you added are perfect!! And how awesome that you took time to make a tutorial, too - thank you!! What a wonderful thing your Cookie Group does, too. Beautiful story!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Sharon said...

Gaudy - definitely not. Fabulous - absolutely. Love the tutorial and you have embellished your project beautifully.
Love the post on gratitude Donna.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Hugs Sharon. x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Not gaudy at all. It is filled with festivity in the colors and elements you chose for this project. I adore what you did and think it is absolutely wonderful!

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Donna this is gorgeous, I love all the detail those flowers are so beautiful and so much fabulous sparkle
Kevin xx

Jean Bullock said...

It's not gaudy. It's a party on a can. I love it. What a loving and wonderful thing to do for our veterans.

Linda Anderson said...

Wow, that is one fabulous project! You really put a lot of work into that! Love your colors and embellies. Thanks for joining us at Holly Jolly Christmas.

Linda

N-Eva said...

Wow.... what an amazing project and great tutorial. Great colours and beautiful glittering <3 <3 <3 .Thanks for joining us at Holly Jolly Christmas challenge.Neva

Stampsnob. said...

I never disagree with you my friend but I am fighting you on this on NOT GAUDY I love your tin can and it would make a beautiful gift package........Lis

Susan Hogan said...

Gaudy must mean something different in your house - it is full of fun and festive glittered goodness! A grwat box! Thanks for playing along with us at Unstampabelles.

Shona Erlenborn said...

What a gorgeous way to repurpose the whey can, Donna! Love every detail. It's a work of art and a beautiful act of kindness.

Jane Savage said...

Gaudy? No! Beautiful? Yes! This is really gorgeous, Donna and your story even more so! Accounts like this make me realise how grateful I am for all the things I have! Thank you for reminding me! Hugs! xxx

Unknown said...

This is fantastic. What a wonderful repurposed piece.
Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

Petra Swart said...

Oh, your cookie tin looks so beautiful, Donna, and thanks for taking the time to show how you have done it!!! What a fantastic idea to send the cookies to this special guy!! Loved your post!!!
Hugz

creativearts said...

Donna, this is a fantastic container you made for Christmas. I use to make containers similar to this to sell at craft shows. Yours has beautiful colors and I love how it sparkles. Take care and enjoy all of your holidays to the fullest. I know Jack will be taking care of you. Love, Eleanor

Lynn's Place said...

Cute take on the challenge @ CIO ...stop by again to play <((><

Glenda said...

Your project is wonderful! So many layers and textures and so much attention to detail! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

CG said...

Gaudy but great! I really like the result, and your instructions are wonderful. Thank you so much for joining us at UnstampaBelles! Best, CG

Carol L said...

You're not only an amazing crafter, but also a great caring soul too! I absolutely LOVE this re-cycled container that must have taken an eon to put together, but it's absolutely fabulous! I love the colors and all of the special details! Kudos to you for caring so much about a Vietnam veteran who served his country!! May your kindness be returned to you tenfold! People like you restore my faith in mankind time and time again!

Jane said...

Amazing work. Thanks for playing along with us at Unstampabelles.

Amelia Breytenbach said...

This tin is gorgeous Donna. Love the blue color and textures, lovely embellishments too.
Have a wonderful day,
Amelia

vic said...

Beautiful Donna I think it looks absolutely gorgeous :)
Hugs
Vic x

MaryH said...

I have to disagree with the 'gaudy' description. It's bright, cheery & so very pretty with all the texture & color & gorgeous embellishments you've added. Loved reading the How-to, and then especially liked seeing who the can of goodies would be sent to. (My DH is a VN vet so I doubly appreciate the fact that this veteran has not been forgotten). You've done a marvelous project & an even greater gift of goodness. Thank you very much. You're a Christmas Angel - fer sure! Hugs

Sue said...

What a lovely project (NOT GAUDY AT ALL). One that took a lot of time and a labor of love I see. What fun though to just get your hands yucky and dig in with all those supplies. Your altered can is going to bring such joy. And it is beautiful, like you!

Hugs
Sue

Lori Kobular said...

What a beautiful contanier for Christmas cookies!! I'm sure the person that receives it will be delighted!!

Karenladd said...

Oooh, a project full of beautiful snowflakes, glitter and sparkle...what's not to love? Oh, and when you recycle something that always makes it even better!! Love the blue and silver colors especially!

Nance said...

An amazing project, Donna! It shows a lot of love and effort. Thanks for sharing at The Pink Elephant Challenge! Come back again soon!

Katherine Clayton said...

I think this is PERFECT and not gaudy at all!!! What a wonderful thing you and your friends do for one of our "heros" . . . so many of them are just discarded and forgotten. I am so glad to hear that this one has not been. Thanks so much for sharing your story and project with us at Clear It Out Challenge for this week's "Anything Goes" challenge . . . hope to see you join us again soon!!! (and GOOD LUCK!!!)

Kathy - CIO DT
UpintheNightwithKat.blogspot.com

Monica said...

Wow, Donna, this is NOT gaudy at all. It is beautifully done and I like all the glitter and other stuff on it.

Thank you for staying in touch and supporting me with loving kind words. I appreciate you sincerely.

You are an angel,

Monica

Dale Tiernan said...

Plus, the tin can be re-used by the new owner. Perfect. Thanks for joining in at Unstampabelles.

Claire Dale said...

Fab container - love the bright colour! Thank you for joining us at UnstampaBelles for our latest challenge!
Claire xx
UB DT

lost coast scrapper said...

Beautiful work! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Pammejo said...

Very creative use of a container, fabulous idea...thanks for joining us on the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog.

Cara said...

Awww . I don't think it;s gaudy Donna! Bright and Christmas-y is my thought. Great job on the upcycle. Thanks for sharing this with us at Through The Craft Room Door. Please come play along with us again! (Hugs) Cara

Leslie Miller said...

There is so much to love here, Donna. And then I finished up with your lovely story of kindness, giving, and compassion. It is truly heartwarming, what you do. Now... your gaudy project... I would call it "festive", and not gaudy at all! Isn't the holiday season the best ever time to go all out with the glitter and fluff and bright, happy colors? It's an awesome project! I love to alter things, but don't get around to it often enough. Must remedy that, I think. I like how you covered the lid. I never have much luck with the plastic lids, getting adhesives to stick for any length of time. What a fun and inspiring project!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW Donna...I loved the step by step photos...makes it all the more stunning. Loved the sparkle and the wonderful festive look you achieved!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Karen Petitt said...

Hiya huni, sorry it has been way too long since I visited - a bit rough right now and a lot going on too! This is beautiful Donna, you may say it is gaudy but I say it is made with much love and I love it! You have created beautiful frosty shades of blue and wonderful texture! The fact that you then fill it cookies and send it on to a Veteran makes it more beautiful in my eyes.
I love every detail and am suffering from severe die envy! I love the branches in particular and I have a dreadful weakness for snowflakes too. Love the glimmer on those beautiful poinsettias too! Sending you huge gentle hugs hun and I hope you have a fabulous and lovely holiday season too Karen xx

crafty-stamper said...

I love the comment from Sarah-Christmas on a can love all the texture and tutorial-and such a thoughtful gift
Carol x

Shylaashree said...

donna, it is a real festive treat for me. gorgeous decorations
thanks for joining us at Unstampabelles
DT Shylaa
Adhiraacreations

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow Donna this is just soooo festive and beautiful. Adore the wonderful sparkle and the vibrant blues. Great way to reduce your carbon foot print. This is so perfect for our GRATITUDE theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Path of Positivity DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

nwilliams6 said...

Heartwarming story - could be on Lifetime as a Christmas story. Wow - this is so special. I know he will enjoy the can as much as the cookies. You are soooo sweet - I love this. Beautiful can with lots of sweet touches. Great idea. Happy Thanksgiving!!! Hugz!!!

aussie aNNie said...

Super stunning creation...love the colours and creativity.xx
The Journey is the Start

creative lady said...

Wow, so clever, so elegant! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

wendipooh13 said...

just love the colors and altered tin!!!!! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous.

Gloria Stengel said...

You say gaudy and I say a can of sparkly goodness! I love the blues and all the sparkle! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous for our Box challenge!

Shirley said...

I adore all the before and after pics Donna, the finished make is amazing and so pretty.

Been MIA for a while but I have scrolled down to see all the makes I have missed and wow comes to mind. Take care sweets.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Patricia St Martin said...

Oh my Donna this is just stunning. I love the sparkles. I love your heartfelt story of a man that gave so much for us. This is sad that it is only done once a year, it should be done all the time. He gave his life and he should be thanked everyday and the thing these great man do not want to be put up in a high spot they just want to live like we do, but with a little thank you and respect. My son saved a woman's life her boyfriend was going to kill her and the very sad thing is he killed their 11 month baby before my son could get to him but after he killed the baby he was going to kill the woman. My son stepped in and took him down to the ground until the police got their and I tell him he is a hero and you know what he tells me, Mom no I'm not anyone would of done what I did. He think he did nothing but that woman would be dead just like her baby if he did not step in. The police have the monster that did this and my son will help them put him away forever so he will never hurt anyone again and this just happen 1 month ago. I so proud to be his month. Life has so many changes.
Hugs, Patricia

Kali said...

very great :)
Hugz
Kali

JD/ Jill said...

I think your project is really pretty and so festive. Just perfect for this time of year.
thanks for sharing this story, and for all that you do...Blessings to you...