My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Monday, August 04, 2014

Possibilities {Path of Positivity Challenge #17}

Note: for Edith updates, please click here.

Greetings to my SWEET followers, and to Sue (Graceful Greyhounds) and Lynn (my newest google followers!) Thank you for dropping by. 
This month I am "guest designing" for the Path of Positivity Challenge which lasts from August 4 until August 31, when voting will take place. 

The POSSIBILITIES theme is Perfect Timing for me! These past 2 months I have made several lifestyle changes and some difficult decisions to allow new possibilities into my life.

The sponsors and prizes for this challenge are:
  • Two images (or three if you use a TSB image on your creation) from The Stamping Boutique, our guest sponsors this month, for the post or project that the DT deems most inspiring of the bunch.
  • Three digital images from Ike's Art for a person chosen in a random draw based on all entrants.
  • One digital image from Creative Bug Digital Stamps for each person chosen as a DT Delight.
There will also  be:
  • One digital designer paper (made to order in a few different ways) from Décosse's Dynamite Doodles for one lucky voter who leaves a comment.
  • One digital sentiment for every single person who enters the challenge.


Today I have two card shares using the same image:


This month's PoP sponsor is The Stamping Boutique. They designed this wonderful "Escape the Tower" image (from their Enchantment Line) to remind us that --
we all need to escape the towers of our existence from time to time
* and *
to renew our appreciation of what is right in our own backyards. 
The past two months I've been doing just that, 
and falling in love all over again with the beauty of my "little existence".


Possibilities

What are they? They all mean something different to each of us, and depending on our outlook, we might view them as cumbersome. I try to view Possibilities (and/or challenges) as something which might make me a better individual.

Sometimes it can be overwhelming - so many opportunities and possibilities - which one is the right one?

At the end of a recent Twilight Zone program a man responded to his accusing and angry son, "I don't have the words, but it doesn't mean I don't have the feelings".

Possibilities - when it comes to relationships, we sometimes take things too personally and become defensive or harbor unhealthy feelings. But the truth is - the Real Possibility is - that the person we are most concerned about is dealing with some harsh issues in their own way. Of course, the same is true for ourselves. We can only do our best, and not allow old and negative feelings, or reinforced past behavior patterns, to dictate what we should or should not do.

The "Possibility" exists that other people are having a bad day, or perhaps they don't know how to properly communicate, or maybe they only know how to lash out, rather than think before they speak. Perhaps my "hurt feelings" are nothing more than the result of another person's not being able to interact and behave in a healthy manner. THESE POSSIBILITIES open new doors, and allow us to make choices on how to go forward.

Like the man from the Twilight Zone quote above... the son felt that his father did not love him, did not approve of him, did not care about him, because the father never spoke his feelings aloud. However, the father was always there for his son, helping to pick up pieces, helping his son make good choices... but the son took the lack of verbally-skilled communications to mean that his father did not care, and did not love him. Hence the father's response:  "I don't have the words, but it doesn't mean I don't have the feelings".

So my wish for all of us is:
  • to embrace the Possibilities in our lives
  • try always to do our best in Recognizing the Possibilities
  • to realize that others may or may not encourage us in our adventure. 
  • to journey in Life, seeing all the Possibilities we can
  • to recognize that we are not "locked in a tower" (as my cards show). Those Towers are largely of our own making.
Do you have any Towers you can Escape in order to better see The Wondrous Possibilities in your Life?

Here my easel card is closed (The fairy loves the light coming from the window of the tower as well as the moon!)

Now the card is open, to view just the sentiment. 
To see my tutorial for how to use parts of an artist's image (digital masking) to create a cohesively themed card, please click here.


The dolphins are a retired Spellbinders die, (popped up) and covered with SNS embossing powder.
The clouds and moon were printed a second time, cut out, and popped up to create the "stop" for the easel. The frolicking dolphins are "flipped" in the bottom panel to create visual interest (notice the moon also faces a different direction). To see how to use the artist's images to create a theme, please visit my tutorial here.
(see? possibilities even reveal themselves in our card art) (giggle) 


A Close Up:


 Fully Opened:


Same image, but colored with more green tones in the ocean and layered on an apricot colored background:


The sand-textured tower is created with Mudd Puddles (it's the first time I used this product and it really is VERY user friendly). The "netting ribbon" was applied by hand stitching through the yellow layer. Shells are adhered with 3D Crystal Lacquer. (I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly this dried in our oh-so-humid environment!)

Size A8 card with identical sentiment:


Products:

  • The Stamping Boutique "Escape the Tower" image (from their Enchantment Line)
  • Computer-generated sentiment
  • Embossing Folder (Cuttlebug 5x7)
  • Spellbinders: Grand Decorative Labels One LF-018, Scalloped Labels One S4-375, Grand Labels One LF-161, Labels One S4-161, Labels Twenty-Five S5-077, Dolphin (retired)
  • Copic Markers
  • Brilliance Inks
  • Adirondack Inks
  • SNS Silver Lighting EP, SNS Mediterranean Star EP
  • Ribbon(fiber?), Shells,
  • Adhesives: Mudd Puddles, 3D Crystal Lacquer, Aileen's Quick Dry, Dimensionals, Stitching

Delightful Challenges I am playing in:

  1. Scribbles Designs Challenges - #19  Sea-Sand-Surf (both cards are sea related) 8/20
  2. Sister Act Card Challenges - #68 Anything Goes 8/6
  3. Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge - #119   Words (use words as part of your card front) 8/7+
  4. Fairy Tale Challenges - #97 Summer-Beach-Sea 8/7? 14?
  5. Creative Corner - #Aug 1 - Something Summer (Beachy theme) 8/7
  6. Craft for the Craic - #7 A Craft Item I Have Never Used Before (Mudd Puddles, the fibrous ribbon which is stitched in place, and 3D Crystal Lacquer) 9/1
  7. A Gem Of A Challenge - #125 Embossing (Yellow card has Mediterranean Star EP, and has yellow dry embossing with two different folders - one on the large panel, and another on the smaller layer behind the image)(Easel card has wet embossed dolphins with Silver Lightning EP). 8/14
  8. Crafting at the Weekend - #4 Anything Goes 8/30
  9. Inkspirational Challenges - #62 Use Markers or Pencils (Copic Markers used in all images on  both cards, and around both sentiments) 8/14
  10. Artistic Inspirations Challenges - #103 Anything Goes 8/10

Thanks for stopping by today!
hugs,

59 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful cards and love the images,colours and embossing,great texture love the netting and shells
Carol x

Jean Bullock said...

That the cards are up to your usual gorgeous standards is a no brainer. What you said in the post was the most beautiful thing of all. Your life, your works and your thoughts inspire me greatly. I admire you so much. I am so blessed to know you.

aussie aNNie said...

De your cards are gorgeous and you are an inspiration to us all and your kindness in your words in your comments are full filling....thanks my friend...you make my day.xxx
.♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

Dr Sonia S V said...

Donna what a beautiful beautiful project. I love your card - so much texture, the sand, the net , the dolphins and I loved reading about "possibilities"
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

jimlynn said...

Both are so beautiful there's just no way I could even choose one. Love the colors you used in these and that image is so darling. Two wonderful, wonderful cards.
Lynn

KT Fit Kitty said...

Two beautiful cards, Donna! Beautiful blog post full of wisdom and inspiration - I wholeheartedly agree! So happy to know things are going well for you, my friend.

April said...

I love this sweet image and your lovely cards! Great job on both! xo

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

Donna...your cards are just stunning. Your use of color and the scenes they create are just awesome! So happy to have you join us this month on the Path of Positivity blog!!! Lynda - DT member

Brenda said...

I love them both, but the coloring on the easel card appeals to me the most, however - I really love the layout of the other card and the netting is perfect!

Carmen said...

This is beautiful! Love all of the embossing and sparkles and such. Remember to enter at Artistic Inspirations :)

maria's knutselplezier said...

Great cards dear Donna I really love the image and the colours , I love the way you created a beautiful world for your sweet seamermin!!!

Greetings
Maria

Sue said...

These are stunning Donna. I love the images and the slight changes in colouring to suit your designs is wonderful. The sentiment is beautiful and your detailing is gorgeous too.
I enjoyed reading your post today, thank you. I can relate to the man in the Twilight Zone as I sometimes find it difficult to put my feelings into words.
hugs Sue xx

SD pooja said...

Loved to read this positive post about possibilities Donna ! Lovely cards I liked the color combo on both of them and the net ,cute little shells look wonderful on them !

SD pooja said...

Loved to read this positive post about possibilities Donna ! Lovely cards I liked the color combo on both of them and the net ,cute little shells look wonderful on them !

Sue said...

Hi Donna,m What a fab post with beautiful cards.

So glad Edith is doing well and even getting out.

Hope you have a lovely day.

Hugs
Sue

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow Donna two stunning cards, love them and so beautiful made.
You did a great job.
Gr Karin

McCrafty's Cards said...

These are both beautiful Donna, I love the gorgeous image and the fabulous sentiment.
Kevin xx

Jane Savage said...

What a glorious inspirational post, Donna! A feast for the soul as well as for the eye! Your cards have a wonderful peaceful feel. As you look to that horizon that you’ve coloured so beautifully you know the world is full of possibilities! All the very best to Edith. xx

cotnob said...

Two gorgeous cards Donna, I love your beautiful image and wonderful sentiment.
Your words regarding Possibilities really struck home with me as my youngest son has Autism and is often misunderstood because of his inability to communicate his feelings.
Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot.
I hope you are well.
Pauline
x

craftieodmae said...

Gorgeous inside and out, love your header on your blog too!!!!

Anne Temple said...

Both of these are stunning! They are similar, yet so different too.

Benzi said...

Donna, I love these cards done in blues and greens. The stop for your easel is a great idea with the moon and clouds. Love the netting and shells. You're being very creative, as usual. Oh, and I love those dolphins, too. What a great scene.

Your post today was good reading. I hope you have a fabulous day.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Two awesome cards Donna, full of feeling. Beautifully written with a gorgeous message. Thanks for the tutorial, which of course is way over my head for now, but will visit again. Your amazing talents are such an inspiration to us all! TFS.

NanaConnie said...

Donna, I love the cards! Amazing how even the same image can look so different depending on design. Love the easel card, but the "yellow" one needs to be submitted to Tuesday Throwdown for their Mellow Yellow challenge this week. Gorgeous sparkle on the easel card and fabulous texture and dimension on the yellow card. :-D

pam said...

hi Donna, love reading your post, made me think of certain issues, going on at present in my life..
thank you..
your cards are beautiful, love the colours..image and design.
hugs pam

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- I am in awe of your two cards- just Gorgeous!!! Your coloring is stunning. I love seeing the two different cards with different color accents. Loving the glimmer and the sentiment as well. Oh- and Thanks for the updates on Edith- keeping her and family in prayers!

Céline said...

really stunning, love the colors
thanks for playing with us at fussy and fancy
hugs
céline

Sue said...

Gorgeous card..thanks for joining us at Sister Act Card Challenge..Sue DT x

Leslie Miller said...

Donna, I became so immersed in your words I almost forgot about your cards, which are beautiful, by the way. Interesting, the subtle difference in the color tone. As always, your details and the care with which you craft astound me. I have some of that ribbon, but in black which I used for Halloween cards. Definitely thinking I need some in this natural color. Wonderful idea to stitch it in place. The shine on the water is so pretty. Everything about both cards is just fabulous! Working with patients everyday as I do has really taught me to keep some of those things you mentioned in mind. Who knows what's going on in a person's life or what made them the way they are? And, as for myself, I keep pulling myself up by my boot straps and looking forward. Have a good day!

Desire Fourie said...

Donna these are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G creations so beautifully coloured ans designed. One can smell and here the sea. You attention to detail is outstanding, and yes the possibilities are endless when it gets to creativity. I will definitely pop over and have a look at your tuts. Its a huge honour having you as our guest designer again at POP.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sari / Granne said...

Gorgeous image and colouring, love those dolphin diecuts. Thank you for joining Artistic Inspirations, good luck.

sandie said...

Stunning colouring and love the sparkle addition of the dolphins, thanks for joining us at ink

MaryH said...

Oh my goodness..such richness of so many things in your post today. The absolutely lovely cards (and I keep promising myself to revisit the tutorials as I must learn how to do some of these marvelously effective techniques). Each card was so pretty with the different color tones you did, and changing up that digi image (something I want to learn how to do!). I especially enjoyed the meditative parts, and such wisdom. What you wrote really resonated so true, because so many people just can't 'voice' what their feelings are. Especially men, as the older guys were taught "Real men don't...etc". I think our younger male generation perhaps might be a little freer in expressing vocally what they feel deeply. I hope all your life changes are moving towards the positive results that are your goal. I wish you the most success with that, and know you'll get 'er done. I admire you for being able to not only see the need and take steps to bring it into being, but for sharing it with your blog friends. It helps & inspires us all, and makes us rethink some things. God Bless, Many Hugs, and I just had to go visit Sue when I saw she has greyhounds! My DD has had 5 adopted rescues, currently 3, and is on a committee that vets prospective new parents. So thanks for that link too. I became her newest follower.

Karen Petitt said...

Absolutely gorgeous creations Donna - love them both! Your colouring skills are fantastic, as always! I hope you are doing okay huni, many apologies for the lack of visits - I am hoping that will change in the next few months. I hope you have a lovely week because you are a lovely lady with a lovely outlook Karen xx

Anonymous said...

Wow... this is fantastic! Your coloring is so perfect and I like how you added the 3-d dolphins. Such beautiful work. Thanks for playing along with us at Inkspirational!
- Shauna

nwilliams6 said...

Beautiful coloring and image Donna. I like them both but I am partial to the Easel. Love how you repeated the image (partially). Lovely work.

Love your comments about possibilities and relationships - very well said and I love how you think. Hugz!

Unknown said...

I love both of your cards, I think the netting is a wonderful addition. Thank you for joining us for this months challenge. Sylvie, Craft for the Craic DT

Nannieflash said...

Fabulous card love the embossed background. Thanks for joining us at PG, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxxxx

Pat said...

I love your mixed media card as well as your easel card (my face kind of card to make). The image is my fave from TSB, and I love how you colored and showcased it on your cards. Awesome work!

Sandy S said...

Beautiful cards....

Thanks for joining us at Scribbles Designs...
Sandy S
(Owner/Designer Scribbles Designs)

crafty-stamper said...

Hi just popping back to say-thank you for joining us at Artistic Inspirations
Carol DT x

Shirley said...

Both cards are beautiful, as always, DE!! I really like the Mud Puddles product too! The ocean details are wonderful and I love the shells and 'netting' too!

cotnob said...

Hi Donna, in answer to your query about my greenhouse - it's 16 feet x 8 feet, quite big for a UK garden but probably not in your part of the world. I grow tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and aubergine, I used to grow other things but these seem to grow the best.
Pauline
x

Planetsusie said...

Hi there De - I do hope you are OK - just thought I would pop over to see what you were up to and I lurve these cards! You have really captured the moonlight over the water, it looks so pretty. As for the little sentiment, that is one of the sweetest I have ever seen. I just love these two to bits!

Hugs to you - take care.

Sue Pxxx

JD/ Jill said...

Wow! What beautiful work you do! So awesome. I love that sentiment! And your post today really spoke to me...thank you so much for sharing.

Sue said...

LOVE your sea scene. The cute dolphins in the water and the addition of the sparkly dolphins are so nice. The sand texture looks awesome. What a fun summer card!

Hugs
Sue

Carol Hurlock said...

Donna these are so pretty. I love the beach theme! Your coloring is perfect and reflects the beauty of the theme.
Bear Hugs,
Carol

sallysbitz2 said...

Two lovely cards. I do like to see how each card looks different when using the same image x

hugs sally x
sallysbitz2.blogspot.co.uk

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Wow Donna, Gorgeous design, beautiful words, fantastic post. I hope you are doing well, hugs, Shirleyx

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Hi DE Hoping you are well and doing swell.
Beautiful scene, just love mermaids, beautifully colored and awesome design. Loving the reflection, so pretty. Sorry I have MIA, I broke my foot when I came back from my vacation. Did not know for nine days. I am not on the computer for long length of time. Using the IPad and smartphone to communicate.
Hugs
Berni

Shirley said...

Your colouring in Donna is always amazing and these two makes are stunners. The quotes blend perfectly.

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog whilst I have been away.

Hubby wrote me a programme for the hover over the thumbnails thingy and I am not sure it works on blogger. I am on wordpress.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Bianca said...

What a super lovely summer project! Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge! xx Bianca

Lisa said...

Wow, what a beautiful post and beautiful cards!! Both of your cards are absolutely gorgeous!! I love the image!! They are colored so beautifully!! The details and designs are fabulous!!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!! I'm happy to be your newest follower!!

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

America said...

Terrific Color Contrasts, combos and shading with your gorgeous coloring work for this fabulous image. Love the textures and detailing with embellishments. Inspiring.

UTs Hobby Time said...

Both the cards are stunning Donna. Love the coloring, net, sand, well pretty much everything.

JD/ Jill said...

I know I commented on these two fabulous cards before...but they are sure worth a second look...so nicely done.
I wanted to thank you for the nice comments on my blog,
and let you know I left a comment on your craft room link. Really, Realy like your craft room.

verybellemakes said...

Lovely image, beautifully coloured! Thanks for joining the Crafting At The Weekend challenge, hope to see you again soon.

Victoria DT

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Hi Donna! Wow! Your cards are gorgeous- love your coloring! The netting, shells, and sand are such fun details to bring these cards to life! Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hello! Lee Ann :)