My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Friday, November 30, 2012

Velvet Glitter Butterflies

Hi! It's the holiday season, so in my usual "backward" way of doing things, I opted to do butterflies - something suited for Spring Time, not Winter -- unless, of course, you live Down Under --

 I'll just pretend I'm making this card for those living Down Under then...

Yes, it is - sparkly - 
- glittery - 
the glitter-i-est EVER!
(see also Sparkly Pink Butterflies using the same technique, here)



How to best show the card -  in the bright light to show the colors?



or in the dark to show the glitter-i-ness?



or just capture the sparkle to the best of my ability?



it is one of the sparkliest cards I've ever made! Wanna know how to make one of these super-easy cards? This project is a combination of two techniques found on the




  • Cover White cardstock with Super Adhesive Sheets (or any ultra sticky double-stick tapes)
  • Cut the white panel to the size/shape desired.
  • Pull off the protective top sheet of the sticky paper and apply a little Cloud Nine Velvet Glitter.
  • Rub glitter into Adhesive Sheet, tap off excess.
  • Burnish remaining glitter, to bring out the sparkle.
  • Apply any outline style sticker on top of the Velvet Glitter.
  • Press firmly so sticker is firmly adhered.
  • Use regular markers, watercolor pencils or watercolor crayons to color.
  • (I used a Dove Blender pen and pulled the color directly off the crayons and blended on top of the glitter, within the lines of the stickers. The middle of the butterfly has some "smudged" pink just above and below the body to add "warmth" to the blues and greens.
  • That's all there is to it!


  • The flourish is inked with VersaMark and heat embossed with gorgeous Moss Star EP. I layered a bit of the flourish with SNS Dimensional Glue and coated it with that stunning Priceless Peacock color glitter. Some of the flower layers have the Moss Star EP, too.
  • The brads (flower centers) were heated and dipped into Moss Star EP where it melted to coordinate with the rest of the card.
Close up of the flowers and brads:

Don'tcha love the shape of the card and the cool butterfly sticker? I had forgotten they were in my supplies -
and the watercolor crayons were whining to be used - it had been too long.

Shading on the butterfly - and notice the dimension of the sticker itself - since it is on top of the glitter:



And the best part?
It takes hardly ANY Velvet Glitter to achieve this look.
A very economical way of creating a sparkling card!
And easy, too.
Did I already say EASY?

EASY EASY EASY EASY






Thanks VERY much for stopping by. 


The products used in this project are listed below.


I also submitted this card in several fun challenges which are listed below below the card ingredients.






SNS Moss Star embossing powder EP430
SNS Priceless Peacock G1015
SNS Cloud Nine Velvet Glitter (microfine) GM2000
SNS Super Adhesive Sheets SAS02 (double sided)
SNS Dimensional Glue #539
SNS Brushable Glue #540
SNS Double Sided Tear-ific Tape SAT01
Dove Blender Pen
VersaMark Ink
Embossing Folder (CC Walrus and Carpenter)
SB Grand Nestabilities Labels Four
SB Rose Creations Dies
SB Carnation Creations Dies
CL Tropical Flourish Die
Lyra Aquacolor Crayons
Class A Peel Stickers (any stickers having an outline, open interior)
Cardstock: Black, Celery, Turquoise, White

FUN CHALLENGES this card is submitted to:

ATC's and Cards with Attitude - Challenge #28 Anything Goes
Card Makin' Mamas - Use silver or Gold (butterfly is silver)
Emergency Crafters Challenge - Anything Goes
Fun With Shapes and More - Challenge #122 Nothing for Christmas
Hot Shot Craft - Challenge #13 Butterflies
Joyful Stamper Inspire-Me-Fridays - #87 Anything Goes
Pause Dream Engjoy Challenges - #48 forgotten stash (stickers, Dove blender, Grand dies)
Peachy Keen Stamps - Challenge #45 - Shape it Up (shaped card)
The Stamp Man UK - Emboss It (flower petals, brads, flourish are heat embossed, layers are dry embossed)
Stampin' for the Weekend Challenge - #22 Use Texture (glitter bkgrnd, dry embossed layers, raised sticker, heat embossed flourish, brads and flowers)



Stamping Hugs,



39 comments:

Basslady said...

what a masterpiece of a card!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Like all things Butterfly. Bee-utiful creation. Used some adhesive on a card I made at a Stampin' Up Inspiration Night this past wk where we stamped some snowflakes, put the adhesive sheet over the snowflakes & then used Dazzling Diamonds and not posted to my blog yet. Thanks for entering Pause Dream Enjoy Forgotten Stash challenge.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"
PDE DT

Linda said...

Donna this is absolutely stunning!. The colors are beautiful and all the texture. You have created layers of enchanment. I really love the glitterey sky your butterfly has taken flight on with the color around the border. I am going to have to try the velvet glitter.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Did someone just say GORGEOUS?!! Oh yeah - I did!! Just stunning Donna, I love the subtle coloring of the butterfly and all the bling and sparkle that you added to the embellies! I'm in awe!

Shona Erlenborn said...

Did someone just say GORGEOUS? Oh yeah - I did. This is stunning Donna. I love the subtle water colors of the butterfly, with all the coordinating sparkly bling on all your embellies! I am in awe!

Sharon Field said...

Such a beautiful card De!! Love the shimmer and glimmer, pretty butterfly too!
Hugs,
Sharon

Pat said...

Looks beautiful. I love sparkly cards. The flowers are one thing I want to have time to play with. Yours look great.

creativearts said...

De, this is absolutely stunnig, gorgeous, beautiful, etc.!! Butterflies are the snowflakes of winter and can be used anytime of the year! I love how you did the glittery swirl also. I'm going to have to get out the glitter and play with it some more. You really know how to inspire us!

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

WOW Donna ! Stunning creation - Love it ! Great color combination and I always love glitter. You've inspired me to get some of stickers out! Such a beautiful design and it's wonderful to see a butterfly to remind us of warm weather ! Have a fabulous weekend, Shirleyx

Houses Built of Cards said...

Gorgeous card! Thanks for joining us this week at Peachy Keen!!!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Brenda said...

You know I want this in my mailbox! Drop dead gorgeous!!! In the light - it looks more like a before and after picture ;)
LOVE LOVE LOVE it

Keri Brown said...

i am at a loss for words... this card is stunning... fabulous... perfect... amazing... WOW!!! Where did you find the outline stickers? I can't find them ANYWHERE. I have looked and nothing... This is gorgeous... My address is in the database... I'll look for this one in my mailbox soon.... ;) Seriously though... Thanks for sharing this beauty!!!

Our Sparkle Adventure said...

OMG!!! That is the most beautiful card!!! I love everything about it....just breath taking!

Donna Maligno said...

My mouth is hanging open and it's good that I can type this comment instead of speaking. Love it! Love it!

Donna Maligno said...

My mouth is hanging open and it's good that I can type this comment instead of speaking. Love it! Love it!

NanaConnie said...

I'm stunned by the beauty, Donna! It looks so complicated and fussy, but if you say it's easy, then I believe you. Obviously, I need to do a shopping trip for some of that fabulous valvet glitter. Wow, wow, WOW! I also want to track down some of those stickers.

Anne Temple said...

WOW, this is stunning! I love the color combo you used. (And it's nice to see something other than a Christmas card this time of year.)

Sarah said...

Beautiful! I love the sparkle but I really like the shape of the card and all the colored labels and how they are all dry embossed, beautiful. Thank you for entering it at Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges.
~Sarah PDE DT

Shannon White said...

Wowie Miss Donna! This looks Amazing in any light! lol Soo Gorgeous and sparkly!! Love your Beautiful Butterfly and the lovely embossed layers too! Just Wonderful my friend! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Debi said...

Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. I might have some butterflies in my stash. Thanks for the inspiration.

Abfabdesigns said...

Wow wow wow how I love bling u have done bling so well
Xxx hugs xxx

April said...

Oh, Donna! This is a beautiful card! I just love all the sparkle and the colors!

Shelly Schmidt said...

SO pretty- love all of the shimmer- and the pretty colors you used!

Alexa said...

Wow - it certainly does sparkle!

Lorie said...

Stunning! Thanks for joining us for the Peachy Keen Challenge this week!

PetraB said...

wow, what a sparkle ... your butterfly is stunning

Sue from Oregon said...

Oh Donna-this is gorgeous...you should see me and glitter...I look like a fairy when I try to use it...I am a glitter mess!

Penny said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us at CMM

Anonymous said...

Woooow, I love all that blingbling!!!!
So great!!!

Thanks for joining us at shapes and more.

Hugs Ivi

Maria Matter said...

Stunning!!!
Thank you so much for sharing @ Inspire Me Friday!!

Cristina said...

great project, I love everything about it.

Thanks for joining the Peachy keen stamps Challenge

hugs

Cristina

PKS Design team
http://www.craftingwithcristina.com
http://www.peachykeenstamps.com

Dawn said...

Wow! Just stunning!! I could just keep staring at it. I really love the colours on this one. Everything on it is soooooooo gorgeous. I'm going to have to give this a try :)

Hugs, Dawn

Marjie Kemper said...

Stunning is right! Very hard to photograph but you did a great job of showing this gorgeous card.

MyCraftWorld said...

wow wow wow Donna I LOVE this card!!
The colours, the layout and all the sparkle!! Fantastic! My kind of card!
Thank you for joining us at Emergency Crafters.
~Lucy x

Julie Z said...

Oooooh I love this color combo too (I saw the pastel one first). Not sure which I like better!! I do love the teal/green color combo though.
Just as gorgeous as the other version Donna!!

Connie said...

This is gorgeous! You have so much talent . . . I love handmade crafts and cards.
Come over and visit my blog and enter my Give-Away, I'm celebrating my first year as a blogger.
Connie :)

craftymum said...

a super card. Thank you fro joining us at HSC for our butterfly challenge

Hugs sarah x

craftymum said...

a super card. Thank you fro joining us at HSC for our butterfly challenge

Hugs sarah x

Gina H said...

Wow! Gorgeous card!!!! I love the colors! Beautiful!