My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Creativity with Mother Nature

Hi! I have missed posting to my blog. Thank you, my cyber friends, for your caring e-mails. For those who may be unaware, Paper Crafting and anything involving intricate use of my hands has not been in The Plans for 2012 due to health reasons. But I've enjoyed visiting your blogs as often as possible, and being inspired every day by your tremendous talent. Maybe soon some of these medical conditions will lapse back into remission, and I may rejoin you in crafting endeavors.

In the meantime, I hope you will indulge me as I share some photos from my Real Passion (no, they are not X rated photos of my husband LOL). I'm a Dirt Person! Though working diligently in the garden has not been possible this year,  all the container plants are blooming, and the indoor plants are happy.

Have you ever seen a Philodendron bloom? This one did, as have others over the years. Normally, this specie will not bloom until matured to a good 7-10 years. However, I learned a trick four years ago, quite by accident.

Older plants need to be pruned to maintain a full shape, and the cuttings are far too precious to throw away, so I root them directly in the soil with a tree fern post for stability. When the cuttings are taken from mature plants, the cutting is "tricked" into thinking that it is dying. The cutting senses something is wrong, so a flower emerges for the purpose of making berries (seeds), therefore insuring that Life will continue.

The bloom on this particular cutting is long past. The "cutting" is now 3 years old, standing 5'6"tall (1.7 meters). Greeting visitors as they enter the foyer, he proudly stands guard in front of the 10' foot tall ficus tree, which is also regularly pruned. Here is the "cutting" at 3 years old:

Thanks for sharing my little show 'n tell, and for being such great friends, inspiring me, and checking in to see how things are going in my little life.

Always Yours and Lots of Hugs, of course,

15 comments:

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Donna, I'm so happy to see your post :) I love the plant photos and definately agree that creativity is also in nature. Each time I move a plant around my garden, it's designing. Sending positive thoughts for continued healing. Hugs, Shirleyx

Brenda said...

Beautiful plants! Wish I had your green thumb :)

Debi said...

Donna,
How cool to get that bloom! Very interesting post! What type of philodendron is that? Hope you'll be well enough to get your hands busy again soon.

Shona Erlenborn said...

That "cutting" is huge, Donna, Isn't is wonderful how nature works? Thanks for sharing - you certainly are a mother of nature! Hugs

Anne Temple said...

Your green thumb must have some magic in it too! Your plants are amazing and look so very healthy. I grew up in a flower shop and have never seen a philodendron anywhere near that size.

NanaConnie said...

What a great way to get blooms, Donna! I had no idea philodendron ever flowered. Mine never have. Of course, I've never pruned mine, either. So glad you shared it, and your photos. Love the new blog header, too. You're always in my prayers, my friend. :-D

Shirley said...

Great to see you posting and sharing. I love the story on your plant and the bloom. How interesting and fun at the same time. Look at what you created. Taking a break from the hop for a minute to catch up on my own hopping. LOLOL

Kim said...

WOWZA! You have a green thumb for sure. So pretty! xo

creativearts said...

Your plants are so beautiful! I have never seen a philadendron bloom, but you really have a green thumb and it is gorgeous. Glad to see you blogging! Take more pics of your plants and let us see them. Love, E.

April said...

Beautiful flower and plants! I am not good with indoor plants. You have wowed me!

Stampsnob. said...

Wayyyyyy beautiful , looks loved/...Lis

Sandy (Cheesy) said...

Can you say Jolly Green Giant Thumb? LOL You really have a way with plants. I may have to get a "cutting" from you now and then. My problem is that I am only around for 1/2 the year! I hate that cause I love plants inside.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Such a pretty bloom! I don't have a green thumb at all:(

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Wow, this is so beautiful and I love the design of your blog too.

Sharon Field said...

I so miss being able to grow plants in my home!! Between a very destructive and curious kitty and a home which faces the wrong direction I cannot grow anything.. since it's just too dark even next to the windows!! Beautiful plants, I'm so envious!!
HUgs,
Sharon