My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Shape It Up! {Cardz 4 Galz}

Hello! Hope you have been enjoying a great week, and that you are feeling well.

Beginning today at Cardz 4 Galz Challenges 
we have a brand new challenge!


Badges are awarded for the Spotlight Winner and Top Picks.

Challenge #46 is chosen by teamie Maryvonne -and the theme is:  Shaped Cards.  Show us your cards using any and all manner of shapes - just "don't be a SQUARE!" (giggle)
Challenge ends on May 11.

While my shaped card is rather unimaginative,
the fun was in putting it all together,
with lots of whimsy and carefree happiness! 

Often my heart feels that way, even if my body does not.   DOES YOURS? 


***************
The BEAUTY OF NATURE.
While we all THINK we know what "Nature" is, I've discovered it is quite a subjective topic in many ways. What it means to me (living in the countryside of central Florida) and what it means to someone who lives in a high-rise in a large city, would mean different things.

But 

Exploring Nature, 
Enjoying Nature, 
being Enamored with Nature

these bring Beauty to all of us. A child sees the wonder of the sky through a 25th floor apartment window. An invalid seems the beauty of Nature in a floral arrangement someone sent. Looking into darkness one evening, we might all enjoy the cool night's air, listening to the wind and feeling its caress through our hair. Relishing the chirping of birds, the flight of butterflies, the photographs of mountains, the TV documentary of far-away lands, a sea shell on the beach, a pet's loving embrace, pondering the Wonders of the Universe - all these things bring us up close to Nature in a variety of ways.

Today my card is about a child swinging under the sky and amidst the flowers in bloom.

We all have an inner child longing to explore the wonders of the world, 

         the thrill of wind against our faces, 

                   the kiss of Nature and Life upon our cheeks...

JUST LIKE THIS LITTLE GIRL SWINGING HER HEART OUT SO MERRILY!

***************
Colored with Copics, this little sweetie is enjoying the shade of a cloud.

Virginal items from my neglected stash:
  • this adorable Swinging image (won at another challenge years ago),
  • three older unused die sets (SW Petite Peony Cluster, SW Double Pierced Circles set B, PS Twirly Clouds),
  • aqua ribbon from my Great Aunt Agnes's stash,
  • Pink Grosgrain ribbon never been opened after years of just having to have it!




Have you tried the Nuvo Glue Pens?
To me, a glue pen was a glue pen, and I have my favorites and seldom stray.
However, I acquired one of each of the 3 sizes of Nuvo Glue Pens.

In a single word: GRATEFUL

All the Glitter on these elements was adhered with the Jumbo Nuvo Glue Pen.
I can rub hard with my thumb, and the glitter does not come off. Even if I use a finger nail to scratch it off, only a few of the glitter particles came off.


Very sticky in both the wet state and tacky state for a host of different mediums. There is no odor, and it goes on slightly bluish so I could see exactly where it was needed, and when it was dry enough for mica flakes and such. And for adhering the glitter? I was surprised that the glitter stayed on even after being rubbed rather roughly.

Available in three sizes, they store conveniently, and are very easy to hold and use. There are little ball bearings (or the like) inside the pen barrels so mixing the glue is easy in order to keep the sticky formula at its best.

The flowers below were painted with NUVO Crystal Drops, and the centers are also NUVO Crystal Drops. I painted the petals. They have a slightly pearly luster just like real flower petals:


finished card:

It is always a pleasure seeing your artful treasures,
so please come play with us at
Cardz 4 Galz.

Products:

Challenges I'd like to play in please:
  1. Crafty Creations Challenges #340 Anything Goes  5/10 
  2. Crafty Gals Corner  #120 Anything Goes 5/2
  3. Creative Moments Challenges  #116 Spring Has SprungTheme 5/2
  4. Deep Ocean Challenge #153 Spring Time 5/1
  5. Get Creative Challenges #57 Use Flowers and Lace  5/1
  6. The Path of Positivity Challenge #48 The BEAUTY OF NATURE (blurb written toward the top of the blog post) 5/1
  7. Try Stampin' On Tuesday #319 - Make it Round 5/10 (sep post)
  8. Use Your Stuff #261 Use Circles 4/30
  9. World Wide Open #21 Anything Goes from a DT 5/15
  10. {Pin}spirational Challenges #189 Be inspired by the photo (colors and joy): 5/10


Stamping Hugs,

35 comments:

Diane said...

Beautifully created Donna, what an adorable image and colored so gorgeous as well! Can you believe as a child I could never swing, it made me extremely dizzy! The flowers you have created are beautiful with the Nuvo on them, gives a whole other dimension! Anywho, gorgeous card!!

aussie aNNie said...

Delightful card and love the image and flowers, amazing design as always De.xx ♥[aNNie]

KraftyKoolKat said...

So beautiful sweetie. Such lovely adornments and colours.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Linda Simpson said...

Hi Donna, this is stunning! I love the beautiful image and gorgeous design. Loving the glitter too.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Sue said...

Hi Donna, Lovely card.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

hope you have a lovely day. Sue

missgailly said...

STUNNING! Love the image and the pink and turquoise combo. Thanks for playing along at Use Your Stuff - Gail

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, this is amazing, Donna!! Wow!! This makes me happy!! She's so sweet!! You've colored her perfectly!! I love the layers and the round easel design!! The details you added are perfect!! The sparkle is fabulous!! What a gorgeous card this is, my friend!! It truly is a happy card!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

cotnob said...

This is beautiful Donna, such a pretty image and lovely colours - your cards are always so beautifully crafted.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Beebeebabs said...

Wow such a beautiful card and image - love the glittery background and choice of die - great job as always my friend!!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

This is absolutely stunning. Not only is it a wonderful shaped card with such a cute little image on it but you decorated it so well and made it into an easel card too. I love it.

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

I love the layering of dies, Donna, and your colors are so beautiful. The way you layered the pink flowers on their own white leaves and then on the green quilled leaves is so pretty. You always have a great way of not only coloring in your images but also of using your dies in ways I would never think of using them. I get so much inspiration from seeing your cards.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Donna, what a gorgeous card, and it's always a joy to see how you've used some virginal items. I love the antique ribbons and the beautiful floral arrangement...those little flowers and leaves are darling all a sparkle. And what a beautiful easel card for this sweetly colored gal! She is darling! As always, dear friend, it's stunning and beyond! Hugs and love! xoxo

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at PINspirational, good luck!!! Amy DT

Chris said...

This made me smile Donna, such a lovely joyful image...she hasn't a care in the world...just as childhood should be! Beautiful design and colours too!
Chris
x

Unknown said...

What a FUN card to wake up to! Love the shape and all of that glittery goodness. Your image is fantastic. I can remember those days as a child, so much FUN! Such a happy, fun filled card! Well done!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to write: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee But I felt your card needed more than just that LOL

Babs said...

What a beautiful girly designed card Donner and such lovely colours perfectly painted. Hope you have a fab weekend..

Hugs Babs x

NanaConnie said...

WOW, Donna, what a fantastic easel card! So feminine and sparkly, which I love, of course. Beautiful coloring and I adore the different die cuts you used for each of the layers and for the flower embellies. This is a marvelous card, my friend!

Leslie Miller said...

Wheeeeeee! I have an inner child who comes out a lot and she loves to swing when given the chance. Pretty, pretty! Swingin' from a cloud. How fun this card is! Gosh, I read of all your not yet used supplies and I'm impressed. Isn't it fun and satisfying? I have not tried the Nuvo glue pens, but if you say so... I might have to stock up. We're heading to The Great Outdoors in the sunshine today. You know what good friends Nature and I are. Have a good day, Donna!

Chris C said...

Beautiful and amazing details on your card. Thanks for joining us at Use Your Stuff.

Conniecrafter said...

She is really enjoying the great outdoors isn't she, we all think of nature in different ways that's for sure, and isn't it wonderful that we can bring a touch of it inside to enjoy too! Love the dies you used for your framing, and such lovely ribbon and lace on the inside!
I have yet to try the glue pens but you sure got me thinking I need to give them a try, I love that the glitter does not come off :)

Sue said...

My first thought when I opened up this card on your blog is how carefree this young girl looks and so happy. Gorgeous card, love the dies you used and the colors are so very pretty too, Donna. And of course your touches of sparkle always make your cards special.

Hugs
Sue

crafty-stamper said...

WOW stunning easel card Donna love the happy image and fabulous sparkle-great colour combination and love the beautiful dies and ruffled ribbon trim
Carol x

alice k. said...

What an imaginative way to use a circle. This is such a delightful card! Thank you for joining the Use Your Stuff-challenge.

Stampsnob. said...

Could not be cuter. She is having too much fun ...Lis

The Crafty Critter said...

You have convinced me that I need to try making a round easel card of my own! I just love how this turned out! Beautiful coloring and embellishments! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Creations Challenges.
-Miranda DT
TheCraftyCritter.com

Lori Kobular said...

Love this fun card with that adorable swinging girl! Such a happy site! Who doesn't love to be on a swing! The dies you used are perfect for your beautiful card!

Paulettebowls said...

So pretty!

Pamellia said...

Hello my dear friend, long time no see! I am so excited to have a few minutes to drop in and visit your wonderful blog!! This card is just spectacular, I'm not even sure where to begin!! I've never taken the time to create an easel card, but you sure do temp me with your unique and brilliant design here today!! So many wonderful and fancy die cut layers, and your colour palette is straight from the garden, how I love the cheeriness of it all! What a glorious image, she is really enjoying the warm weather! So much glitter, LOVE IT! Sounds like the new glue is a real joy to work with! Hands down, my favourite easel card ever! Amazing creation my friend!!

They have ripped down and torn apart so many areas around the lake now. All of the flower gardens and decorative bushes are gone. So sad. So I have decided to build my own garden by redesigning my entire patio! Construction starts in a couple of weeks and I am so excited!! hugs to you :)

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

Wow amazing design and amazing work as always. Love this. Nice work.
Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge


Simply Sara Stampin' said...

Oh my, Donna! What a detailed and creative card! Love all the layers, designs and your coloring! Thanks for sharing with us at Try Stampin' or Not on Tuesday.
Sara H.

Nancy said...

Hi there, Donna! It's me again! Just wanted to pop in and congratulate you for your win at Pammie's Inky Pinkies! :o)

Desire Fourie said...

This is just pure joy Donna. One gets a warm fuzzy happy carefree feeling looking at this wonderful creation.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Pia S said...

I love circle shaped cards and I don't understand why we don't make them more often. Myself included. There are plenty of layers and texture here, probably not a light weight card, but one carefully designed with plenty of details. It's gorgeous.

Karen Dunbrook said...

such a precious card...amazing! details!
xx Karen