February is American Heart Month, a time dedicated to raising awareness about congenital and acquired heart disease. Many patients do not realize they have heart disease, even those who are born with defects called congenital heart disease. The Heart Center at Nationwide Children’s Hospital cares for many patients with various forms of heart disease. American Heart Month is a great time to raise awareness, to promote healthy habits AND ESPECIALLY, to lift the spirits of these patients who are hospitalized and need major heart surgery or are having a particularly tough time.For information about “Congenital heart disease (CHD) please see Christina's Blog.
We are asking for your help PLEASE.
Christina Hor is offering some wonderful prizes!
Each card you make will bring heartwarming encouragement to those who are affected by heart disease –
both patients and families.
Heart Month, but will positively impact that child’s life by letting them know that someone cares deeply about what is happening to them.
Prizes are being offered for making the cards!
Prize Package #2 (U.S. participants only) – to two random winners, a box of brand new craft goodies, each valued at $25.
Prize Package #3 (International participants only) - to two random winners, a $25 gift certificate to shop at Simon Says Stamp.
Platinum package (U.S. and International): to ONE participant with the 30+ donated cards, a $50 gift certificate to Simon Says Stamps.
- Card drive runs from 1/16/17 to 2/14/17.
- Card Types: handmade cheerful “heart” theme (non-Valentine’s Day) cards such as Thinking of You, Hello, or Just Because cards for children between ages of 1 to 19. As long there are hearts on the cards, it counts.
- Greetings (Sentiments) on your card-front is optional. But if you do include one, here are some suggestions: sending hugs, sending smiles, thinking of you, wishing you a beautiful day, or hello. NO Valentine’s Day greetings please.
- Inside of cards: Please do not stamp or write inside the card. Keep it completely blank so hospital staff may write a personal message to each patient. If using a dark colored card base, please adhere a white or light colored piece of cardstock to the inside of card to make it easier for patients to read the hand-written message.
- Card size: A2 size card (finished 4.25”x5.5”).
- Back of cards: This is completely optional. You may include a label “handmade by + your name + Hug a Heart Card Drive 2017” to the back of your card. It can be a hand-written, stamped or small computer printout label.
- Envelopes: Please include an envelope for each card. Do NOT seal envelopes.
- PLEASE do NOT use loose glitter, as young children will get this in their eyes.
- Please use embellishments minimally, if at all, and avoid using anything unsafe for very young children.
- Please package your cards in a box or padded envelope to ensure they arrive undamaged.
- Mail your box/package to: Christina Hor, P.O. Box 517, Dublin, Ohio 43017
- Optional – if you would like to help spread the words about Hug a Heart card drive, please use hashtag #hugaheartcarddrive when sharing your project on social media.
- Questions and more clarification about the card drive? Please don’t hesitate to contact Christina directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
or share it on social media
On February 1, we will have a reminder blog hop with prizes!