My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Snowflakes - Christmas at Sweet Stampin'

Waving hello to all my blogging friends, and wishing you all the best!
We had a tornado hop-scotch across the county. Fortunately, we only have a downed tree, but our experimental tomatoes were also tossed around.
Not sure if they will survive, or if the trauma was too much for them.
I'll let you know!

In the meantime...

I've got a CAS Christmas card today.


Today begins a new challenge at 
Christmas at Sweet Stampin'!



My brilliant teammates have fantastic samples to share! We hope to see your imaginative artwork each month in our "Anything Goes Christmas" Challenges. The challenge is for ANY Christmas theme craft project. May's Challenge is open until June 8 and has an optional challenge is snowflakes.


Today's card uses a background from my stash - it's a magenta colored piece of mirror cardstock that had some imperfections in it. Pearlescent acrylic paints were smooshed on it to create interesting "crystals".


When distressing the dry embossed panel, I dropped the finger dauber twice onto the stamped sentiment, so I tried distressing the entire sentiment to cover up my blunder. That made it worse, of course, so I used a glue pen and covered with glitter. Ahhh, glitter is a girl's best friend. Or shall I say, "Glitter is a Fumble Finger's BFF." (giggle)

Finished card:


Products Used: Beccy Muir sentiment "Milton Chasing Snowflakes", Tutti Snowflake Corner, Spellbinders Curved Borders One, Monarch Purple VersaFine Clair ink, Craftwell Delicate Dots EF.

Challenges I'd like to play in please:

  1. Merry Little Christmas Challenge #10 Anything Christmas Goes 6/1 (sep post)
  2. Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge #49 Anything Christmas Goes 5/18 (sep post)
  3. World Wide Open DT Challenge #4 AG DT 5/15 
  4. Corrosive Challenges #5 Anything Goes 6/3
  5. Beccy's Challenges (May) AG with Beccy Muir image (sentiment is from "Milton Chasing Snowflakes" set) 6/1
  6. Crafty Creations #390 Anything Goes 5/21
  7. Creative Moments #168 Anything Goes 5/22
  8. Scrapy Land #113 AG SL die (Tutti, SB) 5/15
Stamping hugs,

34 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is a stunning card I love it. That snowflake die is gorgeous. Have a great day today. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Chris said...

This is a fabulous card Donna, love the design and that gorgeous smooshed background panel, the colours are amazing...great 'save' with the glitter too, and a brilliant sentiment.
Glad the tornado didn't give you too much trouble...hope your tomatoes survive!
xxx

Lisa said...

It's so stunning, Donna!! I love the mirror paper you used!! You covered up the booboo perfectly!! It's so gorgeous!! I'm glad the tornado didn't do much damage but I sincerely hope your tomatoes make it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Bunny said...

Fabulous card. Love the colors and thank goodness for glitter, eh?

I love your new graphics for the blog. So pretty.

Sorry to hear about the weather troubles. I hope you don't lose your tomatoes. I'm sorry you lost a tree. [Bunny]

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's beautiful Donna.
Gr Karin

KraftyKoolKat said...

I am glad you weathered the storm De to make this gorgeous creation. Keep safe sweetie.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

sarascloset said...

Donna, your post really made me giggle--no, not about the tornado, but everything else. I'm so happy you and your home are alright! That must have been scary!

Your card is gorgeous and you salvaged that metallic card with such grace and beauty! And the same for your fumbled sentiment. I would never have guessed! A wonderful Christmas card--I love the non-traditional colors! Hugs!

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous, I am loving the metallic card and gorgeous design.
Hugs
Linda xxx

cuilliesocks said...

What a stunning card Donna, gorgeous colours and a beautiful design.
I love your new blog header, it's just gorgeous, I love china tea sets, Kate xx

Monica C. said...

A beautiful card, Donna. I love that glitter around the sentiment. Sometimes our blunder fix ups seem to add that something to our project that just makes it pop.
Hugs Monica

brenda said...

Such striking colours and design Donna, the snowflake show up so well on the deep colours/ Hope things settle from the storm, we have torrential rain for several days.

B x

Beebeebabs said...

Wow your card is absolutely beautiful - another great creation thanks for sharing!!!

Sue said...

Hi Donna, Loving the card and the text. Hope I am one of your Flakes:)

Hope you are having a good week. Sue

*Vicki* said...

I'm happy that you didn't receive severe lasting damage my friend! Hope others there are doing OK! How clever is the idea to add some acrylic paint over the metallic cardstock! I never thought of it and I can see the results look very cool!! Absolutely love that sentiment and a great way to get a Christmas card ready to go!! :) Sending HUGS

crafty-stamper said...

Glad to hear you are safe and hope your tomatoes recover-Beautiful card Donna and love the glittered sentiment we would never have known if you hadn't said-happy save
Carol x

Mac Mable said...

I so chuckled at your blog post Donna x Fabulous and stunning card and love how you kept going and loving the glitter! x. Your card is unique and so very eye catching and absolutely beautiful...I love it x.

Mac Mable said...

PS....hope your tomatoes survive and so glad that you are safe x

Donna said...

Gorgeous card Donna! I like how you jazzed up the mirrored card stock and the glitter was genius, I will be using that idea! Glad you did not get hit worse by the tornado. Hugs, Donna

Lori Kobular said...

Donna ~ I admire how you change the header picture on your blog so often! I love he teacup and flowers! Your card is exquisite! I love that paper, OMG it is so gorgeous! The sentiment and the snowflakes are beautiful too! You did an awesome job on this card and no one would have known you made a mistake! Glitter is not my BFF! It gets all over everything instead of the paper! Have a great day! Big Hugs!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful card and great colors. And, I think that blunder turned into a "happy accident" indeed!

CherylQuilts said...

Donna, I am so glad you and Jack didn't suffer severe damage. Tornados are scary. I absolutely LOVE your blob banner. I love the pink flowers and especially love that teacup! I'm a tea lover from way back! Anyway, your Christmas card is gorgeous, and I think there are only "happy" mistakes that turn out beautifully. Love that snowflake die. And what a giggle for the sentiment! Sweet like you! Hugs and love! xoxo

Leslie Miller said...

That background is fantastic and I'm looking at your sentiment and thinking how pretty it is. Sometimes those boo boos produce the best results! Donna, I'm sorry you lost even one tree, and really too bad about the tomatoes. I've been seeing the weather on the news and it just looks terrible over that way.

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Donna, I love your background and the pretty snowflake die cut - a fabulous card.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Dawn Phillips said...

I love the unusual background hun. It's a very striking card. Love Dawn x

Shona Erlenborn said...

I sure hope I'm one of your "flakes"? This is so fun! What a totally different look for a Christmas card. Love the background and the swirling snowflake die cut is awesome!

Conniecrafter said...

so pretty, before reading I thought you did that technique on the sentiment to have it stand out more, and it does just that :) Love the strip behind your die cut, such pretty swirls of color to have your snowflakes against!

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation Donna, love that background! I for sure don't miss tornadoes, hope your tomatoes survive. Thank you for sharing with us over at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

wannabcre8tive said...

This is a beautiful card. I love the mirror cardstock and how you did the smooshing with the pearlescent acrylic paints. It looks beautiful.

Donna Phelan said...

hahahaha so aren't mine....and myself and I wouldn't have it any other way! Love this pretty Christmas card! See? Glitter does make everything better lol Hope your tomatoes survive, glad you are OK, scary stuff! xo~

Beccy said...

What a creative way to fix your fumble Donna... will have to remember that one! I love that marble-look paper, it's just fabulous and contrasts perfectly with the beautiful snowflake die cut. Awesome card design.
Cheers,
Beccy

tiffany said...

Such a stunning card, love the glitter! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land! =) Tiffany

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Such a beautiful card Donna. Love the hues of purple and that gorgeous snowflake die. So so pretty. Clever trick to cover up the blooper. Beautifully done hun. Hugs, Wends xoxo

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

Beautiful Christmas card! Love the distressed panel...turned out gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at MLCCB
Tina dt

The Red Mullet Band said...

Such a cute card!!!
I love it!
Thanks for joining us at Corrosive Challenge blog.
Ana Isabel DT Coordinator.