My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Blog Hop! Bella Grown Up and Grace The Dancing - fairies {Sparkle N Sprinkle}

Hello, Stamping Friends!

Today is the Sparkle N Sprinkle blog hop, revealing new stamp sets.

Also today, Bella Grown-Up Fairy and Grace the Dancing Fairy are helping me out! I hope you enjoy what they have done for you.

But first, a little business to take care of:

Sparkle N Sprinkle's February New Stamps Blog Hop
The stamps are 20% off until the 20th of the month. A blog hop winner will be awarded a $20 gift certificate to the on line store, good for any merchandise. Winner is chosen from the comments left on the designers' blogs, so hop to each blog and leave a comment. Winner will be announced on the 20th on both the SNS Facebook page and the SNS blog.

The Blog Hop order this month includes our new designers:
  
Lisa
Irit
Diane
Chris
Donna
Sabrina
Jess
Eret
Anne
Shona


We are pleased to bring you:

Pretty Blooms 
Rubber Stamp Set
Digital Set including colored images


Happiness Greetings
for sentiments on your card front or inside.
Rubber Stamp Set
Digital Set  including colored images



Snowman with a Heart Digital Stamp set  including colored images



Whispers of Comfort - Hydrangea
Rubber Stamp set
Digital set  including colored images



Bonnet Birdie - Chirp!
Rubber Stamp Set
Digital Set  including colored images



Balloon Bunch 
Rubber Stamp set
Digital set  including colored images



Win a gift card to the SNS store by playing in our monthly ANYTHING GOES Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenge group on Facebook. The challenge runs from the 1st through the 25th. 

Now for my cards!
(apologies for so many photos)

Today's card shares feature "Grace" the Dancing Fairy and "Bella" Grown-Up Fairy. I've never used an abstract sketchy images before, nor have I used a faceless image. It was far easier than I imagined, and I'm looking forward to playing with some of the other darling fairies in the Fairy Reflections line.

First I die cut butterfly wings from the packaging of the Wings and Things Monarch and Princess Wings die set:



This is my mask for creating the background. I dampened watercolor paper, and put the butterfly mask on the watercolor paper, then spritzed with watered down reinkers. I switched colors, moved the butterfly mask, and spritzed more. I also stamped and heat embossed a few small butterflies from the Swallowtail Butterflies Rubber Stamp Set with Pink Lady Cosmic EP.

After spritzing the background, and letting it dry, I created a white frame:



Next, I adhered the entire frame and background to a dry embossed pearlescent background...



...only to determine that I wanted to heat emboss a sentiment on the background. Not sure if the stamped image would "take" with so many layers under it, I was grateful for the Tim Holtz Stamp Platform, that let me stamp a few times before applying the EP:



The sentiment came out great!



Some Dimensional Glue was applied and Fuchsia Glass Glitter GG16C was applied. It's much easier to use because it doesn't "fly around" from the static in the air. In the crevices of the glass glitter is Diamond Dust which is slightly chunky.
The Verdi's Waves Flourish is "glittered" with Mulberry Star EP427.

Bella Grown-Up fairy is colored with Copics after being stamped with Plum Memento ink.




The Fairy Reflections line includes stamps and dies. The dies are two-piece sets so the stamp can be cut out, or both dies can be used together for a detailed silhouette die cut.




Grace the Dancing Fairy includes assorted new products from the SNS:






After heat setting with Silver Detail Opaque embossing powder,
 Grace was colored with Tombow markers.
I lightly applied color,
and used a damp brush to move the color around.

This technique would work well with any color intensity or color combination.

I will use watercolor paper next time, though.

The Silhouette fairy is heat set with Morning Glory embossing powder (also glittery).





The other die cuts were heat set with Wisteria Opaque embossing powder. It has a bit of iridescence to it.



and a sentiment with Silver Detail Opaque EP to match the fairy:







Tonic's Handmade Embossed Paper - English Lace has an unexpected quality.
On one side, is a matte cottony paper embossed with daisies. Colors from any medium can be added to this side.

The "right" side has a lovely polished finish with what looks like real stitching in lace!




Before adhering the pretty white die cut to the pink base, I wanted to add a little Bubblegum glitter.






Thanks for popping by. For more design inspiration, please hop on over to the very talented Sabrina!


Products Used in Grace Dancing Fairy:


Products Used in Bella Grown Up Fairy:

Challenges I'd like to play in please:


  1. International Art and Soul #26 TEXTURE 2/19 (Bella Card)
  2. Pile It On Challenge #139 3D Embellishments 3/4 (Bella Card)
  3. The Fairy and the Unicorn Challenge (Feb) Anything Goes Fantasy 3/3



Always Stamping Hugs,
















43 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, Donna, these are both so stunning!! Wow!! I love the artistic designs of both!! Bella and Grade are beautiful!! I love how you've showcased them!! The backgrounds and the sparkle are fabulous!! Gorgeous cards, my friend!! I love, love them!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Anne Temple said...

Both of these are gorgeous! I love the butterfly background you created too.

Jessica K said...

Donna - you never cease to amaze me! Gorgeous cards, gorgeous photos and fantastic instruction :) Love it!

~ Kendra ~ said...

Both are stunning!! Lovely job!!

Puppy Kisses and Paper Dreams said...

Amazing! I love both of these - and thank you for all the step-by-step instructions and photos. Very helpful :) I love how you incorporated these sentiments into your creations, and they are perfect. Love all the pinks too. Fabulous job, as always!

Belinda said...

Amazing as always!!! Beautiful designs on both cards Donna, love the butterfly background.

Sue said...

Hi Donna, Really pretty card.

Hope you have a nice day. Sue

KarinsArtScrap said...

these are sweet and beautiful cards Donna
Gr Karin

brenda said...

A great post Donna packed with so much inspiration and I can see you had some lovely inky fun as well, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful artwork.

B x

Eret said...

Donna, your cards are gorgeous. Love those darling Fairies and the background you created for them. Your butterfly backgrounds are amazing!

Shirley said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous background with those butterflies Donna those inky hands are definitely worth it. Not really a fairy person myself but your artwork with them are always so inspirational that I am tempted to use a fairy on a piece of my work. We'll see!!! lol.


Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Irit Shalom Designs said...

Stunning cards for the blog hop! Love that you managed to use so many different sets and products and the are still not messy, but so pretty.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Oh I wish I had been a fly on the wall Donna while you were creating these! I can hear you talking throughout the process and squealing with delight at each step! So many fabulous details in these two beauties. Gorgeous colors!

Diane said...

Lots of creative work here to make these beautiful fairy cards and some fabulous products used as well...I might have to 'go shopping'!!!

Donna said...

Amazing cards, absolutely stunning!

Becky said...

Love both stunning cards. The masked background came out great!

Some nice new sets. My favorites are Bonnet Birdie and Pretty Blooms.

newbie85 said...

Donna, both of these cards are stunning! Its amazing all the detail you put into them, but they are both extra beautiful because of it!!!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Both cards are absolutely wonderful and the fairy images are just awesome the way you used them. I love all the shimmer and shine too!

Leslie Miller said...

Holy cow, your background, those cute fairies, all the details -- WOW! Fantastic release, and you know how I love Bugaboo. I have that darling bird in a digi. Thank goodness for digis! Your little Grace is so pretty in the vellum. All the dies, shimmer, sparkle, paper -- so much to love!

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

You always have the prettiest dies on your cards, Donna. Love the lacey feel to these and all the sparkle. What a great idea cutting out the butterfly to mask the background. I need to remember to try this; it came out so pretty.

Lorna said...

All of the new stamp sets are really cute. I especially like the Bonnet Birdie and the Pretty Blossoms.

*Vicki* said...

Hello my friend! :) This is absolutely STUNNING Donna! Love how you've went about creating your background which perfectly makes a lovely and delicate home to nest your sweet little dancers on!! Beautifully done! Sending HUGS

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Donna, all the wonderful work you have put in these lovely creations of yours. Love the way you did the backgrounds in the first card, especially the light shading around the butterflies. The little fairy image is just darling and like how you stamped her in plum ink. Such lovely sparkle on her.
On the second the silver embossing with your light coloring is just so pretty, the pretty layering with the embossing and framing with all that shimmer is just stunning. You do such great tutorials!

lgrayc56 said...

Donna, beautiful cards. My daughter was a dancer growing up and these remind me of those years. I love glitter and like how you glittered the edge of the circle so it showed thru the cutout of the die. All your color choices were perfect.

Janice said...

Amazing cards Donna, so much detail in the design. Great step by step tutorial too, thank you.
Janice x

KraftyKoolKat said...

Really gorgeous Donna, you always put so much hard & talented work into your creations.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful cards - love the cute images and thanks for sharing the tutorial - great job as always and have a great weekend my friend!!!

Donna Phelan said...

WOW! You take my breath away! Your layers, whether they be ink, glitter, stamp or paper are FABULOUS! Every accent has a purpose! I love the sweet little fairy, I may have to invest in a couple for a certain little cherub I love. These are over the top magnificent, Donna! I hope they bring you as much JOY making as I get in seeing! So happy you share your clever creativity with us all! xo~

Debbie Mageed said...

Oh, Donna, these are incredible! I love that butterfly background so much! And Grace is full of girly details that are so soft and lovely. You are the card artist that I will never be but can appreciate and admire. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! XO

NanaConnie said...

These are simply delightful, Donna! I love the fairies, especially the ballerina. Read your comment about trying the coloring technique on watercolor paper next time but must tell you that I LOVE the effect you got on the mixed media paper. I'm going to go buy a pad of that myself and do some playing with it. Would love to see how oxide inks react on it. :-D

nwilliams6 said...

Donna, some very cool stuff here! Love the bgs, glitter, images, techniques - everything is fabulous! Missed your creations - so glad I stopped by to see them.

Mia said...

Two stunning cards, Donna! Wow! They are sooooooooo pretty! Kisses, my friend.

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful cards Donna love the cute Fairies and your masked background-beautiful dies and sparkle
Carol x

cotnob said...

Beautiful cards Donna, they are both fabulous but I especially like the pretty ballerina - I love all of the lovely sparkle and all of your super details.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Pamellia said...

Wow Donna, these cards are incredible! Sorry I'm late to comment, I seem to have totally missed your thumbnail in my reader. It always blows my mind how much time and effort you put into every detail of every card you make! As I'm scanning through your post I realize I would never have the patience to create in the style you do. Well it's so worth it, these are nothing short of shimmering works of art!! Just glorious!

As I was blogging this morning I've seen so many photographs of flowers and green grass. I find it so odd since it will be several months until we get that far into spring. We've had some nice weather this week, but it's really just a big tease, I'm sure we will get plenty more cold weather before it's time for planting flowers. I hope it's been nice out where you are my friend. sending hugs :)

Chris said...

Hi Donna, somehow I managed to miss this post, so glad I found it as these cards are totally gorgeous! So pretty and feminine and such lovely designs.
Chris
x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Super cute cards, Donna! You put so much love into each card! I always love the sparkle!

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,
wow was für wundervolle Karten. Ich bin total begeistert von dem Glanz. Du hast dir wieder so viel Mühe gemacht und alles bis ins kleinste Detail perfekt gestaltet. Ganz liebe Sonntagsgrüße herzlichst Silvi

brenda said...

Goodness me you have been bust Donna, I absolutely love the pink inky background and that little Fairy is a delight in her big shoes, I think every little girl has played that game at some point. Thanks you for sharing.

B x

Pia S said...

It’s useful and inspiring to see how a card came to with the photos showing the evolution and step by step. It seems I can always learn something new to me over here. Your cards look amazing, detailed, glittery abd uber cute!

sarascloset said...

Beautiful cards, Donna! I especially love that butterfly background! What a lot of work, time, patience and love goes into each and every one of your creations! Sorry I've been MIA; I've been away on the weekends, and my hubby has me pretty busy in my spare time during the week. Sending HUGE hugs!

MaryH said...

Both your sweet fairy girls are beautiful. So enjoyed seeing the creation process in the pictures, and you got some stunning effects with the watercolor & masked butterfly. Loved the nifty layers, and the different techniques you've used with the EP's...The fairy duo are so pretty and adding the pearly music score was perfect for a border. The tiny one in the big shoes...just priceless. Hoping that you are well, and ready to enjoy a good weekend. TFS & big hugs.

KT Fit Kitty said...

I missed the blog hop but I'm so happy I stopped by to see your gorgeous cards! Wow, that background on the first card is amazing! Beautiful job, my friend! Thanks for sharing all the details on how you made these cards!