My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, December 07, 2017

Show Me A Snowman - Cardz 4 Galz - Sparkle N Sprinkle

Hello, Blogging Buddies! Wishing you a great day. Are you enjoying the holiday celebrations and preparations? Here in central Florida, we are enjoying gorgeous  blue skies, light fluffy clouds, and temperatures in the low 80s (in the shade!)

Maybe my card will cool things off.

Speaking of cards - I love playing with my supplies, getting messy, and experimenting. Do you?


There's a new challenge at Cardz 4 Galz Challenges today!


Badges are awarded for the Spotlight Winner and Top Picks.

Challenge #61 is chosen by designer Caz - and the theme is:

  SHOW ME A SNOWMAN  

show us your Paper Crafting projects using any technique and medium, 
AS LONG AS IT FEATURES A SNOW PERSON!
Challenge ends on DECEMBER 21st.

Today's card is 5x7 (A7) and features this darling Bugaboo Image merged with  Sparkle N Sprinkle has become the Snow Couple Rubber Stamp Set (also available digitally). They are delighted, cuddling together to keep each other COLD, and singing you "we wish you a Merry Christmas".

I colored this image with Copic Markers, and this is the colored version you will receive with this stamp set if you buy the digital set.

Then I die cut the intriguing Tonic Layering Ribbon and Bow Frame Set in white, coated it with VersaMark and dredged with Firecracker Red Detail Opaque EP (it contains glitter). I removed the center (detailed) portion of the die, leaving two plain pieces, and die cut the same frame out of fun foam.



Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive with fine nozzle tip was applied to the back of the red embossed frame and adhered to the fun foam.
The back of the fun foam was coated with 1/4" Tear-ific Tape, and it was then placed on the die cut Snow Couple die cut piece.


Cut red cardstock as desired, and then cut the Super Adhesive Sheet 1/4" smaller.
Carefully center the cut SAS to the red cardstock, leaving the protective layer on top. Adhere the red layer to the card base:


The sentiment was designed to be on one side, so I pulled back the SAS on the right side just enough to apply a little Cloud Nine Velvet Microfine Glitter, burnishing it in with my finger. (See how it will look when the protective layer is finally removed?



After wiping off the excess, I prepared the left side for the same treatment, leaving the center tacky for the Snow Couple Panel:



Leaving the protective layer in place, burnish the left side and brush off any loose glitter.
Place entire panel in the Tim Holtz Stamp Platform to arrange the flourish stamp (sorry about the glaring light bulb!):



To get the Blazing Red Staz-on ink to show up enough, I had to restamp 7 times (because the base cardstock is red, not white). After stamping, the protective layer was removed, the Snow Couple panel was applied, and then the top and bottom of the SAS was burnished with more glitter. (Below, see that the SAS holds the Snow Couple panel, and just above and below more glitter is needed:



The sentiment is heat embossed with White Detail EP. I put it back in the Stamp Platform and stamped again with Versamark, and heat set with Velvet Sparkle EP. This allows the white EP to show clearly, but gives a bit of a sparkly shadow to the words (hope you can see the sparkles):



To create my giant sized snowflakes I used Nuvo Glitter Accents Fresh Snowfall, and dredged with Diamond Dust Glitter. The same process was done on the ground, and on the snow couple's hats:



Tonic's Poinsettia Wreath Die 80e was cut up and embellished with more Firecracker Red Detail Opaque EP to match the frame. The little heart brad was heat set with Velvet Sparkle EP. (Just heat the brad, dip into embossing powder, heat again, dip again, until you like the appearance).

Finished Sparkly card:

Products Used:

Fun Challenges I'd like to play in:

  1. Kerst/Christmas Challenges #12 Anything Goes Christmas 1/1/2018
  2. Craftaholics R Us #48 Christmas 12/13
  3. Always Fun Challenges #35 "Snowmen" 12/10
  4. World Wide Open DT Challenge #28 Anything for a DT 12/15
  5. Bugaboo Crafty Challenge #11 Anything Bugaboo Goes 12/15
  6. Love to Scrap #104 Winter Wonderland 12/31 (sep post)
  7. Crafty Calendar Challenges (December) "It's Christmas" 1/1 (sep post)
Thanks for coming by today,


43 comments:

KraftyKoolKat said...

A really cute creation Donna. Beautiful too.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is a stunning card I love those snow people they are so cute. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Pamellia said...

Oh yeah, Donna whipped out her glitter and the world is shimmery and sparkly!! What a stunning card my friend. As I watch you go through your process, I realize how much work goes into a card like this. Dang, what patience you have! Well it sure is worth it, this is fantastic. Love that image too! Festive, fun and totally amazing!

I can't believe the temperatures you've been having, that's quite the warm streak? Well it seems we're having a warm streak here too, except that it's SUPPOSED to be winter! I wanna say that it's unseasonably warm, but it seems as the years pass by, that these temperatures are becoming the norm. Not a fan of global warming! lol. sending hugs :)

Chris said...

Fabulous card Donna, the little snow couple are delightful (beautiful colouring!), and your design is, as always gorgeous! Love the frame and all that sparkle. It's lovely to see how you made it step by step, with the detailed photos and the products used. Your posts must take you ages to write, I always enjoy reading them!
Have to say I'm a little envious (ok very envious!) of your weather at the moment...it's miserable here, cold, wet and very windy!
hugs
Chris
x

Shona Erlenborn said...

Wow - so much sparkly goodness! Love that flourish down the left side - such a special touch! Of course I adore that stamp set too! We both used the same one this week! The red background, frame and wreath are beautifully coordinated. Another fabulous make my dear friend!

Lisa said...

Wow, Donna, this is amazing!! The sparkle is so gorgeous!! I love the adorable snow couple!! How sweet are they??!! The texture you added is fabulous!! I love, love this, my friend!! It make me happy to look at!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Sue said...

Hi Donna, That's a lovely card.

Hope you are having a nice day. Sue

Bunny said...

I love how glitter looks. This card is so shimmery and pretty. I love the traditional colors. Fabulous card. [Bunny]

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous Donna! Love the step by step photographs and instructions. Gorgeous snowmen image and loving the glitter.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, yes, sometimes I just love playing with my cards like this, and other times I want them CAS. Always, though, it's fun to add a special element or two from my stash. Clearly you had plenty of fun with this one! The snowpeople are so cute! Instant smiles! Love the Tonic frame, too. Looked at it on the SnS site, but the picture is too small to see the product there. Pretty stretch of weather here, too. Not 80 degrees, but warmer and sunny. Wish we had time to go camping, sigh.

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is super cute and a gorgeous card Donna
Gr Karin

Verna Angerhofer said...

Super cute and adorable snow couple and I love the pretty frame around them. Your coloring is fabulous too!

Donna Phelan said...

This is so sweet! Love your cool couple! The design is lovely, like that focal image over to the right like that. Beautiful coloring and of course I love all of that pretty sparkle! Oh great dies too! Merry Merry!

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

Beautiful coloring as always and a beautiful intricate frame around it all. So sparkly and pretty!

Lori Kobular said...

Donna your snow couple is just adorable! I love the glitter frame! You colored the snow people beautifully!

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

Wow amazingly and beautifully finished and designed Christmas Card. Love your image. Your frame is gorgeous too. I want one (lol) Lovely work as always.
Such a pleasure to pop onto your blog and view your talent and just love your step-by-step instructions. It is lovely to just see how much work is involved in some of these projects. Well done.
Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge


Tammy said...

Awww this is so cute Donna! I love that adorable image and all of the sparkle, awesome frame die cut too!
Hugs, Tammy

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

Back again, and again just stunning and amazing work here. Thanks again for the step-by-step tutorial, I love it. Great work as always.
Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge



SewPaperPaint said...

This is incredibly beautiful and well designed Donna. I just love the sweet image and your beautiful coloring with the glittery red frame. Stunning! Hugs, Autumn

Tina said...

Your card is so stinkin cute! So cute!
thank you for joining us at Craftaholics R Us
Tina, Craftaholics R Us DT

Nancy said...

Great card, Donna! I love all that gorgeous sparkle and that fabulous red frame! The snow couple is adorable too! :o)

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my goodness this little couple are just so sweet, Love the little hearts floating off of them, they look so much in love :) Terrific coloring and love how you have done the snow, I may have to try that because the ones I just made I used stickles and I wasn't too happy with the results. I just love all the shimmer you have been putting on your cards, it really dresses up the card. Like how you tied the pretty delicate flower in with the heart center, so sweet!

Ina G said...

Such a gorgeous image Donna. So cute and romantic. Awesome layout with loads of bling. Stunning!

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,
wow, was für ein Glitter auf deiner Karte und das Schneemannmotiv so allerliebst. Ich bin von deiner Gestaltung ganz beeindruckt. Die Karte gefällt mir sehr gut. Ich wünsche dir einen schönen Tag. Ganz liebe Grüße herzlichst Hugs Silvi

Janice said...

A pretty sparkly frame surrounding your fabulous snow couple Donna! Love your snowflakes too.
Janice x

Diane said...

Beautifully created Donna and fabulous design. I love all the red and sparkle. Wouldn't this also make a wonderful Valentine card just by changing out the sentiment and adding a few hearts...you have my mind whirling...wonderful die you have used too, I need to check that one out!! Have a merry merry day today...it's to snow again tonight..7 to 9"...brrr!!!

Angie said...

Gorgeous make, thanks for sharing with us over at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge.
Angie DT

Marilyn said...

Fab card and a great tutorial.

pam said...

Gorgeous image De, beautiful colouring as always! think I have that frame by Tonic (Unused)tut tut ..love the fabulous colour and all your sparkle and shine on this fabulous creation.
Hugs Pam x

crafty-stamper said...

Bitterly cold here and enjoying temperatures of -3 at the moment!!!actually enjoying a glass of port and in PJ's and dressing gown so feeling quite warm at the moment lol.Love your beautiful card and loved up snow couple and I love how you always include a step by step too --with added tips
Carol x

NanaConnie said...

Oh, I do love that snow couple, Donna. Fantastic coloring, my friend, and I adore how you did the snow. The sparkle (for which you are world famous!) is absolutely perfect and all the red just makes the image pop. Wonderful die cuts!

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliantly made De, sorry not been here been a busy moments...Your creativity is amazing and admirable. Loving that stamp too.xx [aNNie]🎄

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Another gorgeous card with so many layers of luscious glitter :) I love the little open flower :) I hope you are doing well, life has been busy here but all is OK. Hugs xx

Beebeebabs said...

Love your card and image - like how you did the snow - great job as always thanks for sharing. Enjoy the rest of the weekend my friend!!!

Pia S said...

You know I love Bugaboo images. I use them a lot. But my cards turn out completely different than yours. You're the queen of dies and glitters and this card shows why. It's gorgeous.

MaryH said...

This is a delightful & cute Snowie couple. It's such fun to see how different designers have used this image to create totally unique & lovely cards (just saw Shona's). I always enjoy seeing the pictorial tutorials you take the time to share. The microfine glitter really dressed this couple up so sparkly. The flourish, that gorgeous red frame, the wonderful poinsettia, just combined to make a stunner card. Enjoy your sunshine and blue skies. We have sunshine and blue sky today, but the temp is low 40! TFS & Happy Sunday. Hugs

Janis Lewis said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing at Craftaholics R Us.
Janis, Owner & Design Team Member

cotnob said...

A super card Donna, such a sweet image and beautiful die cut frame.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Sue said...

I love me a snowman and this snowpeople couple is darling. Also love the sentiment with the music notes, you know I am humming that tune in my head now right? Gorgeous holiday card, details are wonderful.

Hugs
Sue

Shirley said...

How in love Mr and Mrs Snowman look, the smile on their faces says it all. Fabby make sweets. Wonder how cold their noses are???

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Planetsusie said...

Hi there missus Donna - I've got a DT hat on today and I've just popped over to check on this fantastic creation of yours. You certainly know how to make gorgeous sparkly cards and that red is so Christmassy that I'm now singing Crimbo songs to meself!! Love how you've framed that super image with that gorgeous frame. So I now just want to thank you for entering the Crafty Calendar (It's Christmas) Challenge this month. Lots of luck and I hope we see you again soon. Hugs Sue Pxxx DT

sarascloset said...

Donna, for someone who has warm weather, you sure do know how to build a snowman (couple)! I love this to bits with all the sparkle, the snow, and those delicate, but oh, so shimmery die cuts! Gorgeous! Hugs!

wannabcre8tive said...

Your snowman couple are just adorable. Love this image and the use of the Nuvo Glitter Accents Fresh Snowfall.