My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Cardz 4 Galz - Thank You or Thanksgiving

Hello, Blogging Friends.
As we approach Thanksgiving in the US, I cannot begin to express my deep gratitude and thankfulness for you, my dear blogging friends.
Thank you for contributing to my little life.
(and if that sounds a little sappy to you, alas, that's how I truly am)

ONWARD WE GO!

Today I've got something a little different to share, using Autumn colors that were popular as plaids in my Connecticut high school days: Mustard and Mulberry.


There's a new challenge at Cardz 4 Galz Challenges today
!

Badges are awarded for the Spotlight Winner and Top Picks.

Challenge #60 is chosen by designer Tammy - and the theme is:

  Thank you or Thanksgiving  

show us your Paper Crafting projects using any technique and medium, 
AS LONG AS IT CONVEYS GRATITUDE!
Challenge ends on NOVEMBER 22nd.

Today's card share is relatively flat for postage reasons.
Wouldn't it be beautiful with sparkly dimensional flowers or leaves? (giggle)
(click to make photos larger if desired - should work for my email followers as well)

To make the fancy frame:

Tonic Twisting Veranda Layering Die Set 
(currently 50% off sale in SNS store)




The unassembled frame is now two pieces:

  1. The solid portion of the frame was cut, smooshed with VersaMark Ink, and coated with Sparkle N Sprinkle Cappuccino Star EP.
  2. The ornate frame has been smooshed with creamy Nuvo Fresh Copper Embellishment Mousse.
  3. Both pieces look great with old "Brilliance Ink" masked portion.
  4. Adhere the two pieces together.


To finish the card:

  • Die cut a shape for your card. Distress with ink around the edges.
  • Trace around the die frame, and fussy cut a layer to smoosh more Royal Aubergine Embellishment Mousse. It makes the frame more noticeable from the background (and looks pretty, too!)

  • Heat Emboss the sentiment on vellum with SNS Cappuccino Star EP.
  • Adhere vellum strip under the frame.
  • Adhere frame to stamped project.
  • Pop up the framed panel with dimensionals, adhering to card base.
  • Blend Concord Star EP and Mulberry Star EP to obtain a purply mulberry color that matches the mousse. Heat Emboss a section of scrap paper. Let cool.
  • From that scrap paper, cut delicate flourishes from Tonic's Verdi's Waves Flourish Die Set (love this set!) Cut them apart or leave as is, and arrange on your creation. These were adhered with Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive, an easy-to-hold-and-squeeze bottle with a VERY thin nozzle.
  • Lastly, Nuvo Glitter Drops in GOLDEN SUNSET and HONEY GOLD were splattered on the finished piece.


Interior of Card:



Leaving you with a Hug:
(courtesy of Linda's Peaceful Place)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Yn8w_ybs0




Products Used:

Please? May I play in the following challenges? Thanks!

  1. 4 Crafty Chicks #376 Give Thanks 11/16
  2. Dragonfly Journeys #140 "Attitude of Gratitude" 11-11
  3. Crafting with Friends #54 Anything Goes 11/17
  4. Crafty Calendar Challenge (Nov 4) Autumn Colors 12/3 (sep post)
  5. Hiding in my Craft Room #325 Fall Colors 11/10 (sep post 2 wks aft)
  6. Pile It On Challenge #136 Large Sentiments 12/3 (sep post 12/10)
  7. Scrapy Land #77 Anything with a die that SL Sells (Tonic, Spellbinders listed above in products) 11/11 (sep post 11/15)
  8. Sisterhood of Crafters (Nov 8) "Let the Sparkle fly!" (lots of sparkle and shine as listed in products above) 11/20 sep post
  9. Sparkles Monthly Challenge #97 Autumn Colors 11/15
  10. Stinkin' Inkers Challenge  "Thankful" 12/5 (sep post)

Stamping Hugs,



49 comments:

brenda said...

It's only a short one Donna as the fingers and head not working together at the mo (know you can identify with that one), but wanted you to know I popped in to look at your glorious winter creation.

B x

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is simple gorgeous Donna.

gr karin

Donna Phelan said...

Just one more reason WHY we never throw anything away.....you were just waiting for the right moment! Success! This is a beauty, I adore your colors! They are perfect for a fall card and regal! I guess at some point we were neighbors, CT & Mass. :) The framed shapes are super, they really add so much interest and beauty! Loving that twig wreath and your purple flourishes and that torn piece of Vellum for your sentiment. I am grateful you shared this! xo~

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna this is a stunning card thank you for the step by step. Also thank you for being a friend and for being so encouraging. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Bunny said...

I almost forgot what your card looked like because I watched the cute video. Oh, it made me think of being a little girl and bringing home anything that I said "followed me" home to have as a pet. Mama drew the line when I asked if I could have a tarantula. Sign........

Okay, back to the card. So lovely. The inside is fantastic. What beautiful dies. So creative. Thanks for the tutorial. [Bunny]

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Wow Donna, gorgeous design, I love the colours and glitter very much! The card & words inside are also beautiful. Excellent tutorial tutorial as well. I'm bad that I don't keep things forever and sometimes I go looking for items after I've given it away. However I do have things that I haven't used in years but can't part with them, maybe someday I create cards with stitching and paperfolding again? Take good care, hugs, Shirleyxx

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is so gorgeous Donna. I love the scriptures. We are blessed to have YOU!!!!
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Lori Kobular said...

Donna you never cease to amaze me with your gorgeous works of art! This Thanksgiving card is absolutely stunning! I love the tutorial and all the elements you put into this gorgeous card!

Beebeebabs said...

Wow such a beautiful card you did a great job as always. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!!!

Chris said...

This is a stunning card Donna, it's great that you found a use for that beautiful stamped wreath that you've kept for so long, it looks amazing in the gorgeous frame. Love how you add so much sparkle and shimmer to your creations, always so lovely to look at. Thanks for the step by step too...and for always being such a kind and generous blogger with your lovely comments.
Love the cuddly kangaroo...I want one!
hugs
Chris
x

Lisa said...

Wow, this is stunning, Donna!! I love the colors!! The frame is amazing!! What a perfect use of an unfinished project!! I have a box of them and I need to take a cue from you and use them!! I love every single thing about this!! Your tutorials are always so fabulous, too!! Love it, my friend!! Elegant and gorgeous!! Thanks so much for playing along at Scrapy Land, too!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous Donna, love the textures on the background and wonderful design.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Valerija said...

Super card is very nice! Love the colours!
Valerija xx

Sue said...

Hi Donna, Lovely card.

I love the video about the Kangaroo.

Hope you have had a nice day. Sue

SewPaperPaint said...

Congrats on your new machine! What amazing concepts were put to beautiful use on this gorgeous make. Love the wreath stamp and your colors. Hugs, Autumn

Dr Sonia S V said...

Donna love your step by step and oooh your new toy looks amazing. I recently bought my first tonic dies and oooh love them. They are pretty expensive here in India but I think I am hooked for sure!!

Leslie Miller said...

I love these colors together! Your card is so beautiful I don't even miss the extra fluff. You know me -- flat for mailing. You worked in plenty of detail and dimension and still kept it flat, which is always a challenge, but you aced it. Love how you did that wonderful dry embossed background. So pretty! Lots of WOW here, Donna! Oh, and the video tugged at my heart strings. There are few things better than a warm hug!

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Donna, lovely colours and fabulous design - a super fancy frame.
Thank you for the lovely clear instructions. I'm so pleased that you like your Tonic Tangerine.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,
eine wunderschöne Karte hast du gestaltet. Bling, Bling gefällt mir sehr gut.Auch das innere der Karte hast du so liebevoll gestaltet. Ich bin ganz begeistert. Ganz liebe Grüße herzlichst Hugs Silvi

Tammy said...

WOW Donna, this is stunning!! I love the colors, shape and all of the sparkle, what an amazing card! Great video, that kangaroo is precious!
Hugs, Tammy

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

Love your Connecticut colors, Donna. I totally agree with keeping cards flat for mailing and even then, when I mail a flat card, sometimes they still don't reach the recipient or are returned to me for no reason at all. So frustrating. Love your layers and tutorial.

Verna Angerhofer said...

A beautiful card design Donna. I really love those colors too. And, so glad you found a cutting machine that works so well for you.

pam said...

Really that long ago Donna! looks fabulous to me and those colours are gorgeous, perfect frame to finish!
Glad you like your new toy Donna, much easier when we get a cut first pass.
Hugs Pam x

Maryvonne Coussé said...

Gorgeous card ! Thanks for the tips !

Jeannie said...

Hi Donna! You are simply amazing and this is one gorgeous card. The colors and all of the sparkle and there's just so much eye candy to look at. Thanks so much for joining my Attitude of Gratitude blog challenge :)

Jeannie T.
Dragonfly Journeys

Darlene said...

Just GORGEOUS Donna! I bet this is breath taking in person! Love your design! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘Let the Sparkle Fly’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

Debbie Mageed said...

Gorgeous!! Honestly, Donna, I don't think I have ever studied a card harder than this one. It is truly amazing!! The colors are so perfect together, muted with that wonderful POP that just wows anyone looking at it. I have been meaning to ask you about your BD present. I want a FULL review!!
Debbie xo

Loose Stitches said...

Gorgeous creation Donna, it reminds me of a beautifully framed antique saucer, love it!
Hugs, Sherry x
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

Janice said...

Wow, this is just beautiful Donna! Your choice of colours, design and detail are amazing. I love the vellum sentiment.
Thank you for the tutorial.
Janice x

Becky said...

What a beautiful card. It was almost like it was waiting for you to finish it spectacularly. And you did. Thanks for sharing.

Terri's Cards N More said...

Stunning card inside and out. Love all the sparkle (the purple is gorgeous). Thanks for joining the Stinkin' Inkers challenge.

NanaConnie said...

Gorgeous color combo, my friend! Elegant how you did the glitter parts and the sentiment on vellum is magnificent. You are just so creative, Donna.

Mrs A. said...

I love those two colours together and it just goes to show that everything gets used up in the end. This is a lovely card. Hugs Mrs A.

Wendy R. said...

Hi Donna, gorgeous card and a fab tutorial! Many thanks for coming over to say Hi on my blog. Have a lovely weekend! xx Wendy

Pamellia said...

Oh my gosh Donna, this is drop dead gorgeous! The shaped base is amazing and the shaped layers on top of that are so unique and go so well together! Your palette is fantastic, how much do I love that glittery purple and shimmery metallic framing! Your wreath of twigs is stunning and the glittery sentiment is so elegant! This is my absolute favourite autumn card so far this year, hands down!

So they threatened a huge snow storm on Thursday night, and although we got a lot of wind and some flurries were in the air, it never really landed on the ground. The temperatures have dropped though, so I am hoping the snow will fall very soon!! Love the hugging kangaroo by the way, aren't they such adorable animals!! sending hugs :)

CG said...

What a stunning design; I really like how you dealt with the sentiment and the inside of the card. Thanks for joining us at Pile It On, always great when you join us! Best, CG

Chris said...

Hi Donna, so pleased to have you play along with us at Crafty Calendar this month.
hugs
Chris
x

Terri's Cards N More said...

Beautiful color combo and design. Thanks for joining the Sisterhood's "Let the Sparks Fly" challenge.

Conniecrafter said...

Just gorgeous, love the colors and pretty layering , the sparkle in the frame is so pretty and I just love that wreath, so pretty and delicate! You always do such a wonderful job on the inside too! I am thankful that we meet through our design team :)

Lori Kobular said...

Donna I am back with a different hat on! This card is so beautiful, love the combination of colors and dies! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenges!

Christina said...

Hello Donna. I am very thankful and grateful to be blessed with your friendship. Thank you for being apart of my life :D Your wreath is a beautiful example of no matter how long ago we started on a project (even 10 years!), its beauty last because of the love that was put into creating it. I absolutely love the colors choices. It gives a lovely vintage feels to the card, which so perfect for your "vintage" project. LOL. I also notice there glitters on the card too! LOVE. Wishing you a lovely days ahead Donna. Stay warm. Hugs.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful design and mini tut De, love this die and the results you have obtained from it. BTW your new friend looks fabulous. Enjoy.xx[aNNie]🎄

Nance said...

Very pretty card, love all the shimmer and that die! This gives me hope for some projects I've had tucked away for years. Thanks for playing with us at 4 Crafty Chicks this week!

Cazro said...

A stunning card, loving all the detailed, creative applications. Thanks for joining in the fun at Sparkles Monthly Challenges. Caz DT.

Pia S said...

To me the purple was an unexpected color detail on this card, and I love how it stands out from the more neutral color scheme. I tend to play safe when it comes to color combinations, that why I try a d push myself to do color challenges from time to time, it's so easy to play it safe. Your card is a beauty and it stands out from the crowd of other beautiful cards.

Diane said...

FABULOUS card, wow, so perfect;y created and a stunning design....like I said WOW!

lynnseverydayideas said...

Very nice creation and loads of detail in your post. Thanks for joining us at Stinkin' Inkers

Desperatehousewifecraft said...

Really such a gorgeous unique piece of art Donna! Thanks for joining in the fun at The Sisterhood of Crafters and we hope to see your beautiful creations again soon! Hugs Gwendolyn

Helen said...

Beautiful card!
Thanks for playing at Pile It On!
Helen x