My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, September 01, 2016

We're All A Little Different {Beccy Muir}

Greetings, sweet friends!
Hoping you and your families are doing well, and enjoying Life.

It is still quite hot here, with next-to-unbearable humidity.
The only thing growing in the garden is Okra, which I cut up and roast in the oven, making it crispy without the "gooey sliminess". LOL 

This past week has given us humidity in the mid ninety percentile, making us EXTRA grateful for air conditioning. We have also had an extremely active lightning season, but fortunately no tornadoes.

Well, enough about that. (laughing)



It's time for another Crafts Galore Encore Challenge



Our theme this month is: Anything Goes. Cards, tags, anything at all!

This month's sponsor is...
     The fabulous...
          The famous...
               The fantastically talented...

My projects feature an OH-SO-FUN stamp set called "Milton the Giraffe".


We're all a little different, and it is that "difference" that makes each one of us so special!
My cards reflect that specialness, too!

Milton's sister Melissa is joining us for a 

breast cancer support card. 

(sounds like the narration for a fashion show) giggle.

Colored in Copic Markers, Melissa is standing tall in her battle against breast cancer. 

The background panels are heat embossed with Princess Rose Cosmic EP387:


HOWEVER:

While the same EP was used on the entire background, the underlying colors are different:


You can barely see the difference - the words are darker than the hearts and ribbons:


This technique would be wonderful with Sparkle EP or some other semi-transparent EP, especially if it has glitter in it.

TIP FOR SENTIMENT ON TAG:

The sentiment on the tag was stamped using MISTI because I did not have the right color of EP or ink. To achieve the desired color,  the sentiment is inked and stamped using dye-base Wild Plum.

The stamp is cleaned in place, and inked with VersaMark. Stamp perfectly atop the Wild Plum image. Fnally, Strawberry Sherbet Cosmic semi-transparent EP248 was sprinkled on the wet sentiment and heat set achieving a coordinating color which is slightly darker. 

(NOTE: you could also ink your stamp with VersaMark and then color the inked image with a marker, huff on the image, and stamp. Immediately apply the EP and heat set.)


A little Mauvelous Glitter sparkles up the pink layer of the sentiment AND the scallops:

To Achieve the Pink Sparkly Scallops:


Use one sided or double-sided tape, sticky part down. Turn panel over, burnish glitter into the stick-y-fied scallops, brush off excess, and flip back over. If using regular tape, glue will be needed to adhere the panel to your card. If using double-sided tape,  remove the protective cover and adhere panel.

"Melissa" could not be happier with her achievements. (smile)


Meanwhile, Brother Milton is Catching Snowflakes:


Beccy creates the sweetest images, and they are always fun to color.
Brother Milton is colored with Copic Markers.

The shiny edges of the tag are created with chunky Diamond Dust Glitter
The larger the glitter-chunk surface, the more light is reflected and shimmered. (that was your trivia question answered for the day, even though you technically did not ask it) giggle.


Blue Jewel Glitter highlights some of the other snowflakes:


It's difficult capturing that glitter-i-ness on each element at the same time.
But the card itself is lots of sparkly fun:

The pretty papers are from K and Company - probably 10 years old if a day.
(hanging head in shame):


The blue card was quick and easy - simply color, layer, some die cuts, add glitter:


Quick on the inside using more sentiments and leftovers:


Thanks for stopping by today! We enjoy being inspired by your creations on the



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink Card:
Products Used:
Pink Card Challenges I'd like to play in please:

  1. Aud Sentiments Challenge #163 Anything Goes + a Sentiment 9/12
  2. C.R.A.F.T. Challenge #379 Embossing (please see the tutorials-tips above regarding embossing powders on the pink sentiment and embossing powders on the background) 9/7
  3. Craft Your Passion Challenges #327 - Anything Goes 9/5
  4. Crafting By Designs (Sept) "Anything Goes 9/25
  5. Crafting from the Heart Challenges #125 Anything Goes 9/5
  6. Crafty Gals Corner #87 Anything Goes 9/5
  7. Cutie Pie Challenge Blog #102 Anything Cute at work rest of play (mine are playing) 9/12
  8. Die Cutting Divas Challenge #281 Anything Goes 9/4
  9. Digi Choosday Crafting Challenges #38 Anything Goes 9/4
  10. Inspiration Destination Challenge #101 Anything Goes 9/7
  11. Paper Minutes Challenges #450 Pennants (pink card has "wish" pennant at bottom, and vellum white pennant on top left) 9/5
  12. Shopping Our Stash #SOS267 - Learn Something New - using my MISTI, I documented above how to stamp twice (once with VersaMark pigment ink, and then once with marker or die base ink) in order to change the color of an embossing powder on a single image.) 9/6
  13. Simon Says Wednesday Challenge (Aug 31) Anything Goes 9/6
  14. Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenges "Anything Goes with Glitter or EP" 10/1
  15. Sunny Day Crafting #12 Anything Goes 9/6
  16. Through the Craft Room Door (Aug 30-Sept 5) Anything Goes 9/6
PLEASE NOTE: FOR SOME REASON, BLOGGER PUBLISHED THIS POST TWICE. I DID NOT WANT TO DELETE THE COMMENTS OR POSSIBLE LINKY PROBLEMS. IF THE CHALLENGE IS NOT APPEARING HERE, WILL YOU PLEASE CLICK HERE AND SEE IT LISTED? THANK YOU.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Card:
Products Used:

Blue Card Challenges I'd like to play in please:

  1. Aud Sentiments Challenge #163 Anything Goes + a Sentiment 9/12
  2. Christmas Card Challenges #38 "Anything Goes Christmas" 9/4
  3. Craft Your Passion Challenges #327 - Anything Goes 9/5
  4. Crafting By Designs (Sept) "Anything Goes 9/25
  5. Crafting from the Heart Challenges #125 Anything Goes 9/5
  6. Cutie Pie Challenge Blog #102 Anything Cute at work rest of play (mine are playing) 9/12
  7. Die Cutting Divas Challenge #281 Anything Goes 9/4
  8. Digi Choosday Crafting Challenges #38 Anything Goes 9/4
  9. Holly Jolly Christmas Challenges #79 Non-Traditional Colors 9/4
  10. Inspiration Destination Challenge #101 Anything Goes 9/7
  11. Simon Says Wednesday Challenge (Aug 31) Anything Goes 9/6
  12. Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenges (Sept) "Anything Goes with Glitter or EP" 10/1
  13. Sunny Day Crafting #12 Anything Goes 9/6
  14. Through the Craft Room Door (Aug 30-Sept 5) Anything Goes 9/6
PLEASE NOTE: FOR SOME REASON, BLOGGER PUBLISHED THIS POST TWICE. I DID NOT WANT TO DELETE THE COMMENTS OR POSSIBLE LINKY PROBLEMS. IF THE CHALLENGE IS NOT APPEARING HERE, WILL YOU PLEASE CLICK HERE AND SEE IT LISTED? THANK YOU.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a Personal Note:

Please forgive my inability to leave as many comments as I was once able to do.
The cognitive and physical portions of my abilities has decreased substantially this year,
and I'm just not able to do as much as I once did.
Thanks for understanding, sweet friends.
It certainly is not because I don't care, because I do - just not able.


Stamping Hugs,
(this is me, wearing my giraffe colors)






67 comments:

Emma said...

I love these cards Donna. Its amazing how one digi can be used for 2 such different card xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Donna both of your cards are gorgeous I love the different ways you have used that fun image. Have a great day. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Linda Simpson said...

Hi Donna, these are absolutely gorgeous, love the image and gorgeous designs.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Carole J said...

Beautiful cards, Donna! Love all the sparkle you created on both cards and great tutorials. x

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful cards thanks for sharing!!!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Donna both your cards are sooo gorgeous and my heart goes out to you my friend...dont feel guilty about not commenting!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

brenda said...

Great cards Donna and love both colourways. Completely understand on the commenting, much the same this end.

B x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Very, very cute cards, Donna! So many gorgeous details and lots of sparkle! You've really made these funny characters shine, both male and female versions! So sorry to hear about your health, Donna, please hang in there. Sending hugs.

KarinsArtScrap said...

these 2 cards are gorgeous with this cute image Donna.
and we see you when you can, take care
Gr Karin

Shona Erlenborn said...

What fun cards you created with Milton. Melissa is terrific in all her pink sparkle. Love the way you did the background and thanks for the tutorial. I've yet to take my Misti out of the packet!! You would never know of your health struggles by the way you come up with all those gorgeous designs. Take care my friend.

Linda Vich said...

Two very lovely cards, Donna! Such a sweet giraffe image! Love how you applied the glitter to the edges of the tag. Keep well, Donna!

Janis Lewis said...

Beautiful cards! Thanks for linking up at Sunny Day Crafting.
~DT Janis

Sue said...

Hi Donna, Loving both your cards.

Never had Okra.

We have had humidity in the 80s and 90s and I don't have AC.

I am a follower, but have been for some time, so think you must still have me.

Hope you are having a good week and looking forward to the weekend. Sue

Anne Temple said...

WOW! These are amazing! Love all the fun tips you shared too.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, these are both absolutely amazing, Donna!! Wow!! I love Milton and Melissa :) They are colored so beautifully!! The layers and designs of both cards are gorgeous!! The sparkle is amazing!! These are spectacular my friend!! Love, love them both!! Please don't worry about not commenting. You are in my thoughts and my daily prayers my friend. Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

SD pooja said...

ha ha I had smile seeing the pink girafee ,the image is funny n the pink color adds to it ! lovely bg with words ! The blue seems all set for Christmas !
Hope the weather gets better n bearable at yor place !

Darlene said...

OH MY STARS!!! These are both just ADORABLE! LOVE all the added sparkle! What happy creations ... sure made me smile!!
Hope your weather is a bit better this week. We fortunately are having a couple very pleasant upper 70s days but of course headed back UP next week. Fall is right around the corner though and you know what comes after that LOL. Have a fabulous holiday weekend! I know I'll have the grill fired up! HUGS

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, sweet Donna! It's so wonderful to see a new post today, and WOW! I love these darling giraffes -- one of my favorite wild animals. However, they always seem so kind and gentle as opposed to a wild lion. Anyway, These are so beautiful, and I love see all the wonderful steps you take in achieving such beauty! The sparkle is amazing, and what a beautiful card for breast cancer support. This dear giraffe surely does have LOTS of attitude - hehe! Oh, I'm so sorry that you have had decreased abilities, and I continue to pray for you, dear friend! We all know that you are one of the most LOVING and caring people in "blog-land," and it's a joy to visit you. So you just enjoy your time in your craft room and relax. Here for you, sweet friend! xoxo

cotnob said...

Gorgeous cards Donna, Mellisa is fabulous and you have created a wonderful pink breast cancer support card - thank you for sharing your process with us.
Milton is also fabulous, such a different Christmas card.
Sorry to hear that you are not able to do as much as you would like - you certainly don't need to apologise, you are always a brilliant blogger.
Pauline
x
My Personal Blog: Crafting with Cotnob

Pat K said...

Beautiful cards Donna. Such a sweet image that's looking great in both colours. Stay safe. Thanks for playing along with us at The Cutie Pie Challenge. hugs, Pat K x

laurie said...

Love both your cards!Just adorable.Thanks so much for joining us at The Christmas Card Challenges!

pam said...

Two gorgeous card designs Donna, fabulous image coloured beautifully! love all the sparkle and backgrounds you created.
Please don't worry about not commenting, Sorry to hear that you are not able to do as much as you would like.
Take care dear friend.
Hugs Pam x

NanaConnie said...

Well, I've already 'drooled' all over these over on the DT page but this is the first time I had a chance to see the incredible technique you used on the background embossing on the Breast Cancer Awareness card. It's fantastic, my friend! You have such creative ideas about crafting and card making and I love being inspired by you. Thanks so much. :-D

Stampsnob. said...

AWWWWWWWWWWAH sweet stamp set Pink or blue it is lovely .......Lis

Lori Kobular said...

Both of your cards are adorable! Funny thing ~ I just got that very same stamp from SNS at the Scrapbook Expo a couple of weeks ago! I have been dying to ink it up and color it, but I wanted to get some DT projects out of the way! But I think it is absolutely adorable stamp! Your cards are so pretty! Great idea to do one all in pink for Breast Cancer! I may just have to steal your idea! And I love the blue one as a Christmas card!

McCrafty's Cards said...

Hi Donna, firsly I am sending healing thoughts to you and hoping you will improve with time, both of these cards are absolutely gorgeous i love the image it looks wonderful in both colours, and of course they have the lovely sparkle you always seem to be able to add to your cards.
Lots of love and hugs
Kevin xx

Babs said...

I absolutely love your cards Donna, beautiful backgrounds and images and coloured so beautifully and all for a very good cause, my mum died of breast cancer many moons ago..

Hugs Babs x

Beebeebabs said...

LOL - I love the name you gave me "BB"

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

Good to see you posting some cards, Donna. It's been a while. This digi is so cute and you've really put a lot of time into it, from the embossing to the coloring to the stamping. I really like the sentiments with this digi.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your cards are both so beautiful and that little giraffe is sure having a lot of fun catching snowflakes and such. I love the background papers and layers you used on them too. And, I hope you are not getting drenched and in danger from the hurricanes. I also hope you get to feeling better too. I know I am on the mend after my surgery but I know when to take time to rest as well. I hope you rest when needed too. Take care my friend!

Christina Hor said...

Hello Donna. My daughter Catherine is looking over my shoulder and admiring your beautiful cards here. She said the giraffes are so cute and beautiful and she absolutely loving the colors on them! Me too! Such fun colors. And thanks for the awesome tips with EP. Please take care and get some rest. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers always. Sending hugs and smiles across the miles.

Andree said...

Both of these cards are amazing Donna. I love Melissa and the wonderful way you've coloured her and created the background. Milton looks gorgeous in blue. He is blissfully unaware of anything but the fabulously sparkling snowflakes he's catching xx

Isobel said...

Lovely cards Donna x

maria's knutselplezier said...

These cards looks wonderfull, what a beautiful design, the stamps you have used are so pretty and the colours are fantastic, that a good idea to use the giraf on a christmas card, unusual but very original and beautiful!!
Have fun!!
Maria

Jean Bullock said...

Very creative use of these fun stamps. I love your paper choices and awesome layers. Your inking and stamping and coloring are wonderful both inside and out. Well done, dear friend. Well done!

Mimi said...

Wow, I began following you based on the quote surrounding your title! Love it! Then I saw your cards... phenomenal! Of course Milton is adorable, but I love the card with "Melissa"!!! What can I say, I'm a sucker for those "strong women" cards! (& strong giraffes!) Thank you so much for sharing at SOS!

Unknown said...

I buzzed by the other day, but had to wait til I came back with coffee.....holy smokes, girl....FABULOUS cards and such a beautiful post--truly! Like your cards your posts are works of ART too! LOVE the Giraffe cards--they have special meaning to our household, we just ADORE them! Your cards have some many lovely accents it's hard to soak them in with just one look. The glitter and sentiments are fantastic. Beautifully designed and crafted! I am sorry things are getting a bit more difficult for you, but I know where I can find you and have a little chat from time to time. Bless you, my friend!!!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

I've seen this little giraffes a few times but yours blew me away!! What lovely colors and layouts for both of this fabulous cards. Love the sentiment on Melissa's card, very inspiring.
Thank you for sharing at SHOPPING OUR STASH, hope to see you back in the gallery again.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.

Becky said...

What adorable cards. My daughter is crazy about giraffes and always wants to kidnap the one at the zoo when we take the kids. She also is a big supporter of breast cancer awareness, so she would be over the moon that you combined the two. Love it! And thanks for the glitter tip.

Mel Gee said...

This are great. Amazing how just changing the colour can use for different themes.


Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Regards,

TTCRD DT

Mel Gee crafts {My Blog}

Through The Craft Room Door

ttcrd.blogspot.com

Leslie Miller said...

Ohhhhh, Donna! Adorable! Your coloring always blows me away, and the details keep me looking and looking. I marvel at how you add things in places that would never occur to me, but it's never too much. It's just FUN! Always great tips here, too. Love the idea of how you did the Versamark background. I need to start writing these things down. I see one idea after another and always intend to remember... That vellum banner is so sweet, too, and love the glitter on the image tag of the blue card. So, so much to love!

Donna, you just keep on doing whatever you're able to do. You have always been a spreader of joy and love, and I feel plenty of joy and love just looking at these two cards and reading your post. Hugs!

Pia S said...

They both look fantastic, Donna! Sparkly and sweet and I love an image that can be used for Christmas and other occasions as well. Look so different in pink and blue. Learnt a few useful tips here as well, like how to make the loops sparkly. I often learn useful tips over here, thanks for that.

Creating with Susan said...

These are gorgeous!! A giraffe n a Christmas card? YES! It looks awesome! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Christmas Card Challenges.

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely gorgeous card love the pink embossed background stamp and great tip-the shadowing round the image makes it look as if it's in an aperture--the blur one makes a beautiful Christmas card -untraditional image but looks brilliant
Carol x

Judy V said...

Love these beautiful cards Donna! I would have never thought to make a Melissa out of Milton and she turned out great! Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Gals Corner!

CdeBaca Crafts Gallery said...

Amazing cards! I love the pink and blue colors. These cards are absolutely adorable and amazing!

La Papera Gialla said...

I love the two different colourways!
Thanks for entering our Anything Goes Challenge here at Christmas Card Challenges!
Monica - CCC DT

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Stunning card .Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments challenge good luck Ginny ♥
Aud Sentiments
My Blog As I do Rodos

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Donna,
Your cards are stunning and fun at the same time. Your designs are always so wonderful with the many layers and lots of glitter (I love bling & sparkle). I hope that you are doing OK, don't worry about how often you comment or not, just enjoy :) Big Hugs, Xxx

Planetsusie said...

I just lurve Milton and Melissa - they are both such beautiful cards and those colours are wonderful. Your talent never ceases to amaze me! Big hugs to you and I hope those tornadoes are keeping well away from you missus! Sue Pxxx

Glenda Atkins said...

These cards are amazing, both of them outstanding in their own way. Your detailed blog on them is also so wonderful! Great work Donna,such a pleasure to visit your site!
hugs
Glenda

Monica said...

Hi Donna,

Awe, these giraffes are so darn' cute. And so versatile too. Love the brightness of the colours in both the cards.

Thank you for your meaningful comments on my last card. I was having fun with Aleeza and just doodled those lines on a card stock and I am so glad you liked the result.

I am sorry that you are not as well as one would have wished yet your spirits are in such good condition and that is wonderful.

Lots of love,

Monica

coldwaters2 said...

Wow two amazing creations Donna the image is totally adorable but it looks fantastic in the two colour ways that you have used, your colouring is ACE, the embossed background on the pink card looks really lovely so do the die cuts and papers, brilliant work.
hugs
lorraine x

Anonymous said...

Two beautiful, gorgeous, well-made cards. Thank you for sharing your process.

And thank you for joining us at Die Cuttin' Divas this week!

Evelyn

Lynn (aka Lynnpenguin) said...

Lovely cards. Thanks for joining us at Holly Jolly this week for our "Non-Traditional Colours" challenge. Hope to see you again. Good luck.
Lynn, Holly Jolly DT

Karen said...

Donna, your cards so beautifully show the versatility of the crafty goodies we are blessed with. Both cards are filled with your gorgeous love, sparkling through for the whole world to see. You are indeed talented, but far more importantly you are a lovely person. Sending tons of love, light, and prayers your way... you are loved and never, ever alone. :o)

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Mandy LaCroix said...

Gorgeous cards! Wow! :)
Thanks for sharing it over at Christmas Card Challenges!

Desire Fourie said...

These are just the cutest ever Donna and so beautifully crafted. Adore your design paper you stamped yourself. You are one creative artist. Yes its spring here in Johannesburg with warmer weather as well. The nights are more comfortable and we dont have to ware so many layers anymore.
This will also be perfect for one entry as an anything goes creation for our challenge below.
Hugs
Desíre
{ATG with a CREATE WITH TLC Element}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Anonymous said...

Ooh wow, love these cards, adorable :) Thanks for joining us for the ATG challenge at Digi Choosday.
Gail Digi Choosday DT
http://digichoosday.blogspot.co.uk

Creative world said...

Gorgeous cards,awesome coloring and PERFECT card design for that image...you did brilliant job...thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments Challenge these week
Hugs Željka DT

Nancy said...

Great cards, Donna! They're both fabulous!
Thanks for joining our Digi Choosday Challenge at Polkadoodles! :o)

Gail said...

Wonderful cards! I love the image and your creativeness is outstanding! Thanks for joining us at The Cutie Pie Challenge for our Work, Rest, Play challenge. Hugs, Gail

Aunty Sue said...

Lovely make thanks for sharing at craft and good luck in the draw

Sue said...

Only you could take a quirky little Giraffe and make fun AND Elegant cards. Love your signature bling, really wonderful cards, Donna.

Hugs
Sue

suzARTe said...

These are really lovely cards Donna, who every thought that pink and blue giraffes would look so great. It's inspiring that you are able to keep on blogging although you are not well.
It would be fantastic if you shared this creation at Anything goes September link-up, Just keep on creating
Susan xx

What I Created Next said...

Simply fantastic. Thanks for entering the Digi Choosday Anything Goes Challenge (DT). We look forward to seeing your makes each week. Good luck xx

Puppy Kisses and Paper Dreams said...

Donna - My oh my! WOW is all I can say! Your pink giraffe makes me incredibly happy. Pink makes me giddy, and this card does not disappoint. I am in awe of what you have done, and how unique you have made each of these cards. Wow, simply wow. I LOVE them! Thanks too for the hints and tips. I can't wait to play and apply some of these techniques! Thanks too for joining us and sharing your creations for Sparkle N Sprinkle's Creative Challenge. -Chris, SNS DT