My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Friday, February 26, 2016

Trading Butterflies {Swapping Smiles}

So happy to see you all!


Today's card is for three particular challenges:

1) Our Swapping Smiles Card Swap Group - going to Paula of "Look I'm Stamping" blog. The theme this month is "Butterflies and/or Flowers" - no flowers on my card, but three layers of butterflies should count!

2) The Butterfly Challenge where this fortnight the letter is "G" - for glitter and/or Grape Color.
My card uses both!

3) Stamplorations Theme and Sketch Challenge - where this month's challenge is theme and/or sketch - I used the THEME which is Stamps and Triplets 3 of anything (I have 3 butterflies and layers of 3 on each)

Remember WAY... BACK... WHEN? 

When stamps were only available on wood?
And unmounteds and digitals had not even been thought of?

I bought this stamp in THOSE DAYS, and, sad to say, it was a VIRGIN until this card!
It never had seen ink, so as part of my "using my stash" promise, here it is.


The image is gold embossed on each butterfly layer - 
the card base is stamped on SU Whisper White, where the Tombow Markers blended beautifully!


Then a layer of pearly vellum was gold embossed and fussy cut (including the antennae):


Finally, another layer of colored, fussy-cut, gold-embossed butterflies. The gold embossing looks striking in real life, making a nice contrast in texture:


Dimensional Glue was used on the butterfly bodies, and above and below the gold embossed "frame" of the image for added dimension.

The layers of wings were separated by shaping and tiny dimensional adhesive pieces.


If I could do it over again, I would have made 4 separate white punched edges for adorning each side of the pink glittered card frame, instead of measuring and punching a square - it would have fit better and been easier, too!

How the glittery frame was made:

1) die cut a scallop rectangle,
2) trim the outside to suit your card size,
3) "paint" with SNS Brushable Glue,
4) dredge with SNS Starfire Glitter,
5) adhere with dimensional tape.

My Tip for the Day is how to stretch your glittery dollar:

Purchase a very sparkly, colorless, transparent glitter like SNS Starfire G1017.

THEN...

Paint your cardstock and colored images with glue! 
Dredge on transparent or semi-transparent colorless glitter.
The result is customized glitter colors - whatever "color" of glitter you need on a project,
all from a single jar!
[pssst! just in case you did not know - adhered glitter can also be transformed by coloring it with watercolor markers (like Tombow) or alcohol markers (like Copics) and even inks from your pads!]

 Final result:

multi-colored, dimensional, glittery butterfly bodies-
clear "white" glittery border around the gold embossed frame-
"pink" glittery frame-
all from Starfire Glitter



Products Used:

  • Image: Stamps Happen Inc "Butterflies" #90247
  • Spellbinders Mega Scallop Rectangles LG
  • Memory Box Curled Ribbons die cut set
  • Martha Stewart Vintage Floral Edge punch
  • Tombow Markers
  • Glitter and Embossing Powder: Sparkle N Sprinkle Starfire Glitter G1017 (on pink cardstock frame, and dimensionally on white cardstock, and butterflies' bodies), Gold Detail EP (on all three layers).

Challenges I'd like to enter pretty please:


  1. The Butterfly Challenge #49 - "G" is for Glitter and/or Grape. 3/8 (used both glitter and red grape color) (mentioned blog in my post above)
  2. Chocolate Coffe and Cards Challenge #103 "Anything Goes" 3/4
  3. Creative Fingers Challenges #103 "Anything Goes" 3/4 (winners post on chal #105)
  4. Simply Create Too Challenges #103 "Use Pink or Red Only" 3/4 (winners may be announced week after)
  5. Stamplorations Theme and Sketch Challenge (Feb M) theme and/or sketch - used the THEME which is Stamps and Triplets 3 of anything (I have 3 butterflies and layers of 3 on each) (mentioned blog in my post above)
  6. Star Stampz Challenges (Feb 18) Monochromatic Challenge 3/4
  7. Southern Girls (Feb 18) "Add A Little Sparkle To Your Life"  Glitter and Embossing Powder (on pink cardstock frame, and dimensionally on white cardstock, and butterflies' bodies), Gold Detail EP (on all three layers).    (sep post for winners)
  8. Crafting for All Seasons Challenges - #120 "Three of Anything" (3 butterflies and layers of 3 on each butterfly) 3/2
  9. Creative Moments Challenges - #87 Anything Goes with Embossing (The image is gold embossed - and the butterflies are triple layered and fussy cut, with gold embossing on each layer) 3/2
  10. Inspiration Destination Challenges - #74 Anything Goes 3/2

Thanks for stopping by!
hugs,

43 comments:

Samra said...

Gorgeous make Donna! Love the fluttery butterflies and such nice bright color!
Hugs
Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Sue said...

WOW, stunning.

Hope you have a good weekend. Sue

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous butterflies, card and fantastic design Donna, love the great gold embossing.

gr karin

Shona Erlenborn said...

Another stunning creation. Those butterflies are simply gorgeous, such a dimensional card. Pretty in pink - beautifully glitterfied!

pam said...

Stunning creation Donna, love butterflies and these sure are gorgeous, beautiful colours and layering, how you fussy cut those antennae`s I could never do them..beautiful card layout.
Sorry I kept bothering you..
Hugs Pam x

Mrs A. said...

Wow Donna. Simmply Stunning. I love your 3D butterflies and the colours are amazing. Thankyou for the shout out for my challenge and thankyou for fluttering by. Your card will be entered into the darw twice as you have used both glitter and the colour. Hugs Mrs A.

Sharon said...

Wooden mounted stamps, there's a blast from the past Donna.
Your image is gorgeous and so beautifully pink. Love your tip with the glitter.
Have a lovely weekend.
Hugs Sharon. x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful butterflies. I love the ones in blue as well but those pink ones you glammed up with the glitter really are beautiful.

Unknown said...

Evening Donna what a beautiful card and the design and butterflies are wonderful

Debs xxx
{Debs Cards}


Patricia St Martin said...

Donna, Great tip!!!! I still have stamps like your butterfly one I just can not take off the wood and will not let go. I can see why you still have it, it is a beautiful stamp. Love the pink frame and the pink glitter is wonderful, all the wonderful layers in gold and love the choice of colors. So sticking!
Hugs Pat

Lisa said...

Oh wow, Donna, I'm so glad you inked up that stamp!! This is stunning!! The butterflies look absolutely amazing!! I love the colors and all of the beautiful sparkle!! Each detail you added is perfect!! I love this!! It's stunning!! Have a great weekend my friend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Christina Hor said...

Oh gorgeously done with those butterflies Donna! Such beautiful details and I love the gold emboss. Thanks for the great tips too! I still have many wood mount stamps and love working with them. Stunning card Donna. Wishing you a lovely weekend ahead. Hugs - Christina

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card love the beautiful embossed layered butterflies,rich colours and all the sparkle
carol x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, Donna! This looks amazing! Those butterflies are gorgeous! What a beautiful, sparkly card! Love the colour too! Yes, I remember the wood-mounted stamp days! Now you hardly ever see them around! Good for you for using this one!

brenda said...

A totally glorious creation Donna, the butterflies could just float off the page with all the dimension you have given them.

Hope you are keeping as well as,

B x

Jean Bullock said...

Love those dimensional butterflies! Great fussy cutting too. The layout is so pretty. Thanks for the info about the glitter. Nice to know it can be colored. Kind of cool that the butterflies match the butterfly gif at the end of the post. Well done, my friend! (I will pin this later as I am on my old computer which can't access the Pinterest login anymore. I will have to pin when I use my iPad.)

Becky said...

Beautiful, beautiful card. What patience you have. The longer it takes me to create a card, the more chances I have and the more likely I am to mess it up. Your creations are always gorgeous. I know Paula will love it.

Becky
Www.mypapermoon.com

SD pooja said...

Those grape colored butterflies are drop dead Gorgeous !! Loved the layering and the beautiful frame !

SD pooja said...

Those grape colored butterflies are drop dead Gorgeous !! Loved the layering and the beautiful frame !

Pamellia said...

Wow, gorgeous Donna!! Those butterflies are just amazing! I love the gold embossing, and the many many layers of wings really creates a sense of movement! STUNNING!! Can't go wrong with glitter, especially for a lovely butterfly card! hugs :)

Linda Vich said...

This is quite the card Donna! Your use of three layers, all using a different technique gives a stunning, frilly look to your butterflies! Well done! I also appreciate your tip on the glitter!

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is awesome sweetie. Such gorgeous colours and layers. A real wow creation. So glad you have used this neglected poor stamp on this gorgeous creation.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

cotnob said...

This is absolutely stunning Donna, your butterflies are beautiful and I love the gorgeous pinks and glittery frame.
Pauline
x

Karen said...

Donna, visiting you today is a jackpot of glittery inspiration! I never know what will await me, but I know it will be spectacular. The butterflies are exquisite (to say the least) and so beautifully unique. The sparkle throughout your project is breathtaking... and of course your design is perfection. This truly makes my heart flutter with joy. Wonderful work as always, my dear friend. Thinking of you and sending tons of hugs and prayers your way!

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Cara said...

Absolutely stunning Donna!

Shirley said...

Love those butterflies Donna and the colours are soooo vibrant and shiny. Lots of yummy stamping and the design of the cards are amazing.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Stampsnob. said...

Donna this is beautiful I can visualize you in your room ( and out of it ) creating these lovely butterflies ..Lis

Leslie Miller said...

Wow! So beautiful and interesting start to finish! Love the stamp. Oh, my goodness, you're talking about days I remember and I might have some of those unused woodblock stamps, too. Not sure, but maybe. Probably not as pretty as this one. Love the gold embossing and pretty coloring and all the glitter. One would never guess this stamp was not brand new. By the way, love those pink grapes, too!

maria f. said...

Those may be the most beautiful butterflies I have ever seen!

Nancy Hill said...

Love your detailed tutorial and tip about glitter beside your gorgeous card with the butterflies that were layered to give them the beautiful 3-D look. Very well done from the card to the posting!!!

Pia S said...

You've had this beautiful stamp, it was just waiting for the perfect moment, and oh my, perfect is how I'd describe this card! They look fabulous these butterflies, given dimension and teamed up with the pink sparkly paper. Wowzers!

Lori Kobular said...

Beautiful card! Love those gorgeous butterflies and that stamp is great!

Peanut said...

Oh wow! What a stunner, Donna.
x Asha

Sue said...

I always know I am in for some fabulous bling when I visit you! I knew that was a Stamps Happen stamp the minute I saw it. LOVED their Stamps. Have a drawer full of them too. Brilliant butterflies and that sparkly border are so beautiful. Love how you layered them and the colors you chose. Can't wait to see butterflies again around our pond.

Hugs
Sue

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Donna, that stamp totally makes me smile! We've been doing this for way too long, ha ha ha! But it thrills me to see you breathing new life into this stamp, I do the same thing all the time! The very few stamps I have parted with I ended up wishing I had back later! ;0 This design is so beautiful, love the dimension, I'm cooking up the same sort of thing and my hands ached from all the hand cutting. Love, love this shape of card too, sweetie. Hugs, Autumn

Anne Temple said...

Gorgeous!!! Love the bright, vivid colors and all the layers!! Great tip about the "colorless" glitter. My go to is usually sparkling snow or lavender iris :-)

Barb said...

Beautiful creation and wonderful colors. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafting for all Seasons, hope to see you again. Barb

Unknown said...

Gorgeous and those butterflies are stunning! Thank you for joining us at Crafting For All Seasons challenge. Hope to see you again very soon. Mary DT xx

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,

wow, wow, wow, ich bin begeistert von deiner wundervollen Karte. Die Schmetterling in 3 D zu gestalten finde ich super. Das mache ich auch sehr gern. Ich finde es toll wenn man denkt die Schmetterlinge fliegen gleich davon.
Du hast so toll beschrieben wie du alles gemacht hast und davon bin ich sehr beeindruckt. Ich wünsche dir noch einen wunderschönen Tag mit vielen kreativen Ideen. Ganz liebe Knuddelgrüße Hugs Silvi

Karenladd said...

SO gorgeous with all that color and glittery goodness! Love the tip about buying just one neutral glitter and customizing to your project. Yes I do remember way back when , when the only stamps were wood and rubber. I still have my original wood mounted stamps as well, and there is probably one or two that hasn't yet seen ink. Isn't it wonderful to dig deep into your stash and make something beautiful?

coldwaters2 said...

Donna you have been busy I cannot believe I have missed seeing your awesome creation this one is stunning with all that sparkle and those wonderful butterflies, beautiful creation
hugs
Lorraine x

Petra Swart said...

WOW, all the sparkle are soooooooo beautiful and your butterflies are fabulous, Donna!!!! A lot of work went into this card, but it was worth all the effort!!!! You really made such a special and wonderful card, my friend!!! The pinks with the gold are lovely and the delicate frame on the outside is so pretty!!!! This is really beautiful, Donna!!!!
Happy to see you crafting, friend!!! Hope you're well!!!
Hugz

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS butterflies! Love the glitter and that tip! Clever!