My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Christmas Cheer {Scrapy Land}

Welcome to my projects for the 7th Scrapy Land Challenge!
AND
a CAS tutorial using this pretty die.

This card trio features the beautiful Die'sire - Christmas Present die cut set
With the festive embossed ribbons, this die cut set is great for elegant birthday and anniversary cards.
Die-sire Create-a-Card dies are from the United Kingdom, 
making them more expensive in the US, however, most dies are sold below the MSRP at the Scrapy Land on-line store.

NOTE: Dies coming from the UK and Europe are more expensive due to the high cost of shipping from the distributor to the U.S. retailer.


The Challenge is open until December 14. 
The theme is ANYTHING GOES using any die manufacturer which Scrapy Land sells (electronic die cuts do not qualify)Scrapy Land sells over 40 brands of dies, including overseas products, and most are at a great discount
  plus free shipping over $45!


My Projects use the following Scrapy Land die cuts:
(please see product listing below for other dies used)


The Memory Box String of Bells (shown below) is cut from gold glossy cardstock. 
This card uses a not-quite-salmony color called Mountain Rose. Galaxy Gold Brilliance ink and Mountain Rose dye ink have been applied to the white panels.  

Inside:

Below my card also uses Sue Wilson die cuts (also out of the UK):
Both are marked down 5% at this time.

The base also uses:
Impression Obsession Christmas bell die cut in gold glossy
Spellbinders Grand Scallops
SU roses ribbon border
Sparkle N Sprinkle Palm Green Cosmic embossing powder


Close Up of the Die-sire die cuts: 

This die is connected as a single piece 
        (ensuring perfectly placed cuts), 
                but cuts two separate shapes shown below.


I was surprised that this die does not have a cutting edge around the outside of the die. 

It must be trimmed by hand, or have a previously die cut shape ready before using the Die'sire die. 

So I have created a flat, "clean-and-simple" card tutorial below to show how this die is easily utilized. If mailed in a rectangularly shaped envelope, the finished card will use a single stamp:


Tutorial:

The sentiment can be placed on the back of a card when this sort of design is created:

Because the bells on the back were adhered with Xyron 150 applicator, some of the stickiness stays around the edge of the die cut. Some clear glitter sticks to that stickiness and makes the die cut look prettier. You probably cannot see that unless the photo is clicked on to enlarge.


I STRUCK GOLD!

DOING THE HAPPY DANCE to have "found" my gold and silver glossy cardstock - long forgotten - it was purchased some 10 years ago from Marcos Papers and was still in its original packaging.

Do you ever re-discover a long-ago-purchased item still in the original packaging?

Thanks for visiting! I always appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Do you read my blog posts via e-mail? Sometimes I mention to "click to enlarge" or to "leave a comment". To participate in those activities, just click on the title of the email to come directly to my blog post. Then click on photos to enlarge them, or leave a comment. Thank you!

Stamping Hugs,


Products Used:
Scrapy Land Sue Wilson Spanish Collection - Valencia
Scrapy Land Sue Wilson Spanish Collection - Corner, Border and Tag
Scrapy Land Sue Wilson Spanish Collection - Cordoba
Scrapy Land Die'sire - Christmas Present
Scrapy Land Memory Box String of Bells
Spellbinders Grand Scalloped Squares LF127
Spellbinders Grand Labels One LF161
Spellbinders Grand Decorative Labels One LF018
Spellbinders Long Classic Scalloped Rectangles (LG) S4-143
Spellbinders Petite Scalloped Oval (SM) S4-141
Impression Obsession Bells
EKSuccess Corner Punch
Stamps: IO Warmest Thoughts, SU Elegant Cheer, SU Merry Christmas
Brilliance Inks: Pearlescent Lime, Gold Galaxy, Rocket Red
Other Ink: Mountain Rose Dye Base, VersaMark
Sparkle N Sprinkle embossing powder: Detail Gold, Palm Green

Challenges Entered:

  1. Christmas Card Challenges - #53 Anything Goes - 12/6
  2. Fan-Tastic Tuesday - #64 - Anything Embossed (dry embossing in each design and wet embossing on 2 of the cards) 12/10
  3. My Creative Moments Monday Morning Creative Challenge - #1 Anything Christmas or Winter - 12/27
  4. Craft Hoarders Anonymous - #21 Celebrate the Season Hoarded Items - My Christmas cards use hoarded SU rose ribbon which was purchased over a year ago and never used. It also FINALLY uses pretty Gold Glossy cardstock (I actually forgot about it - it was purchased from Marcos some 10 years ago and was in the original packaging when I RE-discovered it last month!) 12/14
  5. Emerald Faeries Challenge - #62 Red and Green (card #2) 12/31
  6. Seemacrafts Challenge - December - "Christmas" 12/31
  7. Sweet Stamps Challenge - #198 Christmas Spirit 12/7

60 comments:

Paula said...

Donna my friend, each one of these cards is lovely. I really like the Die-sire die and what you have done with it. It would look so pretty done up on a box lid, at least that's how I am seeing it. That way one could take a peek at what was inside the box.

Jane Savage said...

These designs are incredible, Donna! Those dies are amazing and give a wonderful look! xxx

Anne Temple said...

Fabulous! Great tutorial too. My favorite step is step #4. Now I want some of those dies too :-)

KT Fit Kitty said...

Hello, dear Donna! Gorgeous card and gorgeous die cuts! Thank you for the tutorial! I love the touch of gold! Hope you are having a good day today, my friend. Sending hugs, Kitty.

Lori Kobular said...

Donna ~ OMG!! You do such beautiful and intricate work! I love all of your cards and the dies that you used! I see my Christmas Wish List getting longer and longer after seeing your awesome cards!!

Shona Erlenborn said...

These are all stunning Donna. Love the little gold bell additions to these awesome creations. Do I really need another die? After seeing these - I think I do!Love that they are all different, just with colors and style of card. You really showcased these dies perfectly.

KarinsArtScrap said...

these are very beautiful Donna
Gr Karin

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Donna, all three cards are very beautiful with the wonderful layers and embellishments. The gold bells are gorgeous. I hope you are dong well. It's very dreary here, has been for at least a month... enjoy your sunshine :) Hugs, Shirleyxx

Sue said...

Beautiful cards.

Hope you are having a good day. Sue

jimlynn said...

Great tutorial and gorgeous, gorgeous cards! All that gold just shines and love all the wonderful details on these. Beautiful dies too!
Lynn

KraftyKoolKat said...

Three such awesome creations Donna. Each one of them is so stylish and pretty.
Hope you are well sweetie.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

lost coast scrapper said...

Beautiful dye work and tutorial! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Sue said...

Such a stunning selection of cards Donna. Your designs using those wonderful dies are gorgeous, I love the colours and beautiful detailing on each.
hugs Sue xx

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, Donna, these are all stunning!! Wow - the details!! They look amazing!! And what an awesome tutorial, too!! (LOL step 4 ;) I am adding that die to my wish list - it makes beautiful cards!! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! Love them!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

cotnob said...

This is a fabulous collection of cards Donna, I love you Create-a-Card die and Sue Wilson dies are some of my all time favourites - your cards are all so elegant and beautifully finished.
I quite often loose things still in the original packaging - as to re-discovering them, not often!
Pauline
x

Tammy said...

Wonderful collection of holiday cards and each one is so pretty! Thanks for taking the time to do a tutorial!

Stampsnob. said...

WOW! You have been working it girl. not only beautiful cards but a new look to the blog All great stuff Thanks for the detailed TT if nothing else make me appreciate the work that goes into these.........Lis

pam said...

hi Donna, three fantastic card designs, beautiful colours and embellishments..
thank you a great tutorial..
Big Hugs Pam x

Verna Angerhofer said...

You certainly have some awesome diecut works of art there. All are just magnificent!

Sharon said...

Such gorgeous dies Donna and even more gorgeous cards. Love your colour choices and each card is beautifully designed.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Hugs Sharon. x

Karenladd said...

I had to chuckle at your description of this card as a clean and simple one....simple it is not!! Oh, and thanks for the tip to wait for the furry feline to finish walking across your project, a very important step indeed!! These are just gorgeous, with all the layers and beautiful dies!

Jean Bullock said...

Great tutorial. I especially like step #4. I would have to skip that one, lol. Wonderful cards. I love how you used the flowers for the "stop" on the easel card. The String of Bells and the Christmas Bell dies are very cool. Great idea to use clear glitter on the sticky edges. Definitely going to try that sometime. Much easier than using a rubber pickup. Very cool color combinations and I like how you brushed the ink over the raised bits.

You've done an excellent job of showcasing these dies. My favorite of these cards is the first one. I love the colors and of course Sue Wilson's dies. Well done! (Not surprised though, you always do a wonderful job.)

Patricia St Martin said...

Donna, WOW!!!! This is not a CAS card girlfriend. These are just gorgeous and I love everyone of them you did an amazing job and you tutorial is wonderful, thank you so much for doing that. I'm going to have to copy that and give these a try. That's so much for sharing these with us.
Hugs, Pat

Unknown said...

Utterly stunning cards Donna, and fabulous step by step, thank you for sharing hun, hugs xxx

La Papera Gialla said...

Thanks for entering our Anything Goes Challenge at Christmas Card Challenges!
Monica - CCC DT

Glenda said...

Great cards and I love the tutorial! Thanks for sharing at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

McCrafty's Cards said...

These are all so gorgeous Donna, I love all the elegant die cuts your designs are always beautiful
Kevin xx

Shirley said...

Three totally stunning cards Donna. Love the way you describe them as CAS they look so much more than that. Fabby step by step, you are a marvel sweets.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

SD pooja said...

Super Stunning cards Donna ! Loved the tut you have shared :)

Becky said...

Another gorgeous card. Thanks for sharing. :-)

NanaConnie said...

Spectacular, Donna! What a fabulous die. That one is on my Wish List for sure. Love the color combo with the gold paper and those bells are such a delightful finishing touch to the front of the card.

creative lady said...

Nice card, love all the dies you used. Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous.

Ellibelle said...

Stunning card designs and gorgeous colors too! Thanks so much for playing in my Monday Morning challenge!

April said...

What beautiful cards, colors and dies! Love them! xo

Amber Milone said...

Stunning embossed diecut cards! I love the touches of gold and how elegant they look. Thanks for joining us at CHACB!

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliantly designed, lovely colour combo and gorgeous added beauties.xx
aNNie
{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

Unknown said...

wow i so want one of these dies . fantastic cards and fabulous tut . thank you for sharing over at seemacrafts

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - some fancy die work here. Lovely cards, great tutorial, and beautiful dies. I was trying to hold out and not purchase anymore dies, but it is getting harder and harder! Love these! Hugz

Chris said...

Beautiful cards and a great Tutorial. Thank you for joining in at Seemacrafts. Chris xx

Denise Goeldner said...

Fantastic creations, love them all and the tutorial a bonus addition. Thanks so much for joining us over at Emerald Faeries Challenge Blog, good luck and hope to see you again.
~ Denise DT ~
Emerald Faeries Challenge Blog
{Denise's Patch of Creativity}
{Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenge} starts Jan 4th 2015

Gerlinde said...

These are beautiful, Donna! Love the dies and the colors, and of course all the details! Gorgeous!

Carol L said...

Very impressive creations today! That die is beautiful and I love what you've done with it! Thanks for the detailed tutorial too! Beautiful cards!

pauline said...

Stunning ,thank you for joining at Seemacrafts Pauline DT

Unknown said...

Beautiful card, great use of diecuts, thanks for joining us at Seemacrafts

crafty-stamper said...

Gorgeous card love the dies and great step by step
carol x

Sherrie K. said...

These are all AMAZING!!! I love the dies you used...the cards have so much dimension and texture...love it!
Sherrie K

Raechelle Bellus said...

Wow! These cards are incredibly beautiful and detailed! Amazing work!

Benzi said...

How awesome are your dies!!!!!!!! And, a tutorial, too. You are the best, De. I love those bells...they are one of my favorite things...goes back to my childhood at Christmas. It all happened with a set of pretty bells my Mom hung on the door (outside) at Christmas.

The inks you have used are just beautiful and so are those beautiful rose ribbons.

Oh, and I'm glad you "struck gold" and found that awesome paper.

Amy A said...

Pure Gold! Love these cards Donna! Great design and loving those die cuts. Thank you for playing along with us at Emerald Faeries Challenges- We sure hope you join us again!

Amy- DT Emerald Faeries Challenges
{Lil Cutie Creations}

Sue said...

Donna, I am loving the Sue Wilson dies, and her videos. Your cards are beautiful! Great colors and loving the inside sentiment too. Such pretty cards, with the beautiful dies, you have been busy.

Hugs
Sue

MaryH said...

Oh Wowsers! I'm playing catchup tonight, and boy am I happy I landed here! I love these dies (and have some of these). These cards are just the most gorgeous and you've used some fabulous papers with them. Will have to chk the prices on the SW & Die'Sire dies at Scrapy. Thanks for doing the tutorial, as my 1st attempt with the Die'Sire was not a superb effort. (card was ok, just not as pretty as I should have done!) Will be back when I catch up, to peruse this tutorial. What you did on the posted cards, looks just absolutely grand. Like the idea of one stamp too! TFS & Hugs

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my! Completely fabulous, and now I see all kinds of dies and things I want. Too bad I already went on a Christmas die shopping spree and now I've hardly used any of them, tsk tsk. I will have to design some cards around the dies for next year, I think.

JD/ Jill said...

These are all so stunning! and to answer your question. Yes, I often will find something that I had totally forgotten that I had purchased...I then feel like I am shopping in my own craft room...LOL!

Gloria Stengel said...

So elegant and impressive. I love the embossing and the die shapes. Spectacular! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

brenda said...

I'm a very late visitor to this post Donna, followed a link from Ellies blog. Checking back this didn't appear on my reading list, no idea what Blogger is up to lately.

Anyhow, hope you are OK as can be and what a lovely display of work.

B x

JAH said...

Thank you for entering at Seema crafts. Beautiful intricate cards. :-D

Linda said...

These are gorgeous!

Desire Fourie said...

Donna these are just so beautifully festive. Loving the dies you used and the wonderful wording on them.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW what a feast for the eyes!!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Petra Swart said...

These are three gorgeous cards, Donna!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to show how you did it!!! I love that furry friend just checking on what you are busy with - I often have to wait pasiently for our Timothy cat to get off my stuff that I'm busy with, or to get away from the computer screen when I'm busy using the computer!!! Seems as if all cats are the same, hey!!! And how great to discover something you have had for ages, but it got 'lost' in between all your other stuff!!!! I love the gold you have struck!!!!
Lovely cards, Donna!!!!