My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Cactus Massacre

Wintry Pink Greetings from Florida and welcome to another Creativity-with-Mother-Nature moment LOL!

Every March my Christmas Cacti experience a massacre. The plants are in tiny clay pots (4"-5").

I give them "buzz" hair cuts, meaning it looks like a lawn mowing.

The cut-off pieces are rooted directly in a clay pot where they grow for 9 months before blooming.


Every holiday season, 3-4 of these plants make their way to someone else's home.



Then the cycle is repeated the following March. The mama plant is in a 3" clay pot nestled in the green ceramic pot on the right side of the 2nd shelf. It is about 15 years old and has never been repotted.

These types of cacti are actually "air plants". In the wild, they grow attached to tree trunks, boughs or shallow soil. They are happiest when root-bound. These easy-to-grow plants prefer not being over-watered. African Violet or other bloom-related fertilizer is perfect for them!

Have fun trimming your Christmas Cactus and making some babies!

Blooming hugs,


17 comments:

NanaConnie said...

Oh, how I wish I lived in your neighborhood in Florida instead of clear across the entire continent. I know one of these magnificent plants would find its way to my house, then. :-D They are gorgeous when blooming! Merry Christmas.

Brenda said...

They're gorgeous!!! I always loved them, but even in Florida didn't have much success. As DH says, I have the black thumb LOL. My grandparents had one (don't think they ever cut it back or anything) - it was HUGE and just beautiful when it bloomed. Thanks for sharing :)

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Your Christmas Cactus are gorgeous! I love them. Thanks for the information, very interesting. Have a wonderful Christmas and best Wishes for 2013 ! Cheers, Shirleyx

creativearts said...

Your plants are beautiful and they show how great you take care of them! Also, what nice Christmas presents they make. Let me know when I can pick mine up! LOL.

Katy said...

Wow these are so pretty!

Debi said...

I'd love to see your plants after their "haircut". I'll have to try this myself. Mine is 3 years old and blooming right on schedule too. But it's not nearly as gorgeous as yours. Thanks for the tips.

Anne Temple said...

Wow - wish I lived close by so your green thumb might rub off on me just a little bit. I'm just happy when a plant doesn't die. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas

April said...

These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! Hugs

Tip Top said...

Beautiful plants! I had one for around 20+ years but I think its finally gone but I hardly did anything with it and it had beautiful red flowers each year!

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog and yes of course you can copy the fold - let me know how you get on!!

Merry Christmas!

Curt in Indy said...

Your Christmas cacti are astoundingly beautiful and I love your ritual. . .what wonderful gifts. Thanks for your comment on SCS. . .It was very much appreciated! Happy New Year! Best, Curt

Leslie Miller said...

This makes a wonderful gift at Christmas time! Yours all look so healthy and are blooming beautifully.

Shirley said...

What gorgeous plants, Donna, and thanks for all of the information too. I just might have to give them a try with our drought weather we have been having. A very Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year to you and your hubby too!!! Here's to all of us in the New Year!!

Barbara Bruder said...

Gorgeous cacti!!!

Carol Hurlock said...

Your plants are gorgeous. I must remember this. I am not really good with plants-but I love them! I love putting potted plants and hanging plants throughout my backyard. I don't know about you but it has been really windy here the last couple days-your about 3 hours from us. Hope you have a Happy New Year filled with creative pleasures!
Bear Hugs,
Carol

Elly said...

Happy NewYear to you too Donna (smile :-)

Auntie Em said...

Your plants are so pretty! My mother loved her very old Christmas cactus. She would store it upstairs in one of the back bedrooms which were cooler and didn't get the sunlight and it was hardly watered at all, if ever for about three months. Then she would bring it out into the sunshine and water it well. There would be so many blooms all over it. She wouldn't turn it once the blooms set on and it had to sit in one window only. Heaven help us kids if we went near it! lol
Thank you for the lovely photos of your plants, the fun memory jog and for visiting my blog. Happy New Year to you and all your family! :)

Candy's Creations Blog said...

Amazing! My mother-in-law has a beautiful Christmas cactus she can get to bloom but I can't get a plant to grow in doors to save my life. I do have beautiful perennial flower beds in the summer here in Indiana. I just love flowers! Happy New Year!